Living in Greece

A practical guide to moving, living, working & traveling in Greece, plus musing and misadventures from an American in Athens

Greek-Australian social security agreement

Greek Australian flags from APPhoto from

An agreement of international cooperation between the social security organizations of Greece (IKA) and Australia came into effect on October 1, 2008.

Whether you are an Australian living in Greece or a Greek living in Australia, this means:

  • Legal assurance that your pension rights are protected
  • Years of contributions from both countries may be combined to meet eligibility requirements
  • Reduced taxation on contributions
  • Right to claim retirement benefits in one or both countries (dependent on eligibility)

The introductory flyer called, “Social Security Agreement between Australia and Greece,” which provided an explanation, answers to basic questions and contact information, is no longer available. However, their staff is fluent in several languages and can receive inquiries by email or phone at no charge.

Questions and inquiries

Centrelink in Australia
Tel: Centrelink has set up “Toll-free calling from Greece to Australia

IKA in Greece
website: (Greek only)
Tel: List of IKA offices (in English)

* Please be aware that the Australian Embassy in Athens does not handle social security inquiries per this message, and I cannot answer questions because I am not eligible for a pension as a Greek or Australian citizen. However, readers with first-hand experience are encouraged to share their comments and stories.

Related links

Social security agreement between the USA and Greece – Social Security Administration (SSA)

Social security agreement between Canada and Greece – Human Resources and Social Development of Canada (HRSDC)

Related posts

– “Collecting U.S. retirement benefits while abroad
– “How to get a visa and residence permit to retire or otherwise live in Greece on independent means
– “IKA covers prescription medicine

* Article updated July 22, 2009


  kris wrote @ October 6th, 2008 at 16:51

Hi, i was passing by this blog by surfing on the internet and looking for interesting information aubout living and working in Greece. Well, you give interesting information good post.
Greece and Crete Fan

  photene wrote @ October 9th, 2008 at 22:44

Hi Kat, just a quick note to say how great your posts are and the information you provide is terrific!

  Giorgos wrote @ October 11th, 2008 at 06:39


Just a note to say thanks for this post. This agreement impacts both my parents, and I only found out through your website.

Keep up the great work as I know it must take effort to research this! Your website is always an interesting read for those who want to know the real Greece “beyond the islands”.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne

  Kat wrote @ October 12th, 2008 at 20:37

K – Hi and thanks. Hope you find the information on Greece useful, now or in the future.

P – How sweet! 🙂 And thanks for hanging in there with me. I know I don’t post as often as I used to, but time is in short supply with changes going on behind the scenes — work, personal and otherwise.

G – Glad to know it’s helpful. There was a blurb in a newspaper here in Athens, but I take things one step further and give more practical how-to information in case someone needs it, not just “today it came into effect (the end).” People like you make it worth my time. 🙂

  JennyL wrote @ December 9th, 2010 at 23:15

Hi, I feel I have been going in circles with this issue. Does anyone know of a person/office that can assist with the Greek/Australian pension plan application?


Kat Reply:

You did not provide information for me to help you. However, I can give you a general answer and hope that sets you in the right direction.

Where do you file for your pension? Depends. Who are you collecting from?
— If your contributions were made to IKA, you go to an IKA office. See, “IKA offices in Greece” to find one nearest you.
— If you made contributions to OAEE/TEVE, you go to an OAEE/TEVE office. See “OAEE office nearest you” (in Greek only).
— It’s also possible to visit a KEP Citizen Service Centre to file an application to receive pensions from any social insurance fund (See “Tax offices in Greece” and click the link for KEP in English or Greek), but they may not have knowledge of how to integrate any years of contributions made in Australia.

If the majority of your years of contributions were made in Australia, you should file in Australia using the info in the article and mention the years and contributions in Greece to help you qualify and calculate the amount you’re entitled to receive.

Sorry, comments are closed at this time.