Leben in Griechenland

Eine praktische Anleitung zum Verschieben, Wohnen, Arbeiten und Reisen in Griechenland, sowie nachdenklich und Missgeschicke von einem amerikanischen in Athen

Griechische Staatsbürgerschaft durch Einbürgerung

Griechenland hat zwei Einbürgerungs Prozesse, durch die in Frage kommenden Personen können griechische Staatsbürgerschaft zu erwerben und griechischen Pass .

Die erste ist eine kürzere Einbürgerungsverfahren für Menschen griechischer Herkunft, Abstammung oder Herkunft mit einer Oma, Opa oder Ur-Großeltern in Griechenland geboren, die derzeit im Abschnitt " griechische Staatsbürgerschaft durch Anspruch griechischen Ursprungs . "

The second is a longer and expensive naturalization process described below for EU and non-EU citizens of no Greek descent who are interested in acquiring Greek citizenship after marriage to a Greek citizen and/or several years residence in Greece via a permit to live in Greece. Though known as having the most stringent citizenship requirements in the world on par with Switzerland, the new Greek Citizenship Code passed in 2010 lowered the application fee from 1500 euros to 700 euros and the required years of residency in Greece from 10 of 12 years to seven (7) years.

However, be aware that the Greek government froze all applications for foreigners of no Greek origin as of November 2012, and only persons of Greek blood can obtain citizenship at this time.

*Article last updated February 14, 2014. Answers in 'Comments' reflect a specific case or whatever laws were in effect at the time, and the government is still debating revisions to Greek citizenship rules .


Some “official” sites still display the old code or an incomplete translation of the new code, which is why I did my own translation in cooperation with a Greek-American lawyer.

Greek, American, Russian, Cypriot and UK lawyers, plus expat websites and Turkish bloggers, have reused portions of my article without permission and refuse to honor copyright, so you are not necessarily getting confirmation from different sources.

Be careful who you trust.

Challenge to New Greek Citizenship Code 3838/2010

Certain sections of the new Greek Citizenship Code were challenged, and a supreme court ruled them 'unconstitutional' in February 2011.

The court was scheduled to issue a final decision at the end of 2011, but ex-PM George Papandreou — the man who ordered overhaul of Greek citizenship laws — stepped down November 2011, and the Council of State upheld “some sections” were unconstitutional in November 2012. Even before this latest ruling, the new government that took power in June 2012 said they would change them again. We are (still) waiting for those amendments to be officially published.

Many municipalities refuse to accept applications, though they are lawfully required to keep taking them under the current law. If this happens to you, contact the Greek ombudsman .

On November 30, 2012, the government froze all procedures pertaining to granting Greek citizenship, passports and national IDs to persons of non-Greek origin. On February 5, 2013, it was announced that all non-Greek foreigners granted Greek citizenship under the 2010 reform may lose voting rights and, possibly, their Greek passports and Greek IDs.

On October 15, 2013, the Ministry of Interior announced that a new Immigration Code had been drafted and would impact citizenship. However, it has not been debated in Parliament or officially published (expected date is sometime in 2014).

On February 14, 2014, Greece announced that the new immigration bill does not and will not address Greek citizenship for foreigners, and all non-Greeks and the Greek diaspora can no longer vote in elections. The official revision to the citizenship code promised by early 2014 has been postponed indefinitely.

Dual Citizenship

Before starting the process of acquiring dual citizenship with Greece, it is imperative you research the relevant country's stance before committing unintentional acts that may risk your current citizenship. Some countries allow it; some do not. Inquire at consulate/embassy or your homeland's federal government office, not a friend, relative or forum.

Benefits of dual citizenship with Greece

Non-EU citizens typically seek dual citizenship with Greece or another EU member state as a path to living and working in a European country without restriction. Others have uniquely personal reasons. If you have an ancestor born in an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, it may be easier and faster to stake a claim to EU citizenship via ancestry. See, “ Acquiring EU citizenship through an ancestor .”

Non-Greek EU citizens often seek dual citizenship with Greece because the Hellenic Republic shows preference toward its own citizens, even though all EU citizens should lawfully enjoy equal rights and treatment in all member states.

Marrying for Greek citizenship

Marrying for Greek citizenship is not automatic or easy, as citizenship is not transferable by marriage alone. All EU and non-EU citizens interested in Greek citizenship must prove fluency in Greek, fulfill long-term residency requirements by living in Greece for many years and go through the naturalization process described below.

Marrying a Greek citizen also does not mean you qualify for a Greek passport or Greek national ID . It only shortens residency requirement to apply for Greek citizenship to three (3) years if a child or children are produced from the union. Nothing more. A less bureaucratic process for non-EU family members is to obtain a residence/work permit based on marriage to a Greek or other EU citizen, which grants rights on par with EU residents and involves no fee and no language requirements. See, “ Residence/work permits for non-EU family members of Greek/EU citizens .”

Warning to men

All men with Greek citizenship and/or of Greek descent between the ages of 19-45 must perform national service, unless an exemption applies. Men who become naturalized Greek citizens typically serve six (6) months. See “ Mandatory Greek military service ” for more information.

Basic criteria for Greek citizenship

1. Be aged 18 or over.

2. No criminal record or outstanding deportation order
– No pending judgments of deportation
– In 10 years prior to date of application for citizenship, must not have been sentenced to six (6) months to up to one (1) year for dangerous crime, such as homicide, rape, physical violence, drug dealing, money laundering, child abduction, etc.

3(a). Be married and have a child or children with a Greek citizen, and be legally living in Greece for 3 years
– Must be married three (3) full years from the wedding date; und
– Must be legally living in Greece for three (3) full, consecutive years with a long-term residence permit/card; und
– Must have a child or children with his/her Greek spouse
*It does not matter if the marriage is civil or religious. All that matters is the marriage is legal, registered and still valid.
3(b). Have custody of a child or children who are Greek citizens, and be legally living in Greece for three (3) years.
3(c). You are single/divorced, married to a non-Greek, or married to a Greek with no children and have seven (7) years legal residence in Greece
– Must be legally living in Greece with a long-term residence permit/card for seven (7) consecutive years prior to the date of application.
– Must not have an absence of 10 continuous months in the last five (5) years before application.

Refugees are recognized under the 1951 Geneva Convention and must have a total of five (5) years residency in Greece.

If you do not meet the three basic criteria, you may qualify for Greek citizenship another way. See “ Ways to acquire Greek citizenship .”

Documents, fee and fingerprints required

If the applicant meets the three basic criteria listed above, the following documents must be gathered, a fee paid and fingerprints given.

1. An application completed in Greek
– Where to get a Greek citizenship application or an Aitisi Politografisis:
a) the Interior Ministry at 31 Stadiou Street in person or by calling the citizenship office at (210) 324-9683 or alternative numbers of (210) 324-9465 or (210) 324-9314 to request one be sent somewhere within Greece
b) the mayor's office (dimarxeio) or city hall of your municipality
c) the Greek consulate/embassy nearest your residence, if outside Greece.
* Note: There are no online Greek citizenship forms available. I recommend making a photocopy and using it as a test-run, then fill out the original later. Liquid paper or blanco is frowned upon.

2. A formal statement of naturalization in Greek
Certified statement (dilosi) , signed in the presence of the mayor or the head of the village council or Greek consulate/embassy and two witnesses who are Greek citizens

3. A photocopy of the applicant's passport or valid travel document
– A translation to Greek is only necessary if the information on this document is not written in Latin characters. See, “ Official translations to Greek ” if you need assistance.

4. A photocopy of the applicant's current Greek residence permit

5. Applicant's birth certificate from his/her homeland with apostille attached
– An official long-form birth certificate must be issued from applicant's birth city, then affixed with apostille from the same place. See “ How to get an apostille ” if you need assistance.
– Birth certificate with apostille attached must be translated to Greek. See, “ Official translations to Greek ” if you need assistance.
– The original and one (1) photocopy

6. Applicant's most recent printed income tax return (ekkatharistiko) from the Greek tax office/eforia/DOY
– If you are unemployed, a copy of your spouse's tax return from the Greek tax office/eforia/DOY is required or a statement of income from outside the country, which has been translated into Greek and certified by police
– If you are single/divorced, you must provide evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself
– One photocopy and the original for inspection

7. Applicant's fingerprints
– Taken at his/her local police station, which includes verification with the application.
– See a map book or call information to find a police station nearest your residence

8. Parabolo (certified receipt of deposit) for 700 euros
– Paid at the Greek tax office/eforia/DOY under applicant's AFM (Greek tax number)
– Fee is non-refundable
– Original and one (1) photocopy

9. A2 certificate issued by IDEKE that applicant has sufficient knowledge of Greek
– Obtained by taking 100 hours of free Greek language classes and/or passing a test.
– See, “ Free Greek language lessons ” to sign up for classes or take the examination.
9. Completion of at least three (3) years of secondary school education in Greece
9. Certificate/diploma from any high school in Greece.
– Two (2) photocopies, plus original for inspection

10. A2 certificate issued by IDEKE that applicant has sufficient knowledge of Greek history/culture
– Obtained by taking 25 hours of ancient Greek history and culture classes and/or passing a test.
– See “ IDEKE Greek history/culture lessons ” to sign up for classes or take the examination.
– Two (2) photocopies, plus original for inspection

11. AMKA
– See “ AMKA: Greek social security number ” if you need assistance.
– Two (2) copies of your card or a printout from your insurance fund/KEP verifying your number, plus original for inspection.

What happens next?

* The application and accompanying documents should be taken and submitted to the mayor's office (dimarxeio), city hall or village council (koinotita) in your local municipality

* The municipality forwards the application to the local prefecture, where officials will forward it to the regional general secretary for approval if everything is in order.

* If approved, a copy of the applicant's Type 'A' criminal record certificate is requested from the Ministry of Citizen Protection.

* Die Anwendung wird dann auf das Innenministerium, wo die Einbürgerungsausschuss wird ein persönliches Gespräch innerhalb von sechs (6) Monaten zur Beurteilung weitergeleitet anfordern:
- Ihre Sprachkenntnisse in Griechisch;
- Ihr Wissen über die griechische Kultur und alte Geschichte;
- "High moralischen Standards, starken Charakter und Persönlichkeit" (alle subjektiven);
- Der Besitz von "feste und regelmäßige Einkünfte," Krankenversicherung und ein Haus, dass "erfüllt die geforderten Spezifikationen für die Hygiene" (subjektiv, da keine Richtlinien)
Hinweis: Wenn der Antragsteller nicht zeigen, bis zu diesem Interview, ist sein / ihr Antrag auf griechische Staatsbürgerschaft automatisch abgelehnt.

* Innerhalb von vier (4) Monaten nach dem Interview, Einbürgerungsausschuss des Innenministeriums ist verpflichtet, eine Entscheidung schriftlich zu machen und dem Antragsteller eine Kopie.

* Wenn es genehmigt wird, wird die Entscheidung im Amtsblatt der Regierung veröffentlicht werden und der Antragsteller werden per Telefon / Brief benachrichtigt und aufgefordert werden, das Büro des Bürgermeisters (dimarxeio), Rathaus oder Gemeinderat (koinotita), um eine Staatsbürgerschaft Eid innerhalb eines (1 nehmen ) Jahr der Veröffentlichung der Entscheidung und holen ihre Papiere.

Wie lange dauert die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft Prozess?

Die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft Prozess über eine Einbürgerung von der Bewerbung um eine Antwort zu erhalten (Genehmigung oder Ablehnung) nur ein (1) Jahr nach dem neuen Gesetz, das vorherige Wartezeiten von 2-10 Jahren verbessert.

Der griechische Ombudsmann kann in Ihrem Namen ohne Kosten zu intervenieren, wenn Sie gewartet zu viel Zeit haben. Es ist nicht notwendig, einen Anwalt zu bekommen.

Es gab 180.000 anhängige Anträge in der Warteschlange für im Ausland geborene Griechen Abstecken über Abstammung oder Herkunft einen Anspruch auf die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft ab Februar 2011 und 7700 Anträge auf Staatsbürgerschaft von Nicht-Griechen als der Dezember 2011. Rund 10.000 Fälle werden jedes Jahr überprüft.

Wie sollten Sie von hier lebenden mehreren Jahren wissen, gibt es nichts, was Sie tun können, um den Prozess zu beschleunigen. Griechenland ist ein "Ergebnisse können variieren" Land und Dinge getan (oder nicht) in der Zeit.

Sobald die Staatsbürgerschaft erteilt wird, kann die neue griechische Bürger für einen griechischen Reisepass und griechische National ID (tautotita) anzuwenden. .” Siehe " Wie man einen griechischen Pass zu bekommen "und" Wie ein griechischer Staatsangehöriger ID zu bekommen . "

Was ist, wenn ich versagt?

Wenn die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft verweigert wird, wird der Antragsteller die Ursache (n) schriftlich gegeben werden. Er / sie hat das Recht, die Entscheidung schriftlich innerhalb von 15 Tagen fordern und keine Beweise vorlegen, um die Einbürgerungskommission.

Wenn die Entscheidung ist endgültig und griechische Staatsbürgerschaft nicht erteilt wird, kann sich die Klägerin erneut ein (1) Jahr ab dem Datum der Entscheidung des Ausschusses (nicht das Datum, das Sie ursprünglich Ihr Antrag) gelten, nach dem gleichen Verfahren wie oben beschrieben. Die Gebühr beträgt 200 Euro erneut.

* Bitte beachten Sie andere Optionen für die EU-Bürgerschaft und Genehmigungen am Ende von diesem Post in "Ähnliche Beiträge".

Kontaktinformationen in Griechenland

Innenministerium Citizenship Amt
31 Stadiou Straße
(210) 324-9683
(210) 324-9465 alternative
(210) 324-9314 alternative

KEP (Citizen Services Centres)

Büro des Oberbürgermeisters (Dimarxeio) oder Rathaus
Jede Gemeinde hat ihre eigene; finden, indem KEP bei '1500 ', Beratung eine Karte oder den Zugriff auf Verzeichnisverwaltung

In den Nachrichten

"Französisch Bürger wartet 10 Jahre für Anwendung untersucht werden" (Link funktioniert nicht) - Athens News
"Wiegende Mehrheit der neuen Griechen sind christlich-orthodoxen und der ethnischen Griechen" (Link funktioniert nicht) - Athens News


" Alte griechische Citizenship-Code "(in Englisch, kurze / inoffizielle Übersetzung)
" New Greek Citizenship-Code ": ΦΕΚ 49, 3838/2010 (auf Griechisch)
Court questions legality of new Greek citizenship code ” — Kathimerini
Greek citizenship up, ruling looms ” — Athens News
New Greek citizenship law has little impact ” — Kathimerini
Fake marriage ring busted in Thessaloniki ” — Kathimerini
Non-EU foreigner born in Greece is illegal in Greece but legal in other EU countries ” — To Vima
Official documentation and application given to me by the interior ministry
Interviews with Greek embassies and consulates in the United States
Personal experience; experience of readers who were generous in sharing their experience with me

Ähnliche Beiträge

Acquiring EU citizenship through ancestry or naturalization
How to get EU citizenship, driver's licenses, national IDs, visas, residence/work permits
" Wie Nicht-EU-Bürger können eine Erlaubnis zum Leben und Arbeiten in Griechenland bekommen "

http://tinyurl.com/GRnaturalization website metrics








Jakara schrieb @ 27. November 2008 um 03.42 Uhr

das ist ein langer Prozess, von den Griechen. ihr Land ist der Himmel oder was? Ich bin verheiratet mit einem griechischen mit einem Kind, und ich werde die Regierung in irgendeiner Weise, um zu erhalten, was ich zu dem Titel

Christopher schrieb @ 11. März 2009 um 15:32 Uhr

Ich habe eine spezielle Frage zum Artikel 3 der grundlegenden Kriterien für die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft. Es wird angegeben, dass Sie nicht vorbestraft oder Abschiebung haben. Durch die Ausweisung ist es bedeutete nämlich eine Abschiebung aus Griechenland, oder einer Ausweisung, unabhängig von Land?

In meinem Fall, zum Beispiel, wurde ich offiziell von ____ vor 7 Jahren deportiert. Bedeutet dies, dass, wenn ich jemals für griechische Staatsbürgerschaft beantragen wollte (habe nicht die Absicht, dies zu tun, ich frage nur für ihre s * und kichert), würde ich verweigert werden? Glauben Sie, dass die griechische Regierung tatsächlich würde eine Abschiebung auf eigene entdecken, wenn Sie nie erwähnt?

Kat Antworten:

Ich weiß nicht, das Ausmaß der russischen Aufzeichnungen, aber ich nehme Abschiebung, um Ihre Passnummer angebracht und es wird euch irgendwie zurückverfolgt werden. Ob Sie es offen oder nicht, wird Griechenland die US-Behörden zu bitten, ein Hintergrund-und strafrechtliche Überprüfung Sie laufen, und Ihr Pass zeichnet Ihre Reisegeschichte, Visa-Verstöße und Deportationen.

Also, wenn Sie die Deportation nach Anwendung oder Lüge zu verbergen, würden Sie automatisch disqualifiziert und griechische Staatsbürgerschaft verweigert werden. Und sie bekommen, um Ihre 1.500 € zu halten.

Lukas wrote @ April 13th, 2009 at 21:04

Dear Kat,

Thank you very much for such an informative site. I am a greek american living in the US. I recently submitted all of my paperwork with the Greek Embassy in Washington DC, to attain my dual citizenship with Greece. The Embassy was most helpful. My situation was a bit different. My maternal grandfather is greek, but was born in New York City. We could not trace his exact roots to his father in Greece, so I had to submit my application via my maternal grandmother, via naturalization. My mother also applied for her dual citizenship, but since I am 27, I could not tag directly onto her application. The Embassy has assured me that I will get my dual citizenship because it is very clear that I am of Greek descent. They stated that it should take about 1 year for all of the paperwork to go through and about 6 months for my mothers.

Thanks again for such a great site. It really helped me get all of my paperwork together!



Kat Antworten:

Hi Lukas. I'd been looking for someone who took an untraditional path to Greek citizenship under circumstances such as yours, and it means a lot that you would take the time and energy to share your story with us, including details about what happened and how long it will take. It's my pleasure to help someone like you, someone grateful who gives back to the website and provides insight that I and others wouldn't otherwise have. I hope you'll comment and visit again. :)

Nasar Ali schrieb @ 4. Juni 2009 um 21:36

ich kam dieses Land 1992. Ich mag dieses Land, ich entscheiden, zu bleiben ... 1998 bekam ich von Amnestie OAED (weiß / grüne Karte Systeme). von 2002 i ändern, um das Geschäft mit Genehmigung für unabhängige wirtschaftliche Aktivität. Februar 2009 bekam ich meine Daueraufenthaltsgenehmigung. und ich habe bereits meine griechische Staatsangehörigkeit .. im Warte die Antwort aus dem Ministerium vorgelegt. Ich mag zu fragen, welche Länder möglich ist, kann ich mit meiner Daueraufenthaltsgenehmigung zu arbeiten. neben ich habe 3 Kinder, die hier geboren und gehen zu griechischen Schule vom Kind Alter, ich wünsche dir bitte sagen Sie mir, was ist das für mich möglich zu arbeiten, und bleiben Sie mit meiner Familie. ich bete für Ihr langes, glückliches gesundes Leben


Kat Antworten:

Die Antworten sind schon auf dieser Webseite.

1. Wo kann man mit einer Daueraufenthaltsgenehmigung zu arbeiten? Kommt drauf an. Wenn Sie die spezielle haben EU-weite Genehmigung , können Sie überall in der EU arbeiten können. Jede andere Genehmigung ist nur für Griechenland.

2. Was ist für Ihre Familie möglich? Kommt drauf an. Wenn Sie in Griechenland zu bleiben, ist es in Ordnung. Wenn Sie ein anderes Land ziehen, müssen Sie ihre Regeln zu erforschen - es ist mir unmöglich, über alle Genehmigungen für alle Länder kennen. Wenn Sie die EU-weite Genehmigung haben, wird es leichter sein. Wenn Sie nicht über die EU-weite Genehmigung haben, dann werden Sie nichts von vorne beginnen. Wenn Sie die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft zu bekommen, Sie und Ihre Familie überall hin. Allerdings, wenn Sie verlassen, bevor sie eine Antwort für die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft zu verarbeiten, wird Ihr Antrag abgelehnt werden.

FMS schrieb @ 6. Juni 2009 um 04:11

Well. Nach meiner Lektüre des europäischen Rechts, das mit dem griechischen Daueraufenthaltsgenehmigung beantragen können, um die langfristige EU-Genehmigung haben, sondern muss ihre dummen Anforderungen über die Kenntnis der Geschichte und der Sprache von Griechenland zu erfüllen.

Die meisten EU-Länder einfach konvertiert ihre permanente Aufenthaltsgenehmigung für die EU langfristige Genehmigung, aber die Griechen hatten das Leben so schwer wie möglich, natürlich zu machen. Ist jemand überrascht?

Kat Antworten:

Ja, das ist, was ich sage; muss er für den EU-weiten Genehmigung beantragen, wenn er nicht bereits haben, weil sie noch getrennte Genehmigungen mit separatem Anforderungen und separate Bürokratie. Es geht zurück auf einen meiner ersten Artikel für diese Website geschrieben: Überlegen Sie, wie der Rest der Welt funktioniert, und das Gegenteil ist der Fall in Griechenland .

Mari schrieb @ 13. Juli 2009 um 23.29 Uhr


Ich bin 21, wurde in Zentralasien geboren, im Jahr 2006 zog ich in die USA und habe meine Asylanten-Status, aber es ist nicht eine Staatsbürgerschaft, ich planen, zu heiraten und meine Verlobte lebt in Griechenland und er hat eine griechische Staatsbürgerschaft, so dass ich 'd wie Umzug in Griechenland vor der Ehe. Würde ich in der Lage, es zu tun? Ist es möglich für mich, eine griechische Staatsbürgerschaft schließlich erhalten? Was wäre der Prozess für mich, es zu tun? Bitte Beratung. Und ich danke Ihnen sehr, dies ist die Website immer hilfreich.

Kat Antworten:

Alle Antworten sind in dem Artikel über oder in verwandten Artikel auf dieser Website.

Sie können nur hier zu bewegen, bevor die Ehe, wenn Sie:
a) ein Visum bekommen und zu heiraten, bevor es abläuft (" Wie Nicht-EU-Bürgerinnen und Bürger bewegen, leben und arbeiten in Griechenland "); ODER
b) über ausreichende finanzielle Mittel, die von außerhalb Griechenland, um eine Genehmigung zu bekommen, hier zu leben (" Wie man ein Visum zu bekommen und zu erlauben, in Griechenland leben auf der Grundlage unabhängiger Mitteln. ").

Die Antworten auf die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft sind in dem Artikel oben, was ich die Zeit zu übersetzen, recherchieren, schreiben und Update für jeden Komfort. Ich schlage vor, Sie es wieder sorgfältig zu lesen, um die Antworten zu finden, die Sie suchen, da sie nicht auf Sie zu.

george schrieb @ 29. Juli 2009 um 19:12 Uhr

meine Mutter ist aber national griechischen Bürger von Georgien. i haben alle bewiesen Dokument über diese. Übersetzung von Dokumenten in georgisch griechisch und witness.about Bürger habe ich alle Dokumente sammeln, in meinem Interesse ist, geben diese Dokumente und beeilen. Im interessant über Ihre Hilfe Verfahren. . und helfen mir, Bürger zu bekommen. vor allem interessant, wie lange im Verfahren sein werde, nachdem ich diese Dokumente übergeben. oder, wenn ich das Dokument übergeben hat bekomme ich die Unterlagen etwas, bevor ich den Bürger.? Aufklärung bitte diese Frage, wenn Sie können mir helfen. Natürlich, wenn ich in Georgien geben diese Dokumente seine gonna 3 4 Jahr zu warten sein. bitte, wenn etwas für die Hilfe zu mir.

Kat Antworten:

Sie müssen die Anweisungen oben aufgelistet ist, oder die in der anderen Artikel namens "griechische Staatsbürgerschaft durch Anspruch griechischer Herkunft", die eine Verbindung im dritten Absatz angeboten wird, ist zu folgen. Alle die Hilfe und Antworten, die ich anbieten kann sind schon da. Danke.

Stephanos schrieb @ 3. Oktober 2009 um 13:28 Uhr

lukas, ich habe die gleiche Geschichte wie Sie. meine Großeltern wurden in Griechenland geboren. meine Mutter ist 100% griechisch, aber sie und meine Großeltern wurden in den USA geboren, ich habe keine Papier von meinem Großvater mütterlicherseits, weil sie im Krieg verloren. aber ich habe Papiere von Ehe-Lizenz meinem mütterlichen Großmütter Eltern, und den Aufenthalt in Griechenland. um für mich zu starten .. würde meine Mutter und Großmutter haben für Dual-als auch anzuwenden? ich glaube nicht, dass sie wollen ..

Kat Antworten:

Sie können den Prozess auf eigene Faust beginnen und sehen, wohin es führt, da man einige der notwendigen Dokumente. Wenn sie dies nicht ausreichend finden, werden sie Ihnen sagen, was Sie tun können, mehr, da Sie deutlich griechischen Ursprungs sind.

malcolm schrieb @ 23. Oktober 2009 um 17:45 Uhr

Hallo, ich war auf einer griechischen Frau für 5 Jahre verheiratet, bevor wir geschieden, und ich habe zwei Kinder mit ihr, und ich habe in Griechenland lebt seit 13 Jahre jetzt. meine Frage ist, was sind meine Gruppe für griechische Staatsbürgerschaft beantragen? Ich habe eine Aufenthaltsgenehmigung, die alle 5 J. erneuert, bitte erklären Sie in der Gruppe i gehören cos Sie wissen, dass die griechische Regierung nicht sagen, was rechts ist, müssen Sie für es selbst zu sehen haben, so dass Ihre Hilfe und beraten wird in hohem Grade beachtete, danke.

Kat Antworten:

Es ist nicht zu welcher Gruppe Sie gehören, in Ihrem Fall nichts, sind die Anforderungen die gleichen. Die Anforderungen für die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft sind weitaus mehr, als verheiratet oder leben hier seit 12 Jahren, einschließlich Zertifikate von IDEKE, dass Sie nahm ihren Klassen und wissen, fließend Griechisch und Griechisch Geschichte / Kultur beweisen. Bitte benutzen Sie den Artikel oben und schauen Sie sich den Abschnitt "Zusätzliche Anforderungen und Verfahren." Alles ist schon erklärt. Viel Glück.

layla schrieb @ 6. November 2009 um 20:53 Uhr

hallo, ich habe geheiratet einen griechischen Mann und wir ein Kind haben. ich habe griechischen citizenship.how angewandt lange dauern wird, bis die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft zu bekommen? und ich kann nicht sprechen griechisch fluently.this ist die Sache zu griechischen Staatsbürgerschaft zu bekommen? Dank

Kat Antworten:

Alle Antworten auf Ihre Fragen sind bereits in dem Artikel oben. Bitte nehmen Sie sich einen anderen Blick. Danke.

reza schrieb @ 23. Dezember 2009 um 19:50 Uhr

Ich bin das Leben in Griechenland fast 9 years.I hast den Aufenthaltsgenehmigung von 5 Jahre, die werden renewed.Ive bekam einen Reisedokument well.I wollen wissen, ob Leute wie mich für griechische Staatsbürgerschaft oder nicht gelten? auch gibt es keine Hoffnung für solche mit Rose-Karte von 6 Monaten zulassen, um als politische Flüchtlinge anerkannt zu werden? Sas euxaristo para poli gia tis xrisimes plirofories.Na exete Kohl giortes.

Kat Antworten:

Ich habe das Gefühl, Sie nicht den Artikel zu lesen, weil alle Ihre Fragen rund um Staatsbürgerschaft haben bereits beantwortet. Es braucht viel mehr als hier zu leben und eine Genehmigung, um die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft zu bekommen. Bitte lesen Sie die Liste.

Bezüglich der rosa Karte, ich weiß nichts über sie, so dass Sie bei der Gemeinde-Büro sollte erkundigen. Bei der politischen Flüchtlinge, übernimmt Griechenland nach einem langen Prozess sehr, sehr wenige und die Chancen sind extrem gering.

Follow-up von FMS: Die rosa Karte ist für Menschen, die um politisches Asyl gegeben, aber es nicht um politisches Asyl zu gewähren. Es ermöglicht im Wesentlichen Halter zu arbeiten und wohnen in Griechenland für nur 6 Monate. Andere EU-Länder geben Geld, Unterkunft und Verpflegung für Asylbewerber: Griechenland gibt nichts. Es gibt keine Hoffnung, Staatsbürgerschaft von einem rosa Karte.

mary wrote @ March 19th, 2010 at 23:44

i'm a Greek citizen married to an American (non-Greek) man and we have been living in Greece since 2003. My husband has a residency permit, now valid for 10 years. We had a baby, born in Greece, 3 years ago. How easy is it for my husband to gain Greek citizenship and once he does, is he entitled to a Greek/EU passport?
What is the best official/government website for all the steps necessary for this whole process?

Kat Antworten:

1) How easy is it for your husband to get Greek citizenship? Depends, did he already meet all the requirements listed above? It takes a lot more than marriage, a permit and a baby. Read the article again ('Documents, Fee and Fingerprints required') to see what I mean.

2) Is he entitled to a Greek passport? This question is already answered in the article above also.

3) What's the best official/gov't website? In English, there isn't one containing the info you seek; that's why I wrote this article. In Greek, I assume you know that as a Greek citizen yourself. All the steps necessary, including the documents and whole process, are listed above for you already. All you need to do is follow them.

Viel Glück.

Lukas wrote @ May 3rd, 2010 at 07:44

Hi Kat,

I wanted to give you an update on my status. It's been about a year since I applied for my citizenship with Greece via my grandmother. I have been in contact with the Embassy in Washington, DC who continue to be most helpful. My mother's paperwork is moving through (as expected) but mine has not gone too far as yet. They indicated that since I am a male and going through my grandmother, it will take more time than usual. You warned me (via your site) that it may take a couple years. I am not in any rush, so it really does not bother me!

Again, you've got a wonderful website, I frequent it ever few months to see what is going on and to see if the conscription will be changing soon!



Kat Antworten:

Hi Lukas, thanks so much for checking in and letting me know how things are progressing. I expect that your paperwork will be easier to process once your mother's citizenship is granted.

Regarding conscription, I think the Greek government has its hands full at the moment with the economy and other reform. But we'll see how that impacts military service and the article will be updated accordingly.

I sure appreciate you stopping in and your kind words. See you again.

Meral wrote @ May 22nd, 2010 at 17:14

Hi Kat,

Thank you for a very informative site! I am at the very beginning of my citizenship process, and this is the best information I've found so far. I'll go to the Greek consulate in Istanbul soon to get more information, but wanted to get your opinion on my case, if you feel like it: my great-grandfather was an ethnic Greek who lived his whole life in Bulgaria. His daughter immigrated to Turkey and married a Turk, and my father was born in Turkey. My father will be applying for citizenship (and I, his daughter, with him, although I am over 18, so I am not sure if this entails anything different).

I'm guessing we both need to do this via naturalization since my great-grandfather never lived in Greece, right? My father, of course, stands a better chance of getting everything processed because it's his grandfather… My case will likely linger, but… who knows!

Anyway, if you have any opinions, words of advice, etc, I'd be happy to hear them. Otherwise, please know your site is a gem!


Kat Antworten:

Hi Meral,

You are doing the right thing in going to the Greek Consulate in Istanbul because this is a special case I've never encountered first hand. I know they grant Greek citizenship to ethnic Greeks who were forced to live outside the country's borders, but I don't know the requirements or under what circumstances it is granted.

Because it would be through a great-grandfather, I do believe it's best if your father applies and is processed first. In cases where a great-grandfather was born in Greece and lived in Greece his whole life, I don't know anyone who successfully acquired Greek citizenship this way, though I know a few who tried. If you happen to remember me and this site after the process is finished, please let me know what happened. I find it interesting.

Thank you so much for your kind words and making a comment. :)

Lukas schrieb @ 3. Juni 2010 um 06:54

Hallo Kat,

Ich hoffe, Sie sind gut und hoffentlich Dinge Ansiedlung in Griechenland.

Ich wollte deine Meinung, wie Sie sich vielleicht erinnern, ich gepostet auf Ihrer Website HOWI eingereicht alle meine Papiere, meine doppelte Staatsbürgerschaft vor über einem Jahr (über meine Großmutter) zu bekommen. Ich habe versucht, meine Korrespondent an der griechischen Botschaft in DC für einige Zeit ohne Erfolg zu kontaktieren.

Ich weiß, dass ich gerade nennen konnte bis auf die Botschaft und sprechen mit jemandem, aber ich bin nicht sicher, ob es weitere interne Dinge, die in Griechenland und ich lass es einfach für ein paar Monate.

Was sind Ihre Gedanken? Ich weiß, dass Griechenland ist Griechenland und die Dinge nehmen immer .... also ich kann warten, ich bin nur eine typische, ungeduldig griechischen amerikanischen =)

Vielen Dank!


Kat Antworten:

Hallo Lukas,

Danke, dass du an mich gedacht hast, indem Sie erneut besuchen, zu fragen, wie ich bin, und gibt mir ein Update. Alle drei sind nachdenklich auf unterschiedliche Weise. Wiederholen Besucher, die höflich sind, fragen Sie gute Fragen und zurück auf die Website zu geben indem Geschichten / Infos einen besonderen Platz in meiner Erinnerung.

Ich glaube nicht, dass Sie ungeduldig sind überhaupt. Eine Phrase, du wirst eine Menge zu hören ist: "Diese Dinge brauchen Zeit." Another Ich mag zu verwenden ist, "Ergebnisse können variieren." Ah, die geheimnisvollen Wirken der griechischen Bürokratie. ;)

Gehen zu Ihrem nächsten Kommentar ...

Lukas wrote @ June 4th, 2010 at 00:04

Hi Kat-

I wrote you yesterday about the status of my Dual Citizenship. Ironically, I finally got a response from the Greek Embassy. They indicated to me that there are significant delays in Greece for citizenship (male only). She also indicated that there are 5 open cases from 2008.

Anyway, this goes to show that all of your information you've listed about Dual Citizenship is accurate including the delays!

Just wanted to give you an update.



Kat Antworten:

Hi again Lukas, fancy meeting you here.

Hmm, well I'm glad you got a status update. Some communication is better than nothing. There have been significant delays over here too. It took us three months and an appointment to get one paper from the eforia (Greek tax office), and the Kathimerini reported about 600K residence permits are backlogged. Some blame the changeover in government in October; some blame staff shortages. Whatever it is, I'd like to see the system work more efficiently for all of us.

I'll be waiting to hear when your Greek citizenship is finally granted, so I have an idea how long it took. Hang in there!

Alle besten,


louise schrieb @ 25. Juni 2010 um 15:47 Uhr

Vielen Dank für die Informationen, Ihre Website macht mich wirklich das Gefühl, dass ich nicht allein bin. Es ist eine Schande, ich habe nicht diese Art von Informationen erhalten, im Jahr 1991.

Verheiratet mit einem Griechen in den Jahren 1987 und noch bis zum heutigen Tag verheiratet, habe ich in Griechenland lebt seit 1991 nach dem Umzug hier aus Australien auf einem englischen Reisepass wegen meines Vater war Englisch. Meine zwei Söhne wurden auch in Australien geboren, aber als ihr Vater ist Grieche wurde sie automatisch griechischen Bürger. Me, aber ich bin immer noch zu kämpfen.

Als ich hierher kam, wurde mir gesagt, dass, weil ich nicht arbeiten brauchte ich nicht eine Green Card oder eine Aufenthaltsgenehmigung, weil ich zu einer griechischen verheiratet, nur um zu entdecken, dass falsch war. Wenn ich wollte, um ein Auto in meinem Namen kaufen es war dann entdeckte ich, alle früheren Jahren war ich falsche Angaben gemacht. Im Jahr 2006 entdeckte ich das folgende Jahr, dass meine Rechte als Ausländer waren nicht viele. Auch wenn es um die Anwendung meines Sohnes für eine ID-Karte an der örtlichen Polizeistation Unterzeichnung kam, wurde ich höflich gesagt, dass ich nicht da ich nicht Griechisch; ist seine Mutter hatte keine Auswirkungen auf die Angelegenheit. Generell fühlte ich mich entfremdet nicht vom Volk, sondern durch das System.

Also dachte ich, dass da wir haben uns entschieden, in diesem Land leben sollte ich eingebürgert zu werden. Ich meinen ersten Antrag im Jahr 2007, nur gesagt, dass ich nicht die für Griechenland nötig 3-Jahres-Daueraufenthaltszeit nicht. Gesetzlich Ich nehme an, sie hatten Recht als mein Adeia paramonis 2006 begonnen, auch wenn ich mit meinem Mann und den Kindern hier im Jahr 1991 kam. Wartete ich noch ein Jahr, erneut zu kandidieren nur gesagt, jetzt gibt es ein Problem so weit wie mein Name ist besorgt. Es ist ein Alptraum.

Ich habe noch nicht aufgegeben. Werde ich bekommen, was ich denke, ist mein Recht nach so vielen Jahren hier leben und mit in die Armee schickte meine zwei Söhne nach Griechenland zu dienen. Ich fühle, dass es nicht zu rechtfertigen, dass meine Bewerbung an griechischen geworden ist aufgrund von Fehlern durch die lokalen Abteilungen selbst gemacht verweigert.

Doch nach der Lektüre Ihrer Website und andere ähnliche Geschichten zu hören, ich merke, meine Geschichte ist nicht etwas Neues.

Herzliche Grüße

Kat Antworten:

Hallo Louise, ich danke Ihnen für die Zeit, um Ihre Erfahrung mit Aufenthaltsgenehmigungen zu teilen, bekommen eine griechische ID für Ihren Sohn und die Anwendung für die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft durch Einbürgerung.

Wie eine australische / UK-Bürger, sind Sie berechtigt, in Griechenland, weil der Vater zu leben, aber mit einem griechischen verheiratet befreit Sie nicht von der nach dem Gesetz über die Aufenthaltstitel oder andere Bürokratie. Ich habe gehört, die Leute sagen Dinge wie: "keine Sorge", wenn sie sollten sagen: "Ich weiß nicht" bei der Abgabe von Beratung, und die Dinge schnell ändern ohne viel Kommunikation und Transparenz. Es ist heute besser als vor 12 Jahren, aber es gibt noch eine Menge von Fehlinformationen.

Nach Erhalt Ihrer Kommentar, ging ich zu meinem Artikel über immer eine griechische ID überprüft und die Anforderungen, ging dann zu dem Ministerium für Bürgerschutz und wieder lesen und die Kreis FEKs in Griechisch. Ich einen vertrauenswürdigen Freund fragte auch, um meine Ergebnisse zu bestätigen. Es gibt nichts in dem Gesetz, das sagt, die Eltern, Erziehungsberechtigten oder beglaubigte Zeugnis muss griechischen sein bei der Anmeldung für einen Kinder griechischen ID, so gibt es drei mögliche Erklärungen: a) sie Ihnen auf der Grundlage einer Genehmigung nicht mit, da müssen Sie weigerten legal, etwas zu tun rechtlichen, b) der Polizist war uninformiert oder nicht hilfsbereit, oder c) Sprachbarriere.

Ich weiß nicht, warum Ihr Name hält sich die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft. Aber wenn es mit verschiedenen Schreibweisen Ihres Namens zu tun hat, habe ich das gleiche Problem, dass es mindestens vier Interpretationen, wie mein Nachname ist in verschiedenen öffentlichen Sektor Büros buchstabiert werden, und es ist jetzt meine Aufgabe, sie alle aber fix ich erklärte meine Einwände, bevor sie auf Rekord ging. In Fällen, die ich kenne, ist dies eher geschehen, zu einer nicht-griechischen und / oder eine Frau, als ein griechischer und / oder ein Mann.

Bitte geben Sie nicht auf und wissen, dass Sie nicht allein sind. Diese Website wurde erstellt, um eine andere Stimme und praktische Ressource sein, also kommen Sie jederzeit wieder zu lesen, ein wenig Hilfe bekommen, oder teilen Sie Ihre Geschichten. Alle meine besten zu Ihnen.

Nader schrieb @ 3. Juli 2010 um 22:29 Uhr

Ich bin aus dem Iran, lebt in Athen und von 2000 i zahlen IKA und die Arbeit in all den Jahren, heiratete ich eine philippinische, die seit 1992 in Griechenland bleibt und arbeitet und zahlt IKA als gut. Jetzt haben wir beide 2 Jahre Wohnsitz / Arbeitsbewilligungen. fragten wir oft, was wir tun müssen, um griechische Staatsbürgerschaft haben müssen, und sie immer wieder sagen uns 'perimene' (warten). bis wann müssen wir warten? was wir tun müssen? das Gesetz gesagt, wir können es schaffen und anzuwenden, aber niemand sehen Teakholz, das Gesetz zu helfen? wo wir brauchen, um zu gehen und um Hilfe bitten? wirklich, wir sind müde. bitte helfen Sie uns

Kat Antworten:

Die Anforderungen für die Beantragung der griechische Staatsbürgerschaft sind alle oben beschrieben. Es braucht viel mehr als IKA-und Aufenthaltserlaubnis.

Ich habe Sie bereits, indem ich Ihnen das Recht, die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft Prozess und wo gelten geholfen. Alles was Sie tun müssen ist, folgen Sie den Anweisungen.

Jason schrieb @ 4. September 2010 um 05.08 Uhr

Liebe diesen Blog. Es ist so schwer, aufzustehen, um Informationen und alle bislang zu oft so frustrierend.
Im November 2009 angewendet meine Mutter für griechische Staatsbürgerschaft durch das Konsulat Sydney über meine griechischen Großvater. Wir wollten meine Anwendung zur gleichen Zeit einzureichen, um Verzögerungen zu vermeiden, sondern wurden angewiesen, meine Mutter muss ihre Staatsangehörigkeit vor der Einreichung meiner Anwendung haben. Wir haben alle relevanten Informationen (Nachweis meiner Großväter Geburt in Griechenland usw.) zur Verfügung gestellt und anschließend ein paar Mal gehört, aber nichts über ihre Bewerbung.
- Ist das richtig, dass man warten muss, bis mein Antrag stellen?
- Angesichts sie ist weiblich, was die typischen Zeitrahmen für ihre Bewerbung sein?
- Angesichts Ich bin Mann wird der Prozess nicht nur wieder von vorn beginnen, wenn sie ihre Staatsbürgerschaft bekommt?
Es tut uns leid für alle Fragen.

Kat Antworten:

Hallo Jason,

- Abhängig von der Fall. Wenn Sie sich bei Lukas 'über Sie aussehen, wurde er aufgefordert, zur gleichen Zeit, als seine Mutter gelten, aber Sie werden in seinen Updates zu sehen, dass die Anwendung seiner Mutter voran, während sein wird viel langsamer. Sie folgen müssen, was Beratung wird Ihnen durch das Konsulat gegeben.
- Wie lange es dauert, bis die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft gewährt werden, nicht unbedingt mit deiner Mutter Frausein zu tun. Es hängt von ihrer Anspruchsberechtigung, sofern sie die Dokumente, die ist der Umgang mit ihrem Fall, wie viele Anwendungen warten, bevor sie verarbeitet werden - kurz gesagt, viele Faktoren.
- Von der Verfolgung früheren Fällen, ist es einfacher für die nächste Generation (Sie), einen Anspruch auf die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft durch Abstammung zu verarbeiten, wenn die vorherige Generation (Ihre Mutter) bereits getan hat.

Bitte beachten Sie, dass bis zu zwei Jahren Warte ist nicht ungewöhnlich. Beachten Sie auch, dass die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft-Code nur vor ein paar Monaten geändert werden, so dass Mitarbeiter überlastet, vor allem da sie bereits von kurz der Mitarbeiter beschwert.

Wenn Sie in Griechenland Vollzeit lebten, würden Sie erkennen, dass wartet seit November 2009 ist keine lange Zeit. Seien Sie geduldig und lassen Sie uns wissen, was passiert. Alle besten.

Lori schrieb @ 23. September 2010 um 09:38

Liebe Kat:

Hervorragende Seite und als ich durch lesen, schüttelte ich den Kopf in Übereinkunft, lächelte die Wahrheiten, die Sie erzählen, und wälzte sich wieder einmal in meiner Ängste über die Jahre der Arbeit, die ich in ohne angemessene Entschädigung, Versicherung oder Respekt, und der Arbeitsmentalität setzen Griechenland.

Der Grund, warum ich schreibe, jedoch nicht über die Beschäftigung, sondern um Bürger Anforderungen. Ich habe seit ca. 7 Jahren ein Bewohner mit Arbeitserlaubnis und ich diese Genehmigung erhalten, da bin ich verheiratet mit einem griechischen Bürger für 12 Jahre.

Die Kommune, die mich mit meiner Aufenthaltsgenehmigung erneuern alle 5 Jahre unterstützt, sagte mir nicht zu für griechische Staatsbürgerschaft zu beantragen, weil es würde 1500 € kosten und sie in der Regel leugnen es das erste Mal, um die Gebühr zweimal zu sammeln. Das scheint absolut lächerlich, denn ich bin verheiratet und habe 2 Kinder, aber wenn Beratung kann möglicherweise sparen mich 3000 €, die ich nicht haben ... Ich muss es beherzigen.

Kürzlich wurde mir gesagt, dass die zwischen den USA und Griechenland "Türen geöffnet". Dass mein Mann in die USA mit mir zu reisen, ohne ein Visum, und das kann ich einfach die Staatsbürgerschaft beantragen und erhalten sie ohne irgendwelche saftige Gebühren zahlen.

Wissen Sie etwas darüber? Können Sie sich in die richtige Richtung zu mir? Jede Beratung wird Ihnen sehr dankbar.

Ich werde von nun an folgenden werden und Sie in meine Favoriten haben einen festen Standort.

Kat Antworten:

Es ist spät, ich bin müde, und es gibt eine Menge von Kommentaren habe ich noch nicht so antwortete ich kurz.

So heißt es am Anfang dieses Artikels, trat ein neues Gesetz in Bezug auf die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft und Genehmigungen in Kraft vor ein paar Monaten, aber es ist 52 Seiten lang, mehr als 20.000 Worte, und ich bin in der Mitte der übersetzt es mit einem Anwalt. Der Artikel wird aktualisiert, wenn die Übersetzung durchgeführt.

Bezieht sich auf, was Sie gesagt. So heißt es in dem Artikel, die Anwendung das erste Mal, kostet 1.500 €, der zweite und mal in Folge ist die Hälfte aus, was bedeutet, 750. Nach dem neuen Gesetz ist die Gebühr 700 € für die erste Anwendung aber bedenken Sie, es gibt eine Menge von Anforderungen abgesehen von der Gebühr. Bitte werfen Sie einen Blick auf die Liste; Das neue Gesetz ändert das Einbürgerungsverfahren sehr wenig.

Voraussetzung für die Wahrnehmung der Rat an Sie von Beschäftigten im öffentlichen Dienst entfallen ist eine persönliche Entscheidung, aber es kann Ihnen Möglichkeiten kosten. Beachten Sie, dass nicht jeder ist des Gesetzes informiert und Gerüchte und Fehlinformationen bestehen.

Ihre griechischen Ehemann in die USA im Rahmen des Visa-Waiver Programm reisen, wenn er qualifiziert. Siehe " Griechenland in die USA kein Visum . "

Als Nicht-EU-Bürger einer griechischen Ursprungs, kann man nicht für die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft überall auf diesem Planeten, ohne Zahlung einer Gebühr beantragen.

Danke, dass Sie mich nach und Begünstigung. Alle besten.

john schrieb @ 26. Oktober 2010 um 21:01 Uhr

hallo, bin sehr dankbar für yr Artikel und es hat mir sehr geholfen, ich lese die Artikel und ich fand heraus, was ich wirklich brauchen, um zu bekommen.

aber die Frage ist, in meinem Fall, ich war in Griechenland seit sechs Jahren mit {perimenete} das ist der Zwischengenehmigung, bevor ich ein Problem hatte, ich war innen für die 2 Jahre später wurde ich aus, nicht wirklich verurteilt, sondern in die Einwanderung Einheit, sie haben mich für die Deportation vor versucht, aber die Fluggesellschaft weigern, mich zu nehmen, weil sie nicht liefern konnten Wert reisen Dokument.

Später habe ich entlassen wurde, bekam ich meine Zwischengenehmigung zurück, danach i meine Frau, die griechisch ist erfüllt. wir in Griechenland geheiratet und ich meine 5 Jahre Aufenthaltsgenehmigung bekam. Etwa ein Jahr, nachdem wir im Ausland bewegt, wir haben im Ausland jetzt seit fast 7 Jahren, die wir verheiratet h für jetzt fast 8 Jahren, wir haben zwei Kinder, sie sind 7 und 6 Jahre sind, auch wenn sie im Ausland geboren sind, aber sie bedeutet Dual bekommen haben Nationalität, griechische und meine Nationalität ... bin aus Afrika.

obwohl Uhr fällig british Staatsangehörigkeit, sondern aus Gründen der meine Frau und die Kinder und für die Zukunft, denn ich weiß nicht, wo wir vielleicht in Zukunft vielleicht griechenland am Ende, denke an gettin griechischen Nationalität, aber mit meiner Vergangenheit Rekord und ich haben Verlassen im Ausland für die letzten 7 Jahre, obwohl ich immer nach Griechenland mit meiner Familie für Urlaub und gelegentlich lange Verfahren kommen, ich weiß nicht einmal, ob ich wirklich qualifiziert und auch wenn es werde verschwenden Mühe und Geld, wissen Sie, warum! einmal vor ca. 2 Jahren, als meine Frau war in Griechenland und ging zur Anfrage über meine Nationalität in der griechischen lokalen Regierung in Griechenland machen sie ihr erzählt, die dann nicht qualifiziert bin, weil ich im Ausland leben und sogar die Aufenthaltsgenehmigung, die ich in Griechenland ist abgelaufen.

Der Rat, den ich jetzt brauchen, ist am i bewerben oder sollte ich nur mein Gesicht Bürgerschaft hier in uk und vergessen Sie die griechische Staatsangehörigkeit, denn hier ist einfach und klar. Dank

Kat Antworten:

Die Frau, Ihren griechischen enthaltenen Informationen korrekt war, und die Informationen in meinem Artikel, ist klar. Wenn Sie es lesen, dann sollten Sie wissen, dass Sie nicht für die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft.
- Sie müssen eine vollständige, gültige Aufenthaltserlaubnis / Arbeitserlaubnis und leben in Griechenland für 3 Jahre unmittelbar vor der Einreichung des Antrags.
- Sie müssen über die griechische Sprache Zertifizierung.
- Sie müssen das Interview weiterzugeben.

Abgesehen von nicht ist wählbar und mit einer letzten Frage der Einwanderung ist ein Grund für die Ablehnung. Und wenn man in Betracht kamen und bekam die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft, müssten Sie zu den griechischen Militärdienst dienen, wenn Sie unter dem Alter von 45 werden.

Es macht mehr Sinn, UK Staatsbürgerschaft, die berechtigen würden Sie / Arbeit in Griechenland und anderen EU-Land ohne Armee, hohe Gebühren oder kommen wieder hier zu leben.

Carole wrote @ November 1st, 2010 at 09:18

We have a 21 year old friend of Albanian descent who has lived in Greece since the age of 2. His mother married a greek national. He has all his school papers to prove he has been educated in Greece. He has no birth certificate or other proof of nationality. He would like to obtain greek citizenship and to do his national service. What is the best way for him to go about this.

Venessa wrote @ November 18th, 2010 at 20:14

Comment 1:
Hi Kat…I wonder if you are able to clarify something for me. I am here in Greece with a 5-year residence permit. I am married to a Greek citizen and am not an EU passport holder. My father passed away, and I left Greece for almost 3 months while I attended to family issues back home.

What I basically want to know is, is there any time limit that one is allowed out the country for during these 5 years? I read in the article in order to apply for citizenship it should not be for more than 10 continuous months, but when it comes time to renew my permit, will the length of time that I am out of Greece affect the process of renewing? I am leaving again to go back home for a month and I am worried that these trips back and forth may affect my permit.


Comment 2:
Thank you very much, Kat. And thank you for this wonderful website which has helped me out (even though I am not an American Citizen). It's very hard to get answers here in Greece and your webpage is such a breath of fresh air for those of us that need the guidance!!! Danke :)

Kat Antworten:

Antwort 1:
This is an excellent question that challenged and helped me learn something new. Danke.

From the laws I researched and read about residence permits for non-EU spouses/family members of Greek/EU citizens, the primary requirement for renewal is proving you still have a valid relationship to the Greek citizen, proof of financial means to support yourself through a job or spousal support if unemployed, and proof that you are legally residing in Greece with the Greek/EU citizen at the same address.

In cases of military service, vocational training/transfer or personal serious illness and extenuating circumstances that require you to be transferred outside Greece for treatment (aka, Greece does not have facilities to treat you), authorities say that a non-EU family member of a Greek/EU citizen should not be absent for up to 12 consecutive months.

It says nothing about __ months in five (5) years, but it does say that you should not be temporarily absent more than six (6) months in any 12-month period. Six (6) months or 185 days is usually the point in many countries, not just Greece, at which someone is determined to be a resident or not.

So keep the six (6) months in mind, don't worry and take care.

Wishing you all the best.

Antwort 2:
Livingingreece.gr is for everyone, not just US citizens. Everything that applies to Americans applies to all non-EU citizens in Greece, and half of my readers are EU and Greek citizens who ask me for advice and get useful information from the articles available.

Helping people like you is very easy. Thank you for trusting me, and have a safe trip.

Xavi schrieb @ 26. November 2010 um 23:48

Liebe Kat,

Ich habe kürzlich entdeckt Ihre sehr informative Website und wollte für Ihre fundierte Meinung zu fragen, wie ich verstehe es eine umfassende Reform Staatsbürgerschaft März 2010 im griechischen Parlament verabschiedet. Ich habe eine Übersetzung des neuen Code of griechische Staatsbürgerschaft, aber noch nicht vollständig verarbeitet all seinen Auswirkungen.

Meine Frau wurde in Albanien geboren und dann in Griechenland gelebt rechtlich aus der Zeit, sie zog mit ihrer Familie im Jahr 1991, als sie 11 Jahre alt war. Sie absolvierte 1 Jahr Grundschule (6. Klasse), dann habe 3 Jahre am Gymnasium und 3 Jahre bei Lyceum (High School), und an einer privaten Universität in Athen für 3 Jahre. Sie ist nun daran interessiert, ihre griechischen Reisepass und auf die Überprüfung der griechischen Citizenship-Code, scheint es, dass sie für die Bürgerschaft über beide Arten anwenden; als Person der griechischen Ursprungs (durch ihre Großmutter) und / oder als langjähriger Bewohner von Griechenland.

Sie hat gerade ihr Studium abgeschlossen hier in den USA, und sie ist derzeit ein US-Reisepass und eingebürgerten Bürger der USA (durch Heirat).

Sie trifft die Kriterien 1 und 2 für die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft, aber drei Kriterien, wie Sie aufgeführt haben, stellt eine gewisse Unsicherheit. Sie hat sieben (7) Jahren rechtmäßigen Aufenthalts in Griechenland, sondern ließ sie langfristige Aufenthalts / Genehmigung Karte Zeitraffer, seit sie in den USA studiert und wurde ein US-Bürger. Seit sie in Abwesenheit von Griechenland für 10 Monate kontinuierlich in den letzten fünf Jahren, habe ich mich gefragt, ob es irgendwelche besonderen Fällen Ausnahmen oder Sie sich bewusst für Personen, die Schule besucht und in Griechenland aufgewachsen sind.

Wir denken, dass es vielleicht einfacher für sie, um die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft nach Anzahl der Jahre des Wohnsitzes zu verfolgen, da alle von ihrer Schule Papiere sind leicht abrufbar, sondern fragte sich, ob Sie denken, dass die letzten beiden Teile der oben beschriebenen Kriterien 3 negieren diese Option .

Was würden Sie vorschlagen, ist der beste Weg für sie, für die Staatsbürgerschaft und einem griechischen Reisepass beantragen? Beziehen Ehe / Geburtsurkunde ihrer Großmutter kann sich als schwierig, da müssten wir reisen und wahrscheinlich haben sie übersetzt, aber es ist ein gangbarer Weg.

Alle Erkenntnisse / Anregungen haben Sie vielleicht würde sehr geschätzt werden.

Vielen Dank für die Aufrechterhaltung einer solchen hilfreiche Ressource auf den Prozess!

Kat Antworten:

Die beiden Übersetzungen Ich habe von der neuen griechischen Citizenship-Code gesehen enthalten Fehler und unvollständig sind, wie sie sind, 18 Seiten, während der eigentliche Code ist 52 Seiten, und einer wurde durch ein Jurastudent nicht in Griechenland und den anderen leben von einem Übersetzer getan nicht mit Recht. Das ist, warum ich meine eigene in Zusammenarbeit mit einer griechisch-amerikanischen Anwalt.

Ihre Frau kann nicht für die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft durch Einbürgerung über Wohnsitz in Griechenland gelten. Warum?:
1. Denn unter Nr. 3 der Vergabegrundlage, heißt es, die sieben (7) Jahre Wohnsitz muss in Folge vor dem Tag der Anwendung sein. Sein als sie wurde ein US-Bürger durch die Ehe, und ich weiß, wie lange das dauert, wird sie disqualifiziert. Schlagen Sie ein.
2. Es gibt keine besondere Ausnahme um die 10 Monate Abwesenheit in den letzten (5) Jahren zu bekommen, es sei denn, es ist ein Fall von Militärdienst, eine Zeit des Krieges oder lebensbedrohliche Krankheit, die Behandlung außerhalb Griechenlands gefordert war. Streik zwei.
3. Unter Dokumente für griechische Staatsbürgerschaft zu beantragen, heißt es, muss der Antragsteller eine aktuelle Aufenthaltsgenehmigung haben. Ihre Frau nicht ein. Schlagen Sie drei.

Es gibt eine Option, um für die griechische Staatsbürgerschaft über die Schule in Griechenland gelten, aber Ihre Frau nicht die Kriterien erfüllen. Der einzige Weg, Ihre Frau könnte für griechische Staatsbürgerschaft ist durch die Großmutter. Ich sehe keine andere Möglichkeit. Es gibt keinen Grund zu reisen, um die Geburtsurkunde ihrer Großmutter bekommen oder haben es übersetzt. Verwenden Sie " griechische Staatsbürgerschaft nach Herkunft, Abstammung oder Herkunft ", als Leitfaden für die Beschaffung von Dokumentation. Viel Glück.

Maria wrote @ January 13th, 2011 at 10:10

Finally, a website that is in “plain english” if you know what I mean. Vielen Dank dafür.

I am a US citizen married to a Greek. We have an 11-year-old daughter who was born in the US. We have been here since 2001 and obtained my resident permit in 2004 which expired in 2008. Unfortunately, I forgot to renew it in time and it had expired for 1 1/2 years before I even noticed. After waiting 6 months from applying for renewal, I was called in for a hearing before a committee. Went through complete hell but in the end my application was accepted. I received my new permanent residence card but the date of issue is 2010. I have not been out of the country since 2004 which is proven by my US passport.

Thinking of applying for greek citizenship but don't know if this 1 1/2 year lapse on my cards will be taken into consideration. Wanted to find out before laying out money and wasting my time. What exactly proves how long someone is living here?

Kat Antworten:

Hi there, I do what you mean and thank YOU for acknowledging and appreciating what I have on offer.

I reviewed the law as written and made an inquiry at the citizenship office to get a second opinion before answering your question, and I'll tell you both what I know and what I was told. The law says you need to be here three consecutive years prior to applying for Greek citizenship via naturalization.
– Under normal circumstances, your current permit to prove three (3) years legal residency in Greece would be sufficient because there would be no lapse and easily verified in their computer records. Your passport is not necessarily proof of continuous presence in Greece because electronic records and stamps, or lack thereof, can be inaccurate.
– Because there was a lapse in your case, there is a gray area. If they go strictly by what can be proven via residence permits, you need to wait until a full three consecutive years has passed before applying. If you explain the situation and have fulfilled every other requirement, it is POSSIBLE (not guaranteed) they may allow you to prove it another way, such as submitting work contracts or ensima you earned during this period. Being on your spouse's insurance and tax statements and are not proof you were physically living in Greece.

As I'm sure you know, it will be highly dependent on who waits on you, if a superior is consulted and if the Greek citizenship committee that reviews your application finds it acceptable. It can be approved or denied at any stage of the process.

Therefore, I advise you to consult with the dimarxeio and/or citizenship office before paying the fee and see what they say (see 'Contact Information' above). I would ask at least two different people because answers could be different.

I hope you'll come back and let me know what happened. I'd like to know how things worked out for you, or if there's something more I can do to help. Alle besten.

zac wrote @ January 14th, 2011 at 06:40

I'm a non-EU citizen married with Greek women one year and as couple we are living three years together in Ireland. I've never been in Greece before in my life, but I'm wondering if I can I apply for Greek citizenship and passport without living in Greece, where in Ireland we have all our documents and tax clearance certificate etc. with us.

Kat Antworten:

I get the feeling you didn't read the article.

You do not qualify. In fact, you don't even meet the three basic criteria. Greek citizenship after marriage to a Greek citizen takes much more than getting married. Please read the article to find out why.

Mirjana wrote @ March 7th, 2011 at 21:29

Hallo. I applied for Greek citizenship a year and a half ago. No reply whatsoever. I tried Nomarhia – they gave me the phone at the Ministry of Interior…Nobody answers…Ever! Who can help me find out what's going on with my application?
Appreciate your support.

Kat Antworten:

There are three reasons for the long wait:
a) It can take several years for your application to be reviewed under the old law (which is when you submitted your application), as I say in “How long does the Greek citizenship process take?”
b) In February 2011, a representative said there are 180,000 citizenship applications being reviewed, most of which are from those of Greek ancestry/descent.
c) The supreme court ruled the latest Greek Citizenship Code “unconstitutional” in February, so many pending applications are on hold until a final decision is made on how to go forward. I explain this in the section called, “Challenge to New Greek Citizenship Code 3838/2010.”

The nomarxeia won't help you because they have nothing to do with processing Greek citizenship applications. There are three phone numbers listed above for the citizenship office at the interior ministry, which is where you need to inquire.

If you remember me, please come back and tell me what happened. Vielen Dank für Ihre Frage.

Alle besten.

Erika wrote @ March 17th, 2011 at 17:47


I would like to know if is there any way I can obtain the Greek citizenship? I am a US citizen divorced from a Greek citizen and we have a Greek-American child 9 yrs. old, who is already registered in Athens. I lived in Greece for a year and I went to school there one semester. Thank you, I appreciate your help.

Kat Antworten:

It takes more than having a child, a previous marriage to a Greek citizen and one year living in Greece to qualify for Greek citizenship. Please see the requirements above. Alle besten.

Memuna wrote @ March 20th, 2011 at 15:29

hi i am from Pakistan my husband worked in Greece for 10 years as a kitchen designer and fitter he has permanent residence permit of greece but then he joined me in uk .we are in uk for three years. can he now apply for greek citizenship or a greek passport??

Kat Antworten:

If you look at the section above called “Basic criteria for Greek citizenship,” you'll see under 3(c) that he must live in Greece for seven consecutive years prior to submitting an application with an absence no more than 10 months. Your husband has been gone for 3 years. That means he is no longer eligible to apply for Greek citizenship, and he cannot have a Greek passport without Greek citizenship. Further, under “Documents, fingerprints and fees,” you'll see that there are a number of other requirements to fulfill. It's not as simple as living in Greece and having a residence permit.

Lukas wrote @ April 9th, 2011 at 04:23

Hi Kat:

I wanted to let you know it's been almost two years since I submitted my paperwork for dual citizenship via my grandmother. I suppose since the Greek government is revamping the rules for naturalization (based on your info) I'll have to wait a while longer!
It's amazing it could take this long!



Follow-up: Hi Kat,

I am doing well, thanks for asking and Thanks for the clarification! No rush on my end, just amazed at the time it takes. I'll check in with the embassy here in DC in a few weeks to get a status update.

Thanks again for such a great site! I'll keep you posted!


Kat Antworten:

Hi Luke,

Wie geht es dir? I was thinking about you when reading through the comments the other day, wondering if you'd been granted Greek citizenship yet.

The Greek naturalization process being challenged is the one for citizens of no Greek origin/descent, so this would not affect you.

In your case, if you look at the updated section “How long does the Greek citizenship process take?”, I'm guessing it has to do with the 180,000 pending applications from foreign-born Greek nationals such as yourself, the reorganization of municipalities and transfer of state employees.

Part of the new law under review is the one-year deadline to return a decision to the citizenship applicant, so authorities (unfortunately) can still take as long as they want.

Thank you so much for remembering to check in. I look forward to the day you tell me you got Greek citizenship.

Hang in there!

Follow-up: As you well know, Greece has its own time schedule and no two people's experience are necessarily the same due to flexible rules and lack of results-driven deadlines.

Thank you so much for giving back to the website and your kind words.

Nigel B wrote @ May 16th, 2011 at 13:32

I have just come across this site after living in Greece for some 25 years, and having the repetitive argument of why don't I apply for Greek citizenship. As holder of an EU passport I have avoided most of the trails of the stories above. However buying a car necessitated a new Residence Permit and now I am asked to apply for a new teaching permit (including a note from a state Psych stating I am not mad!). I can laugh about it but so many have been worn down by procedures designed to delay, not to protect the country or to help those who need the protection.

Halten Sie sich die gute Arbeit!

Kat Antworten:

The three questions I get are: a) Why don't you get a job at the American embassy? As if it were that easy; b) Why don't you just marry a Greek? Right, like that solves everything. Not. c) Why don't you have citizenship after 12 years? As if it were that easy. I find that most people don't know the law and/or say you're wrong when you tell them what it is.

Unfortunately, I'm still worn down by bureaucracy but at least I can use my pain to help others and laugh about it later.

I appreciate you saying hello and the words of encouragement. Alle besten.

Lost wrote @ June 26th, 2011 at 21:14

Hallo Kat

my mother recently informed me that my uncle is stranded in Greece. I do not know the details of why or how he got there. I do know that he has no work, therefore no money and no place to stay.

I dont even know where or how to start helping him. I am hoping you could impart some knowledge to me…


Kat Antworten:

You didn't provide enough information, so it's difficult to tell you how to start helping him.

Do you know where he is, and how to contact him? Or do you need help with that? Do you have other relatives?

Is he a Greek citizen or in an illegal resident status? If he's in Athens, there are places he can go to sleep and get a meal. If he's in an illegal resident status, he may have been detained.

Are you willing to send him money and a plane ticket to bring him to where you are? It can be arranged through money transfer (Western Union, bank, etc.) and booking through an airline, as long as he has travel documents/passport and/or ID.

Sylvia N. wrote @ July 20th, 2011 at 04:37

hi, i got some questions for you. i am a romanian citizen, in april 2005 i went in Greece, got married in september with a greek man. after 2 years Romania got into EU, and now some months we separated. they pass since we got married 6 years, but we couldn`t have kids. i left Greece and went in UK, 2 months now, but i am thinking to go back and apply for greek citizenship. can you tell me which are the chances to get it? i do speak, read very well. less write greek. all depends of your answer now. if i go or not. ich danke Ihnen sehr. and congrats for all the information you got. you can work in Greece at the government:) maybe things are going to get better if you do. see ya

Kat Antworten:

Perhaps you didn't read or understand the article. Under “Basic criteria for Greek citizenship,” it says in 3C that you must be a long-term resident of Greece for 7 years if you do not have children with a Greek citizen. Therefore, you do not qualify.

It also takes much more than being married or living in Greece. Look at the long list of requirements under “Documents, fee and fingerprints.”

You're already an EU citizen, so think about why you want Greek citizenship. Coming back to Greece is a personal choice, and I cannot help with that decision.

mamta wrote @ July 23rd, 2011 at 17:29

i am married with an estonian boy
he is living with me in spain
i have 5 year resident permit of spain.
if i move to greece then plz tell me in how much time i ll get nationality from greece.

Kat Antworten:

Read the article above to learn all the requirements to apply for Greek citizenship as a non-EU citizen. It's not as simple as being married to an EU citizen and living in Greece.

From what I know about Spanish citizenship, it makes more sense to stay in Spain and get citizenship there instead of coming to Greece and starting from nothing.

fr paul wrote @ July 29th, 2011 at 15:42

I got five years here in greece, and now i have also one kid of 19 months. can I apply for a greek citizenship and passport, is it possible for me. and am from uganda. Dank

Kat Antworten:

Based only on what you told me, the answer is no. Look at the basic criteria, then all the requirements, documents and fees above in order to be eligible to apply for Greek citizenship.

2nd Warning : If people keep asking questions without reading the information given above in the article, I will close this post to comments or stop answering redundant questions.

Mike wrote @ September 12th, 2011 at 15:51

I am a citizen of the EU country (Poland) and I want to get Greek citizenship. Unfortunately I don't have the valid passport.

I want to know if I could attach a copy of my ID card as a valid travel document instead. If yes should this document be legalised,- affixed with apostille and translated into Greek or not. Currently i am a citizen of Poland and my ID as well as passport is written in Latin characters.

Und eine andere Frage. I was wondering if the passport document should also be affixed with apostille.

Waiting for your reply :)

Thanks, Mike

Kat Antworten:

Answers are already above in the article.

– For the first and second question, see 'Documents, fees, fingerprints' under #3. They should accept your ID, but you can renew your passport at the Polish embassy/consulate if they don't.
– Apostille is only required for the birth certificate, as I say under #5.

I have made the instructions as clear as possible. Don't imagine requirements that aren't there and make it harder for yourself.

If you go through the process and something is different than what I listed above, please come back and tell me as a way to give back for the assistance you received.

Wishing you all the best.

Tara wrote @ October 30th, 2011 at 11:03


what great work you have done at this site ! Most informative and most organized which comes as a great refreshment! after all things greek. Gut gemacht! It is an amazing fact that the most informative sites on any subject are almost always done by Americans.

I wonder if you could shed some light, my story is as follows: I have been married to a Greek-Austrian citizen for over 5 years now, and have had my 5 year residence permit just renewed (applied for a renewal few days ago) and have lived in Greece for 8 consecutive years. We have no kids, but the husband has 2 from his previous marriage (both live in Germany).

I believe i understand most of the requirements listed for the greek citizenship, such as the knowledge of the language & history, the permit part and so on, but after how many years of legal residence in Gr can one apply for a Greek citizenship? Is it definitely 7 years as stated or has there been any recent changes to the law?

My issue gets a bit more complicated than a wish for naturalization in Greece.

I was granted a permission for permanent stay in UK, over 10 years ago, and and on the basis of that was issued a Travel Document. My TD has been valid for 10 years and expires soon in November 2011.

I have no other ID, Passport or Travel Document. I have no idea how to and from what state authority to obtain any kind of ID document?

According to what i have read, Greek naturalization might take up to 2 years, (and if ever successful) and I no longer live in UK.

My status in UK must have changed, but i am thinking of applying to UK Authorities for the extension of the TD as they were the last Authority that has issued me an ID document (until i obtain a national passport).

It would be impossible for me to work here or do anything without having an ID.
Would you have any thoughts on this ?

I had my application ready for naturalization in UK in 2003, but never managed to go through with it as we sold the house and moved to Greece at the time. Yes i have regretted it many times over.

Would traveling to UK make things any easier? Btw my British solicitor is a bit lost as in how i would get treated in UK now.

Many thanks for your time and understanding. And good luck with your great altruistic work.

Kind Regards,

Kat Antworten:

It is seven (7) years at the moment, down from 12 years before March 2010. However, assuming you read the article, you should know there are pending issues as disclosed in the section, “Challenge to New Greek Citizenship Code.”

I cannot advise you on your travel document because: a) You didn't state your nationality or country of origin, b) you didn't state the type of TD you have, c) I am not acquainted with UK laws or the circumstances under which it was originally granted. Yes, it would be impossible to do anything in Greece without valid identification papers, in fact I'm surprised they let you renew your permit without first renewing an expiring ID.

The UK Border Agency operates a hotline you could call for expert advice. Why not call them first, then see if you need to make a trip? See “ Contact .”

leslie wrote @ December 6th, 2011 at 12:44

I alredy applied for my Greek citizenship. I think that pretty soon they will call me for an interview, they ask me if i have knowledge of the greek language, greek history , etc. Im pretty good with the language ,but i can't write it correctly . my question is if you could help me if you know the questions involve in this interview, so i can prepare myself.
thanks a lot in advance for your help

by the way I'm Mexican , married with greek and two daughters, 18 and 15, in this country for the last 22 years

Kat Antworten:

You should have attended classes and passed tests in Greek history and the Greek language, acquired certificates as proof of knowledge and submitted them along with your citizenship application, as explained above. Are you saying you didn't?

Asking me to disclose what is asked in the interview is equivalent to cheating, something that carries serious consequences in most countries and something I believe is unethical. If you know the language and history, there's no need to prepare or gather insider information.

obi wrote @ December 24th, 2011 at 14:55

hello, my wife is a romanian but have been in greece for 20 years now….. she has a permanent residence b4 the joined eu in 2007, please how will she get her greek citizen?….

Kat Antworten:

You didn't read the article. Follow the step-by-step instructions above to claim Greek citizenship. It's not as easy as living in Greece for many years.

The information can only help you if you help yourself.

Angela wrote @ January 14th, 2012 at 15:51

Hi, my Greek boyfriend and I want to get married, we work on boats and travel the world.We want to know if it compulsory for us to live in Greece in order for me to apply for Greek citizenship?

Kat Antworten:

Marriage to a Greek citizen alone does not qualify you to become a citizen. Read the section “Marrying for Greek citizenship,” then take a look at the requirements listed, starting from 'Basic criteria' and moving through 'Documents, fees and fingerprints.' Alle besten.

shahbaz wrote @ January 25th, 2012 at 20:38

im from pakistan and living in greece sicnc since 2002. i get paper in 2005 tell me the way how can i applis apply citizenship? well it is possiable possible?

Kat Antworten:

You need to meet all the requirements, pay fees and go through the process above to apply for Greek citizenship. Having a paper is not enough.

marko wrote @ February 12th, 2012 at 15:02

γεια σας,μενω στη ελλαδα απο το 1999 και εχω τελειωσει τη τριτη γυμνασειο και ολο το λυκειο 4ταξεις συνολικα.
και κατεθεσα τα χαρτια μου για τη ιθαγενεια πριν απο 2μηνες.ποσο καιρο χρεαιζεται για να με καλεσουν απτη επιτροπη?
Με εκτιμιση!

Kat Antworten:

You should know that Greece has its own timeline, if you've lived here since 1999. Two months waiting is not a long time.

The answer is in the article above in the sections, “What happens next?” and “How long does the Greek citizenship process take?” Take a look.

Ramzi wrote @ February 19th, 2012 at 18:46

This is the best place I managed to get information for the last 18 years.

I have a permanent residence permit as I have been living in Greece since 1994 (no expiry date)
For the last couple of years I have been traveling for long periods due to my work. I declare income every year and I pay taxes.one of my kids was born in Athens and my wife has the 2 years residency.

My Greek is poor and my cultural/history knowledge is null. Most of the time we speak English. I love Greece, the Greek people and I feel home here.

Next week I plan to consult a lawyer. Do you think I have a chance to obtain the nationality with my poor Greek language?

Thank you and best regards

Kat Antworten:

You must sign up for the culture/history classes and Greek language courses described above and pass tests to obtain certificates. Without passing these courses and the certificates, you cannot get Greek citizenship.

There is no need to use a lawyer, as many have no real knowledge on matters pertaining to non-Greeks, or they pretend they have knowledge to charge you money for nothing. You meet the requirements, you take the classes, pay the fee, gather your papers, fill out the application and make the submission yourself.

kuhu wrote @ March 1st, 2012 at 11:29

Thanks a ton for these informations that you have provided through your website. I just got interviewed for my greek citizenship through naturalisation is there any way to speed up the process now.

Kat Antworten:

See the section, “How long does the Greek citizenship process take?”

Nancy wrote @ March 1st, 2012 at 19:41

Comment 1:
hi am married 17 years and have 2 kids, applied with my papers in 2007 and am still waiting.

Comment 2:
hi am marriage to a greek now for 17year we have 2 kids 15 and 11 they have greek papers.i applied mine 2007 it been 6 year now i was wondering what or why its taking that long .

Kat Antworten:

You applied for Greek citizenship via naturalization under the old law, under which processing could take 2-10 years as explained in 'How long does the Greek citizenship process take?' Under the new law since March 2010, applications should be reviewed within one year.

Should you want to check the status of your application, you can inquire using the information given above under 'Contact information in Greece.'

Alexandra wrote @ March 2nd, 2012 at 03:21

Your comment was moved to “ Greek citizenship via ancestry .”

Thomas wrote @ March 8th, 2012 at 16:43

Your comment and question were moved to “ Greek citizenship by ancestry .”

marko wrote @ March 30th, 2012 at 17:23

Your question was moved to, “ Bookstores in Greece .”

micheal wrote @ April 1st, 2012 at 17:58

Hi, i appreciate ur kind help in meeting the people's need on how to go about their cases but the fact remains that the place we are is abstract from the rest of the world. why is greek treating people the way they do, Greeks have the highest immigrant populations in the various countries of the world and they are given fair treatment but reverse is the case here. am aware u are using the turkish law as ur colonial masters how are u then europeans if you are not been govern by european law. Your police need total overhauling and orientation, i plead ur indulgence as a matter of urgency to disclose to the government how the police put false allegations on people and it becomes a stigma because they are foreigners. i urge something should be done to this effect. Dank

Kat Antworten:

Hi Michael,

I cannot dispute anything you say because it's all true, but Greece and Greeks are not going to change and only care about themselves. Blame is always placed on foreigners, and it is said that they can go home if they don't like it here; it has nothing to do with humanity, lawful behavior or common decency, never mind philoxenia.

For many years I spoke out and this got me a number of death threats, people threatening to hurt my family/friends and co-workers stealing my work. The right path is too often the difficult path.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment with your concerns.

zafiris wrote @ April 14th, 2012 at 00:36

here i must appreciate your great work for creating such a useful website for non. Greek speaking people.i have applied for Greek citizenship since last year .i have Greek residence permit since 2001 and i have also a certificate of Greek language ,history and culture .few days ago they called me on cell to ask me whether i have got the invitation letter for interview or not, i said no.My question is ,that i was in my country for five and half month and i just came back in February, may it could affect my application? here i have just submit my residence permit a few day before for renewal .thanks and well don for resolving my lot of questions through this website.

Kat Antworten:

You could only endanger your eligibility for Greek citizenship if you are gone for 10 consecutive months. Therefore, I don't see an issue.

If you would like to share your experience on getting Greek citizenship via naturalization as a way to give back to the website — documents you submitted, cost, the interview process, how long it took — I would be interested in hearing your story. Please let me know.

Nasar wrote @ May 1st, 2012 at 22:46

im again here to ask like before i ask @ june 4th, 2009 at 21:36

now i want to ask different question that as a permanent residence permanent and having own good business 2 stores from 2002 (Ατομικη Επιχρησησ )

i owe to greek Banks 630,000 euro for business and buying shop store and apartments. Before i had good business in my 2 stores, beside i took 3,000 euro rent from the house and shop and i pay all my credit in the banks very good and much thier required, beside i pay very high income tax and Tebe every where very good payers but now because of this crices, I want to close my business no more customers even the house rent is nothing , all are going down, my biggest problems now how i can pay to the bank. How much I get the rent I spend my own family charges so how to pay to banks and tax or tebe .

they said there have law for νομοσ κατσελη για υπερχρεωμενα νοικοκυρια for make court apeal to make less pay or easy pay or minimum pay.. i have been συνήγορου του καταναλωτή and συνηγόρου του πολίτη but nothing. Nomos said εμπορικη αξια 85%. what can i do because im a business man and business man not allowed to appeal. Beside my property are cost 530,000 euro. But under bank hold properties. if its 85% by law to pay to bank it will be 450,000 the remaining 180,000 euro where I get to pay

i need your advice please, the more big problems now that property prices become less. i want to kill my self because it so so hard impossible to pay with out good business or hard work or good rent from the house but i feel imposible now for long time to see those what im searching .

i have 4 children and they are studying in greek school start at there young age in Παιδικου Σταθμος until now they are getting big still in Greek School. I apply for them ιθαγενια/Greek Nationality on 01/09/2010 by nomos 3838- 24/3/2010,even me I have also submit for me ιθαγενια απο 04/2009.until now no response. all my life invest are here in Greece, I make my second own country the Greece and my children don't know even my language or their mother language only Greek, what will happen to me and my family, what will be my children future after living 20 years and working hard in Greece … if there is some one who can guide me , i will be thanksfull for all,

harjit wrote @ May 20th, 2012 at 19:48

i have applied for greek citizenship in dec 2010, although 17 months have passed there is no progress. can i approach to Symvoulio tis Epikratias rather than Greek Ombudsman.I have two chidrens children and my elder son is 3 years old and he has Greek citizenship.

Kat Antworten:

You are free to inquire with whomever you wish, but there are no guarantees they will help you. As I say under 'Challenge to New Greek Citizenship Code 3838/2010′ many municipalities refuse to take applications until after elections, though you can challenge this with the Ombudsman.

marko wrote @ May 28th, 2012 at 23:45

harjit εγω θα ελεγα να παρεις τηλεφωνο στη περιφερεια που ανηκεις εκει που καταθεσες για τη πολιτογραφιση να σου πουν σε πιο σταδιο βρησκεται δινοντας τον αριθμο πρωτοκολο.

Ellie wrote @ June 7th, 2012 at 23:34

I have a couple of questions.
So, I have greek citizenship and I come from Ukraine along with my mother. She was married to a greek man years ago and he 'adopted' me last year (i was born in Ukraine) so I could take my greek citizenship. My mother has applied for hers years ago and is waiting for the simvoulio to take part this month. However, her grandmother was greek but I'm not sure if she still has the right papers to prove it. Though, since she has a greek husband and a child that's considered greek, shouldn't she have an advantage now? She was born in Ukraine and has an Ukraine citizenship but she's been living in Greece for 13 years. Aren't I supposed to be the greek child she had with her husband?
Vielen Dank im Voraus.

Kat Antworten:

Your right to claim Greek citizenship came from your father, and your mother did so through naturalization after living in Greece for many years. Marrying a Greek does not entitle a spouse to Greek citizenship; it only lowers the Greek residency requirement if a child is produced from the union.

Greek citizenship by ancestry (by blood) passes from older to younger generation. That's the meaning of descent. If she has the right papers, she can stake a claim by following “ Greek citizenship by ancestry, origin or descent .”

If not, she must go through the naturalization process described above.

Jasmine wrote @ June 19th, 2012 at 22:26

Comment 1:

Thank you very very much for all your efforts in gathering such useful information. Perhaps you should add one of those Donation Butttons so that we can contribute sth.

My question is that once I apply for a Greek citizenship am I allowed to travel abroad and work outside Greece while my application is being processed? I tried to have a thorough look in your website and I did not find any answers. I hope I am not asking something which is already there.

Vielen Dank,


Comment 2:
Thanks for your Quick reply.
I have an Iranian Nationality. Currently I hold an adia diamonis, type: Permit for employment services or projects which is valid from 07/03//2012 to 07/11/2013.
I am not married.
I do not have any other permits issues by other countries. I have been in Greece since 2001 but I have been told the frist 3 years do not count as I was a diplomat family member. So I count from 2004 onwards when I have independent permits in my own passport. since then I hold the following types of adia diamonis:

27/02/2004-2006: Adia diamois – type: Studies
2006-current: adia diamonis – type: Permit for employment services or projects.

My question is that once I apply for citizenship, if I find a job abroad am I able to work outside Greece while my application is being processed or am I obliged to stay in Greece until I receive an answer.

Many Thanks for your time.

Comment 3:
Did you forget about me? (


Comment 4:
Thank you for your explanations. I understand and will be patient.

Comment 5:
Thank you very much for your detailed explanations. Much appreciated. I make sure to share the information that might be useful to others, when I start the procedure of applying.

Have a nice summer,


Comment 6:
Under the section “Documents, fees, and finger prints required” under number 6, what amount is considered “sufficient” in the phrase “If you are single, you must provide evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself.” ?
Do they judge based on my income tax return or should I also provide a copy of my bank savings?

Comment 7:
Thank you for the updates. As much as I would like to stay positive, I am terrified that I have wasted too many years here… and now that I'm finally eligible if the law changes…
Do you know approximately when does the new law take affect effect? Can we have any estimate at all?
Vielen Dank.

Kat Antworten:

Antwort 1:
You didn't provide enough information for me to help you. What citizenship(s) do you currently hold? Do you have a valid Greek residence/work permit and if yes, what kind? Are you married to a Greek/EU citizen? Do you have any other residence/work permits issued by other countries?

Antwort 2:
Will respond shortly.

Answer 3:
I work full time as a journalist, plus I have my own obligations and say up front that I curate the Twitter news feed, run this website, update 300+ articles and answer everyone's questions in my unpaid spare time.

If a question is simple and takes a minute to answer, I'll do it. Your question doesn't fit that category; I'll need at least 30 minutes to an hour to confirm research and write a proper response. If you're only interested in a yes or no answer, I can give it to you but you won't understand why or the options open to you.

Answer 5:

Applying for Greek citizenship and being a candidate for the possible granting of Greek citizenship are not the same as being granted official papers and being a Greek citizen. You would only have free movement within the EEA/EU member states after authorities have rendered a favorable decision and granted you a certificate, which would entitle you to apply for a Greek passport and Greek ID because you need travel documents and identification that prove you are a Greek citizen.

By leaving, you endanger your residence/work permit status and eligibility for citizenship. First, to qualify for permit renewal, you must have lived within the borders for at least 185 days in a 12-month period and not established residence in another country. This is particularly important if you are denied Greek citizenship because then you would be left with no legal status in Greece and cannot come back. Second, your absence from Greece combined with the new government's threats to change the citizenship law (to who knows what) could also mean you would be disqualified and open yourself to possible denial.

The only ways you could live and work in another EEA/EU member state without restriction would be to:
a) Get a long-term EU-wide residence permit , which grants you the right to live in some (not all) member states;
b) Start from zero and find an employer willing to sponsor your visa and permit.

If you tell an employer in another EU member state that you have a Greek residence/work permit, this means nothing to them because it only entitles you to live and work in Greece.

If you wish to work outside the EEA/EU, you also need to start from zero and find an employer willing to sponsor a visa and permit for immigration.

There are no donation buttons because the majority of people expect information and answers for free, and those who need the most assistance cannot contribute anything. Only five people in 5 years have offered to contribute money even though thousands visit each day. Thank you for being one of them.

What's more valuable is respect for my work, namely giving back by sharing first-hand experience to help keep articles updated — ie, if you took notes on docs, fees, offices you visited, tests taken and the process of going through naturalization — recommending me to a friend or forum with a link back, no plagiarism, no copying.

There's no way I can customize articles to explain everyone's individual situation. Even official websites don't. But I do cover a multitude of subjects, and many answers were embedded in several articles.

Answer 6:
The current law doesn't say. But based on what I know, the minimum income is usually 8,500 euros annually. If you have a work permit, it is assumed you are earning this money and it should show on a tax statement.

As it says at the beginning of the article, the citizenship law for immigrants is being changed. It is widely believed the new government will raise the minimum residency to 10-12 years as it was before 2010. In that case, you will no longer be eligible and your only option would then be the long-term EU-wide residence permit mentioned in Answer 5.

I will update all articles on my website whenever the new law is published into law and takes effect.

Answer 7:
After living here so many years, you should know better than to ask a question like that — Greece does what it wants, whenever it wants; and what it says and what it does are two different things.

Helen wrote @ July 1st, 2012 at 20:02

Very impressed with the time you take to answer folks queries. Having just read the above, one question mentioning having a problem with names has prompted me to tell you how I took my married name (but not the possesive form normally used by females) . Greek law no longer allows women ( or men I presume) to change their surname through marriage. Being a family-minded woman, the first time I had to renew my British passport after becoming a Mum, I decided to renew it with our Greek family name. I don't have any problem with this at the bank, on our tax return etc. but I reckon the day I apply for any support from the government, for example collecting my husbands pension (I was insured before I changed my passport to my married name) I will have hell to pay for wanting the same name as my children. Apart from this, my whole name seems to always have some variation wherever it appears in Greek. I was naive for not paying attention to it at the time. Sorry for rambling on, but I will remember to let you know how I deal with this issue in future.

Kat Antworten:

My name is spelled a variety of ways, which I caught when it was being done but a non-Greek woman's protestations rarely garner serious attention and I have no plans to correct my records. Insurance funds are already bankrupt and borrowing millions to pay today's pensions, so I've made peace with giving over my many years of contributions as a gift.

I didn't think you were rambling, but rambling is welcome. Thank you for your kind words.

mayval wrote @ July 13th, 2012 at 06:23

Comment 1:
hi im filipina married at a greek man.. i have a visa now type c. duration of my stay in greece is 90 days.. me and my husband just wondering why the embassy give me only 90 days to stay in greece even i am married at the greek man .. my question is how can i be a citizen in greece.. and what do we need to do.. to get a residence and citizenship.. i mean dual citizenship… please help us.. me and my husband feel hard bcos we are going to 5yrs long distance relationship… pls tell us everything what are we going to do and what we need to do.. its very big help for us…

thank you… :))

Comment 2:
we know its not easy even im marry at da greek man… we just only want to know what we need to do whats the 1st step we need to do… if how many years you need to stay in greece to get a citizenship.. how can i stay long time in greece.. to apply residence 1st and how many yrs they give me? also it easy to get residence visa do we need to pay? how much? residence visa its renewal or what? after that i can apply the citizen already? pls tell us we super stress about this… im lucky coz i see this site…

thank you so much…..

Comment 3:
i have 1 more question how can i get or what we need to do so i can permanent residence in greece do i need to be a citizen or even im not a citizen of the greece thanks alot and sorry for too many question hehehe… were just stress about this.. your answer its very big help for and to my husband thanks again

Comment 4:
thank you for that in info.. me and my husband ask many times to greece embassy here in philippines.. and they told us..my husband need to register or declare our marriage at the greece and he need to give me the invitation.. when my husband finish to declare our marriage in greece he send it to me include the invitation… after that ii give all requirements to the greece embassy that they ask me… and now they give me a visa for only 90 days.. and we feel a little disapoint about that… cos before we start to processing the papers i told them that i need complete info how can i immigrate in greece.. so what they told us thats the only we follow.. thats why its big question now to us.. why like that…
Anyway kat thank you so much.. we were going to contact again the embassy about this…


Kat Antworten:

To understand how to get a Greek residence permit, read “ How non-EU citizens can get a permit to move, live and work in Greece .” There's no such thing as a residence visa.

Your husband is responsible for helping you get a national/Schengen visa through the Greek embassy/consulate in your homeland in order to immigrate to Greece; ask him why he hasn't done it or why you are not eligible. If he does not understand the process, he needs to visit a grafeio allodapon in Greece to have staff explain the visa and residence permit process for a non-EU spouse. I cannot provide answers because you did not give enough information.

It takes 5-10 years living in Greece to be granted permanent residence. You are not eligible.

To understand how to get Greek citizenship, read the article above.

Viel Glück.

Mike wrote @ August 17th, 2012 at 08:09
styles wrote @ August 25th, 2012 at 00:54
hakan wrote @ September 30th, 2012 at 03:39

first i would like to thank you for your great job you did here.
im married to a greek women ,sence 1 and a half year and we have a child together , and im out of greece right now , and i will probably stay for more than 6 months ,will that be a problem for me later if i want to apply for greek citizenship , becouse i didnt read that in the articel , you montioned somting about 10 month for those how need to be living in greece for 7 years ,is it the same for me , and what are my chances to get the citizenchhip ? Danke

Kat Antworten:

As it says in the article under 'Basic criteria for Greek citizenship' in (3a), you must be married for 3 years, have a child and be living for 3 full consecutive years in Greece. I don't indicate you can be outside Greece because the meaning of “3 full consecutive years” means no interruption.

When you're outside Greece for six (6) months or more, you are not considered a resident of Greece.

Your chances of citizenship depend on whether you can meet every single requirement listed in the article. It takes much more than being married to a Greek and having a child. Bitte werfen Sie einen Blick.

Sanura wrote @ November 20th, 2012 at 12:43


i have some questions to ask from you.my wife's mother currently working in Greece so she came to Greece in 2008 June and she expecting to go for Permanent Residence.she can speak only English and she dose not has any possibility to obtain any letters from her employer.she going to be complete five years in next year June .so i want to know what would be the criteria she has to follow and she has a possibility to go for PR or become a citizen in Greece.

Please tale a look and send me the all the information covering up it

Kat Antworten:

For non-EU citizens not married to Greek/EU citizens, permanent residence is only granted after 10 years residency in Greece. Your wife's mother does not qualify.

To get Greek citizenship via naturalization, she needs to meet the requirements listed, plus follow the steps in the above article. Assuming you read the article, you should know that she does not qualify as the residency requirement is more than 5 years and she does not have fluency in Greek.

A long-term residence/work permit for Greece is available for people who can prove they're legally working here for 5 years and have fluency in Greek. Click the link for details. However, if she does not have proof, this option is also not open to her.

There are no other options, unless there are circumstances you have not disclosed.

I am a private person, and I do not email or offer personalized assistance to readers, as stated at “ Comments, Questions and Contacting Me .” I've already researched, translated, written, updated and made articles available for free. The information can only help, if people help themselves. She can visit an allodapon/dimos office and receive advice from government employees, which my taxes pay for.

Babak wrote @ November 23rd, 2012 at 08:57

Your question was moved to “ Long-term EU-wide residency/work permits .”

James wrote @ November 23rd, 2012 at 20:27

I am a non-EU Citizen studying in the UK, however, my girlfriend who is also here in the UK with me is a full Greek citizen studying in the same University with me, and we are planing to get married anytime soon. Although, she wants to stay here in the UK and work after her studies. But my fear is, if we finally get married what will happen as regards to our staying together since she is an EU-citizen and wants to stay here in the UK, while am a Non-EU citizen and might return back to my country due to the fact that i only have student visa not residence or work permit. Please how can we get to stay together as husband and wife in a country she has chosen to stay in?

Kat Antworten:

Your situation and question have nothing to do with Greece and must be directed to the UK Border Agency because that's where you're currently living, and this is the country she plans to stay. Find them here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Mondi wrote @ December 16th, 2012 at 06:05

I have looked at your website and feel that you have done a great job helping people like myself with question about Greek citizenship.

I was born in Albania, my Dad, step-mother and I moved to Greece in 1990. We are of a Greek minority born in Albania. My sister was born in Greece in 1991. My dad, step-mom and my sister have da their greek citizenship and passports, step-mom and dad are retired in greece, my sister is finishing her final year at the University in Greece. I lived in Greece only 4 years from 1990 to 1994. I'm married to my wife (USA citizen) from 1994 and since then, I have been working and living in the USA. I have my USA passport for 12 years now. I speak read and write Greek very well and I'm very familiar with Greek culture and history. Can I apply for a Greek citizenship and have dual USA/Greek passports. By the way I'm 42 years old.

Thank you in advanced for any advise or direction on how to proceed.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Kat Antworten:

As stated in the article above, you must:
a) be descended from an ancestor of Greek origin born in Greece;
b) be a person of non-Greek descent currently living in Greece who meets the 'Basic Criteria for Greek citizenship' above and is in possession of everything listed in 'Documents and fees.' All applications are frozen as of November 30.

You do not fit (b). If you fit (a), follow instructions at “ Greek citizenship via descent, ancestry, origin .” If you qualify another way, the info you gave is incomplete/too little and you need to consult the Greek consulate/embassy nearest your residence.

Kat wrote @ December 16th, 2012 at 13:30

Note from Kat : Comments are closed as of December 2012, due to 90 percent of people asking redundant questions.

If you ignore this message and find a different article with comments open, I will:
– Direct you back to this message;
– Transfer your comment to this post but not answer;
– Reserve the right to delete your question, per the policy stated in “ Comments, Questions and Contacting Me .”

I am only accepting corrections and contributions from people who took notes on their first-hand experience from beginning to end, as a way to give back to the website in exchange for the free assistance they received.

I run the website and news feed in my unpaid time, so it needs to be used efficiently.


Es tut uns leid, Kommentare sind zu dieser Zeit geschlossen.