Just another Greek male model

I don’t know how many male models I’ve dated, but yesterday I added another to the list. My partner has been chosen to do some sportswear ads running this week. *Sigh*

Working in the industry during my late teens and early 20s, I’m familiar with the lingo and politics of fashion. But I gave it up because I hated all the primping, prodding and obsessing. i.e. My agency wouldn’t send me on go-sees for a week after gaining a pound from cake and alcohol on my 21st birthday. I simply didn’t care or have the commitment at that level.

The first male model I dated was Ronnie. I like men who are genuinely nice guys with some brains, and he fit that bill but there’s something strange about dating someone with the potential to look prettier than you. At least I knew that up front.

The others I remember were underground. After years of friendship and months of dating, I inadvertently outed Giorgo as a model when I called in the middle of a runway show. He explained it as, “You know, it’s just a party where I’m wearing some clothes and walking around for awhile.” LOL! All the guys got on the phone, and we had a good laugh. He’s cute as pie.

After meeting Panagiotis in a NY trance club and being back in Athens full time, he never once mentioned his side profession. One morning as I was going to work, my bus stopped at a signal and I looked up to see Panagioti’s face plastered on the back of every bus and trolley in Athens. This was followed by a Peggy Zina video, Coke ad and Glou commercial. He poo-poo’d it off, saying it was nothing and I kind of liked that about him.

Now my partner.

He didn’t know his pant or shirt size when they called to collect the info, so he asked me. I also cleaned up his eyebrows, but not in a feminine plucked “Joey” way (if you’ve seen the Friends episode). He called me before the shoot to talk about clothes, during the shoot to talk about makeup, and after the shoot to tell me it went fine.

Arriving home, he proclaimed “the camera loved me!” I offered my congratulations and was happy to see him enjoying a moment in the spotlight. Perhaps I deserve some credit for grooming him? Nope. Showing him how to position himself and smile after he ruined 90 percent of our vacation photos last year with his weird poses and cheesy smile? Nope.

“I was the best one! The camera loved me. I’m going to be on the cover,” he said. Whether or not that’s true, he’s already slacking in his newfound status, leaving dirty clothes all over the house and not washing the dishes last night. He’ll hear about it later.

Being a cover boy just doesn’t cut it around here. ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQcwP1BeUaU[/youtube]

Conversation with my Greek guy
Three guys, two girls and a hamburger joint
No smoking in the house!
website metrics

graffic wrote @ September 26th, 2007 at 21:16

Congrats to him :)

Now it’s time to prepare dinner and lunch, while watching The lord of the rings on TV.

Ilana wrote @ September 27th, 2007 at 00:09

Love your blog, really interesting, useful information! I am a New Yorker and have been dreaming about moving to Athens for as long as I can remember. I have been to Greece about 5 times and have lots of friends who live in various parts (though mostly Athens and Thessaloniki). I have seriously considered moving but probably like you have experienced, as an American citizen, discouragement by family and friends from doing so .. I have a pretty interesting career path in Interactive marketing in NY but would really love to at least give this dream a shot. What do you think? I know you made it happen so I would really appreciate your thoughts!

Many thanks!

Kat wrote @ September 27th, 2007 at 01:24

I want to say again that I am one of thousands of non-EU citizens of no Greek origin who came here alone to do this — I know only one other woman like me, and she’s leaving this year by choice after 8 years. Everyone else went home long ago and more are leaving now after only a short time. My family is dead, my real friends have been encouraging. I made it because I will claw my way to a destination through sheer will and because I sacrificed on a scale most people can’t imagine. People say my story is inspiring, but I don’t see that because to me it’s just life and I’m here to make the most of it. This site is not an online journal, therefore many serious issues are glossed over with humor or omitted altogether for the sake of privacy so people will never know the whole story. You are also seeing me after I’ve already made it, not the infinite number of dark days that came years before. With that in mind…

To everyone thinking of moving to Greece for whatever reason (boyfriend/girlfriend, dream, sabbatical, family obligations, study, escape, etc.), I do not hold special knowledge and am not at liberty to give people advice on extremely personal and important decisions that will forever impact the course of your life.

NO ONE is fit to counsel people on matters that should best be decided by sitting quietly with yourself and searching for answers within. Only you know what you truly want, only you know what’s best for you, only you know what you can live with.

Cheers everyone!

Ilana, I made your comment and question public because I get at least a dozen people a month asking me the same thing, and I felt a lot could be accomplished by publishing an answer for everyone (past, present and future). Thank you for your kind words. :)

EllasDevil wrote @ September 27th, 2007 at 11:18

I too had the same particular side proffession when I was a student.

It was fun most of the time and it was a great way to earn $$$’s

The Scorpion wrote @ September 27th, 2007 at 11:23

With all stereotypes about female models, it’s good to know that most male models are quite intelligent. In fact, I’m basing this on a wonderful movie called Zoolander (starting Owen Wilson) which portrays how clever male models really are.

It’s a must read for those on the “A” train to stardom… :)

Sydney wrote @ September 27th, 2007 at 13:11

After reading this, I’ve got that Shania Twain song in my head.

Diana wrote @ September 27th, 2007 at 15:49

Ha ha – the first sentence in this entry is priceless! I chuckled when I read it.

Great advice that you gave to Ilana. I also am a Greek-American who is seriously considering moving to Athens. I have great working experience and have spoken to potential employers in Athens who feel that I would be a great addition to their teams. However, GUILT is what is preventing me from making a final decision — guilt about leaving my aging parents behind. My closest friend is very supportive. I really want to do this for me, but it’s the darned guilt that gets me every time. Ugh ! No one can make this decision for me.

Richard wrote @ September 28th, 2007 at 04:51

Good blogging!

Kat wrote @ September 28th, 2007 at 07:34

G – Thanks! :)

ED – It was too hardcore in the USA, but I’m glad you had fun with it and got some spendin’ money.

S – I’m not sure if it’s a majority or not, I can only speak for the ones I dated. I usually screen out candidates in the first 30 seconds. LOL . I’ve never seen Zoolander, but maybe I will now.

Syd – ;) You kill me

D – Glad I could provide a little amusement. P.S. I’m sure you’ll figure it out.

R – Thanks!

The cover ended up being a group shot, so Mr. Model has come back down to Earth with the rest of us commoners. He still hasn’t washed the dishes, so tonight I won’t do them either OR make dinner and we’ll see what happens…

yiannos wrote @ September 30th, 2007 at 13:44

the stereotype of models being dumb is not entirely unfounded. however, i’d say quite a sizeable percentage of the ones i’ve met–maybe 20%–are just hustlers exploiting the gift that ‘god’ gave them. in other words, it’s a short term business venture, nothing more. they study and have other serious plans that don’t involve modelling.

of course none of them wanted to date me but that’s a completely different story altogether :-)

G P wrote @ August 29th, 2013 at 23:32

ok then
yu are a hardy woman looking for semi-gay guys
thats clear

What’s not clear is your ability to write and spell when (unsuccessfully) attempting to insult a stranger you know nothing about.