Kalanta and kourambiethes

Kourambiethes

The presence of children ringing their bells and ours for kalanta and coins was nearly non-existent at our new location, in comparison to my apartment in the center of Athens where they started from 5:30 a.m. and went non-stop.

And the delicate snow that befalls kourambiethes has yet to make an appearance to test my annual skills of not inhaling and choking as I take my first bite.

Snow is falling on this site, however, isn’t that fun?!?

Merry Christmas, Kales Giortes, Feliz Navidad and Buon Natale! :)

Talking turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas in Greece
New Year’s in Greece (Protochronia)

Photo from salon.com

Stathis wrote @ December 25th, 2007 at 12:08

Kales Giortes you suburbian Kat!

tsevdos wrote @ December 25th, 2007 at 15:45

Merry Christmas Kat!!!

christina wrote @ December 25th, 2007 at 23:24

Merry Christmas! Love the snow. I think I’ll just sit here and look at it for a while since our weather has been rather soggy.

Cheryl wrote @ December 26th, 2007 at 19:48

The snow is great! Hope that you had a great Christmas.
About Kalanta-our kids were the only ones around here. We didn’t take them out until late morning. They loved it.

Have a Happy New Year!!

Dean wrote @ December 29th, 2007 at 16:15

I was in Serres and it was kalanta madness. Very festive over there with bands playing in the streets and many groups of children going apartment building to apartment building.

The only suspect group was some obviously drugged up 35 year old+ guys who tried to walk into my grandmother’s apartment to sing (or rob her!?) when she left the door open. Luckily I was there to turn them away and tell them to leave the building.

Kat wrote @ December 29th, 2007 at 17:22

S – I know, suburbia. I blame my fiance; I was always a city Kat before this…well, unless you count my time in CA, then yes I was suburban then as well.

JT – Thanks! Episis and filia

C – Hey there. Is your baking done? At least you have snow on your beautiful cookies and cakes. I told my fiance your “Men don’t listen and mustard” story the other day. LOL, hilarious!

C – I continue to admire you as a mom and woman. Are you going out for the New Year’s kalanta and Epiphany kalanta as well?

D – Oh dear!