Live Your Myth in Greece 2008

Every year, the Greek National Tourism Organization releases a new commercial to promote Greece as the ultimate destination. Past campaigns have included overly smiley people with happy feet…

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE04nRgJiSU]

and the “Explore your…” series.

[youtube=http://youtube.com/watch?v=4-ZeMwI2pL4]

See which ones didn’t make the cut for 2008.

* Warning: If you have no sense of humor, look away now.

Smoke Your Myth in Greece

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuryLfLxRUc]

Swim Your Myth in Greece

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0e7Tv5zWrM]

Syrtaki Your Myth in Greece

Starts at 1:34

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ooR06kwTWU]

In the News

Live your myth in Greece” — Kathimerini (2009)
Live your Greece in myth” — Photo (2011)

Kalimera!
The true Greek experience
Journey to Hellas
Greece, land of Gods

blog counter

8 Comments

graffic wrote @ January 14th, 2008 at 20:26

Let me see:
1st: 5.5/10
2nd: 7/10
3rd: 8.5/10

But I remember a video from Singles making fun of tourism advertisements, check them here. It’s good too :)

The Scorpion wrote @ January 14th, 2008 at 21:08

I thought somewhere in the Hyphenated-Greek community we’d see some sort of parody of Greece with all the real things we see in greece everyday, i.e:

– Strikes (causing delays at airports and tourists missing their lifetime trip to the Acropolis)

– Garbage overflowing everywhere

– Taxi Driver Cowboys

– Trip hazards everywhere you walk

– Driving

– Staring

– Smoking like chimneys

I remember somewhere there was a website called “Beautiful Greece” or something where it let people post pictures of only things above, and not the normal stuff. Sure, it was mean, but hey it was still funny.

As an American, I hear criticism of the USA on a daily basis from Greeks, so I would hope the Greeks wouldn’t mind a little teasing on the things that bother us immigrants as well.

Stathis wrote @ January 14th, 2008 at 22:31

Israel twelve points – Israel douge points

Cheryl wrote @ January 15th, 2008 at 12:14

Gave us a good laugh!! Very, very funny.

dealsend wrote @ January 15th, 2008 at 14:31

Very funny!!

Abravanel wrote @ January 15th, 2008 at 14:40

lol I knew the last one but not the first two, I wonder if there are others? Good stuff in any case!

Nikos wrote @ January 19th, 2008 at 21:07

Hi, very funny stuff. I’ve been reading some of the things you’ve written, and have found myself shaking my head in agreement with many of the trials and tribulations related to trying to live here.

Keep it up… We need a realistic look at the real Greek experience as seen through the eyes of a non-greek. Seems most expat sites read like a Fodor’s guide without getting into the realities of coping with greek technocrats.

As for me, this greek-american is just about ready to pack it in and wave goodbye to the myth. I hear Mexico is really picking up these last few years. Maybe you and your husband should hold off on the house purchase and buy a couple of tickets. I know I will…

Good luck, and keep on posting.

Kat wrote @ January 19th, 2008 at 21:45

G – I saw that during my search, but narrowed it to three with the closest format. Thanks for offering it! Quite a few people clicked on it.

The S – I seem to remember something about that, as well, but can’t recall the name. I was also looking for something of that nature to include and didn’t find what I wanted. Nothing wrong with a little healthy ribbing, though I’ve found most people here can dish it out but can’t take it when dished back.

S – Indeed, the last one is by an Israeli company promoting Pireaus feta. Getting ready for Eurovision? ;)

C – :) We all need a little comic relief sometimes. Life can’t be taken too seriously.

D – Hi again! Glad you enjoyed the show.

A – Hey, nice to see you! Yes, the last one has been around awhile; it’s an oldie but goodie. The other two were recently posted by Greek users of YouTube.

N – Welcome and thanks for commenting today! I hope you’ll do so more in the future, even if you have a different opinion. I started the site because no one seemed to be telling real stories from the ground, especially about non-EU citizens, and there wasn’t any practical information being offered on visas, permits and jobs. That’s not to say “Fodor’s-infused” stories aren’t true; I believe they are because it’s exhilarating at the beginning of any new experience, the senses are heightened and challenge is overcome by charm. But that’s not how life stays once the honeymoon wears off the the thrill of dating Greece wears off. It makes me feel nice that Greeks and non-Greeks alike can nod their head because these stories then become “ours” and not just mine.

We are not purchasing a home here, as we can get a bigger house for less in another EU country or even the overpriced state of CA nowadays. Hard to believe, but it’s true; we’ve looked. I myself love Mexico, but most of our family/friends are in the EU. The stakes keep changing for us, so it’s possible we may see you over there ;) Please drop in once in awhile and say ‘hi.’