Summer in Greece returns for Halloween

It’s only noon and already 27°C (81°F) in Athens…and rising! Perfect weather for trick or treating without looking like a nerd and wearing long underwear or a jacket under your costume, but of course we don’t celebrate Halloween in Greece.

Some American schools and Greek-American families carve pumpkins, eat cupcakes and have parties for children. Most of us just wait until February or March for Carnival, which is one last indulgence before Lent.

I’m going to eat a stash of candy I smuggled from the USA — bottlecaps, Fun Dip, red licorice whips, Razzles, Abba Zabba and some blow pops — then go outside and burn off my sugar high before I fall into a diabetic coma. Sadly, it’s also warmer outdoors than inside my uninsulated house.

Wherever you are and whatever you’re doing, enjoy the day! Boo ha ha!

And remember kids, don’t drink or do drugs or you might look like this. Scary Halloween mask or Eddie Van Halen? You decide. Eek!

Photo from the Associated Press

Taste of America in Greece
Crazy American things
Corn dogs in Athens?

Aris wrote @ October 31st, 2008 at 16:18

Eish, Eddie van Halen used to be my idol – he sure has aged. Maybe that’s what cancer does to you.

rositta wrote @ November 1st, 2008 at 02:15

Enjoy your sugar high. I’m just in between handing out goodies to neighbourhood kids. We are having an unusual late Indian summer with temps hitting 17c today, lucky us…ciao

Peter wrote @ November 1st, 2008 at 06:32

Even in Chicago it was 20C and clear skies. My favorite are the milk duds I just took out of my 3 year olds jack o lantern…but don’t tell him I did that…. we can blame his older sister haha

I hope all is well for you and enjoy the new month. Oh, as a matter of fact, the one thing that I miss most when in Greece are bagels.

kalliope wrote @ November 1st, 2008 at 16:06

My candy of choice is Good ‘n Plenty, Mike and Ikes and Candy Corn.

Top costume in the USA, “Sarah Palin”! Am hoping we forget what she looks like by next Halloween.

Vote Expats Vote!!!! Happy November.

Kat wrote @ November 2nd, 2008 at 09:19

A – Frightening, eh? He’s only 53. He had tongue and mouth cancer, which he claims were caused by holding a guitar pick in his mouth and being immersed in electromagnetic waves in a studio. I’m doubtful of this statement since he’s not the only guitarist working under these conditions, and others haven’t developed cancer. He also says he’s cured.

Many things cause aging — sun, alcohol, smoking, poor diet, no exercise. I hypothesize that he’s guilty of most, if not all of them. He has my sympathy to a point, but he continues to enter/exit rehab and smoke like a chimney. I wish him happiness in his second marriage.

R – Well, at least it’s not snowing where you are! ;)

P – LOL! Stealing candy? Still a kid at heart, I see. Wow, milk duds. I haven’t seen or thought about those in years. Real bagels (not bread cutouts they call bagels here) are indeed MIA in Greece, and I have a few friends who pine for them. When I’m really desperate, I make bagels but this is once in a blue moon because it’s time consuming.

K – I concur with your sentiments on SP. Yeesh. My mom used to love the same candy you listed, so you’d have a fight on your hands, in addition to your dad wrestling you for Butterfingers. We don’t stash Butterfingers after our trips to the USA because as you know, they’re best eaten fresh. :D

KT wrote @ November 2nd, 2008 at 15:12

oh you poor people…i almost threw away over 60 bags(about 10 to 15 kilos each) worth of candy in my part-time job, until me and my co-workers convinced my manager to donate some to the troops =) … I feel for you ..I can’t believe they dont have Butterfingers or Milk duds in Greece…I will be coming in January , for 2 weeks so if anyone needs something small that fits in my suitcase.. let me know ahead and plan to meet me at Elefterios Venizelos. =)

i know this has nothing to do with the post but do you know of any websites that list organizations such as hamogelo tou pediou in greece, or for the help of planting trees, where someone can donate money? Thanks!

If you’re asking for a centralized website listing a compilation of volunteer and charitable organizations, I don’t know of one. There are websites and links attached to ads on the front page of my website: One to “Plant Your Roots in Greece,” which gives info for donation by check, direct deposit, physical in person deposit and via Paypal; another to the “Archelon” group, which helps baby turtles. And this is where people can learn about making donations to Xamogelo tou Paidou (only in Greek). http://www.hamogelo.gr/default.asp?pid=44&la=1

According to a recent survey, most Greek residents do not trust the Internet or online payment systems. So much of business is still done in cash and in person, though other forms of payment are gaining popularity.

Cheryl wrote @ November 3rd, 2008 at 07:22

We had a nice party! Kosta brought back a bag of Halloween candy with Butterfingers, Baby Ruths and other favorites. oh, and of course, candy corn! That was devoured by everyone before the end of the party. Our guests consisted of other expats from America and then even our neighbors came over. We laughed when their car pulled up because we could only imagine what they might have thought. We had the spooky sounds cd blasting through the yard, it was a riot. But, they were really receptive and loved to see the kids in the costumes enjoying themselves.

We were right about the pumpkins…we carved them the night before because we knew that the fruit flies would be all over them…sure enough…fruit flies everywhere! So glad we waited.

It’s always nice to have a stash of sweets from home, I’m glad that you had yours. The weather was nice but very humid here and everything gets wet as soon as the sun sets so that’s a bummer and my house is freezing too! We’ve had the fireplace burning for over a month now so at least the living room is warm.

We enjoyed ourselves in celebrating-I wish that you lived closer! Have a great week!