More windows on Greek TV than my house

mega-windows.jpgPhoto from athens.indymedia.org

Anyone participating in the scourge that is Greek TV should be aware of these guidelines.

The TV schedule is an estimate

Just because “Sex in the City” is on at midnight today, it doesn’t mean it’ll be on the same time tomorrow. It may start at 23:00, 23:40 or 1:00. If you’re setting your VCR or DVD player, allow at least one hour before and one hour after the program’s scheduled time slot. Also don’t be surprised if the program never comes on and you tape something completely different. It’s not you.

Here today, gone tomorrow

If you’ve been watching “America’s Next Top Model” or “Gossip Girl” every day at 16:00 for the past month, it can suddenly change to 17:00 mid-week, switch from weekdays to only Saturdays or disappear altogether, even if it’s the middle of the series. Don’t get attached. The good thing is reruns will probably start again next month, so be patient.

Channels tend to play ancient TV series from America & Australia

Shows like “ALF,” “The Nanny” and “Bewitched” run now and again, and some people actually like it. There are some series, such as “Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place” that I’d never even heard of until I lived here. If you missed seeing them as a kid, here’s your chance.

It’s funnier dubbed in Greek

“The Joy of Painting” with Bob Ross and his happy little clouds is even funnier dubbed in Greek — the voice, the choice of expressions, the laughing. For those keeping track, yes he’s dead (rest his soul) — like many other stars of ancient series playing here — but he’s got a second life in Greece.

CAPS mean nothing

Just because the show is CAPPED in Greek TV guides to indicate an English-language program, be prepared to hear Oprah speak Greek. There is no way to know when a program will be dubbed or subtitled, or half dubbed and half subtitled. Sometimes the earlier showing is dubbed, and the 2 a.m. showing is subtitled; sometimes not. Sometimes a BBC program will be half in English and half in Greek with people interviewed in French or German, so you’re in luck if you like inconsistency and linguistic buffets.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx1wOOjwQqs[/youtube]

Nothing is better than the original, but you can’t see it

“Ugly Betty” is an award-winning show in America originally from Colombia, but in Greece they had “Maria H Askima” for your viewing (dis)pleasure. There’s also a badly filmed, cheap knock-off of CSI complete with plastic guns and ridiculous fight scenes.

When STAR played the commercial (above) for a new spy/assassin series called “Mr. and Mrs. Kourkoulis,” I thought it was a joke. Nope, unfortunately, it was real. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but maybe it’s just unoriginal laziness.

If you can’t afford a taverna, one will be provided for you at no cost

There is a plethora of programs where you can see other people having faux fun at a fake taverna, with red-and-white checked tablecloths on the same rickety tables and chairs, good/skilou singers, trays of flowers, plate-breaking, dancing, posturing and corny banter. Στην υγεια σας, Κοιτα τι εγινε and Το παρτυ της ζωης σου are sometimes on at the same time, which means you can taverna-hop, just like in real life but without face control and the expense. But it also means you’re missing out on smoke inhalation, table dancing, overpriced whiskey, temporary deafness and bad service. ;)

You can experience déjà vu every few months

Channels play the same movies or series on a three-month rotation, as if an infinite number of movies and TV shows didn’t exist. That’s great news if you like Steven Seagal from his lean to sumo years, Sylvester Stallone from mumbly to audible, Roger Moore as 007, Batman and Robin, Jean-Claude Van Damme from brawny to baldy, Wesley Snipes (not Arsenio Hall) and any movie that has a reference to Greece.

If Greek media are on strike, it gets worse with Airplane, Police Academy and Naked Gun playing in succession.

Shamefully, I once watched “Revenge of the Giant Squid” because the movie rental store was closed, and it was the only thing I hadn’t already seen.

Commercial breaks are spontaneous and lengthy

Instead of breaking programs and movies where the director or producer has provided an intentional pause, scenes are unnaturally broken while an actor is midway through his lines or during a key fight scene. And when the program returns — sometimes after an hour of news and you no longer care about how it ends — it won’t be backtracked to the beginning of the scene or the actor’s line.

Many stations run commercials for up to 10 minutes, so mute it and don’t feel bad about walking away to boil some pasta and vegetables. You have plenty of time.

Many good shows are on after midnight

Law and Order, CSI, Nip/Tuck and other shows I tolerate aren’t usually on until midnight or later. Hello, I have a job. I think it’s a bit sad to take a nap in the middle of the day just to stay up late and watch TV.

Don’t watch SKAI if spiders & snakes creep you out

Kudos to SKAI for having Eco News and shows from Animal Planet, but please give the slimy, venomous and scaly things a rest. Nearly every time I happen by, there’s a close-up of something being killed, cocooned or swallowed whole. Bleck!

More windows on Greek news than in your house

Although 7 of 10 viewers polled said they are unhappy with the quality of TV and Greek news in particular, nothing has dampened the trend of παράθυρα (windows) in which people/politicians are placed in 5, 6 or 9 slots to debate a subject but instead shout over each other without taking a breath or letting anyone finish a sentence. It’s like a dysfunctional Hollywood Squares without the prizes.

For the first seven years I lived in Greece, I didn’t own a TV. A few people had tried giving me TVs when they moved away, but I’d end up donating them to others. Between work, learning Greek, clubbing and dealing with bureaucracy, there wasn’t time and I wasn’t home. I also suspected there was nothing to watch.

I finally broke down and bought a TV on the day of the Athens 2004 Opening Ceremonies, during which I cried more than my Greek friends. I cried again during the Closing Ceremonies but in OAKA amongst thousands from the Greek diaspora.

Now, unless I’m watching BBC, CNN, “Apodexeis” with Nikos Evangelatos, “Fakeloi” or a DVD, it pretty much sits in the corner and collects dust, though I also blast the TV volume to drown out the incessant whining and screaming of children of all ages.

And for the record, I have only two actual windows in the house; the rest are doors with windows.

In the News

Poisonous Trash on Greek TV
Scraping the bottom of Greek TV’s barrel
Greek media sinks to new low: Playboy weather girl becomes TV reporter

Greek media, now with less racism
Give me a break!

The Author

Kat is a well-traveled American journalist and author. To learn more, see “About Me.”

• Livingingreece.gr was created in 2007 to present meticulously researched original articles that fill a gap left by traditional media, government portals and commercial websites/forums run by people without credentials.
  • @LivinginGreece is a Twitter feed curated from recognized Greek and international news agencies to provide breaking news about Greece, plus real-time updates and insider tips mined from 15 years experience.

Please note my copyright policy and be aware that violations will be pursued.

54 Comments

Mayra wrote @ July 31st, 2007 at 21:05

This is hilarious. I would LOVE to watch Greek TV; it seems endlessly amusing. Although I guess it would get old after a while…

Mayra – Greek TV is amusing to the point you laugh when you really want to cry.

Sydney wrote @ July 31st, 2007 at 23:37

Yah, after about 10 minutes!

Actually, I loved STAR on the weekends, as I’d never seen friends before – and they had House!

We always said the schedule was a ‘will not start before:’ Sometimes waited up to watch something at 1am which didn’t start until 4 – how can they always, always be behind? Where do they catch up? Where do they fall behind?

Gah!

Syd – STAR channel has some redeemable qualities if you haven’t seen some series — they tend to only be about two years behind the USA (which is considered good).

PIC wrote @ August 1st, 2007 at 08:22

I’ve ascertained that the more important the issue in the news is, the more windows that open up. But, concurrent monologues were never my thing anyway.

Also, I’m not sure if you know but Ugly Betty actually originated in Columbia, so the American version is a knock-off as well. But, hell, at least we made it enjoyable. Our ugly Betty at least is a “real” homely person, and not some Beautiful Greek girl made to look ugly and goofy. Geez, look at those eyebrows on this Ugly Maria (Fake, fake, fake).

PIC – I do know that Ugly Betty is a copy, but at least it’s a good one with a real script and real actors.

Vassili wrote @ August 1st, 2007 at 13:03

Excellent site… has to me my go to site for info!

PS. I am beginning to love the repeats as it comforts me on lonely nights. No matter when, i can turn on the Seagal station to watch Niko above the law again :)

Vassili – LOL!

Παναγιώτης wrote @ August 1st, 2007 at 15:52

Haha! Kat, you are great! I am amazed on how much precisely you describe the greek TV! Keep on going…
XX
Panos

Ela Pano – Why thank you!!! :)

chloe wrote @ August 1st, 2007 at 16:51

my absolute worst are the tv tavernas. i don’t understand what people are doing there, but above all, i don’t understand what viewers find in them. you are watching people having “fun” while you are in your living room, in the middle of the heatwave with a bag of crisps. Despair!

melusina wrote @ August 1st, 2007 at 22:12

My husband is totally entranced by Bob Ross. I keep telling him “that is so 30 years ago” but he can’t help himself. Every time we walk past an art store that is running his painting video non-stop (nice use of electricity there) he has to stop. It is driving me crazy.

I hate, hate, HATE those taverna shows. I’ve bitched about them before. They really irritate me, and they shouldn’t, but I can’t help it.

I find the talking heads kind of amusing though, especially when one is an N.D. and another is PASOK. No one else gets a chance to say anything once PASOK starts talking.

Mel – Is he hypnotized by Bob’s soothing voice and positive affirmations? “There! Oh, isn’t that beautiful. Great job.” My fiance laughed when I read what you wrote about Thanos, getting our own visual of him standing helplessly addicted with stars in his eyes.

I also tell people it’s 30 years ago, I mean look at his hair! It’s no wonder people abroad think some Americans are still hippies.

EllasDevil wrote @ August 2nd, 2007 at 12:29

The only show I used to record was Sto Para Pente on a Monday night as I was never home and you are correct, I’d set the timer to start 20 mins before the scheduled start time and to finish 1 hour after the finish time.

This means if the program starts early, I’ve got it. If the program starts late, I’ve got it. If they suddenly break into the show with ‘BREAKING NEWS’ (that is regular here too ) then I’ve got enough time left to record my program after 20 mins of news.

As for old American shows, I’m currently enjoying the re-runs of Married With Children on Makedonia TV! Vouli also did re-runs of Yes Minister (British show) recently which had me hooked so I’m not complaining.

Ugly Betty is also a knockoff – the original is Betty La Fea from Colombia! One of the channels here also shows ‘La Fea Mas Bella’ (the Mexican knock off… but this one is dubbed into Greek).

As for ‘Stin Ygeia Mas’, I don’t think it’s about being in the tavera. It’s about the live music and the fact they have some good singers on there.

As for good shows being on late at night, channels like Mega and ANT1 have for the past few years dedicated prime time slots to ‘home made’ programming meaning all the imported shows are shown at wierd times.

So… what you’re really saying is that imported shows which are popular in America should take preference over Greek shows. Greek channels should cater for foreign audiences before Greek? Mmmmm… I dunno whether I should be telling Eleftheros Typos about you!!

KAT WANTS GREEK SHOWS BANNED!
KAT WANTS GREEK SHOWS BANNED!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

ED – You’re much more Greek TV savvy than I. Breaking news does happen a lot, and at the most in opportune times…and they just keep running the program, it’s not continued from where it was broken.

Right, I previously acknowledged Ugly Betty is also a copy, but at least it’s a good one.

Stin ugeia mas, yeah it’s still a taverna and some singers any way you look at it. Who wants to watch that? Wouldn’t people rather be there?

And no, I’m not saying that imported shows should take precedence (although Greek, Spanish, French and Italian TV run 24/7 in some countries), I’m just saying a few before 1 a.m. wouldn’t hurt. And anyway, are you saying that Greeks don’t watch these lowly imported programs and wouldn’t appreciate a few sprinkled in primetime?

To be clear, I don’t want Greek TV banned, I just don’t watch it. :)

P.S. According to my site monitor, there are a lot of people watching me so telling on me would probably be redundant. ;) Kisses!

PIC wrote @ August 4th, 2007 at 00:38

Kat,

One point I’d like to make about the TV Tavernas is that there are many Greeks that cannot afford to eat out at nice Music Tavernas and maybe they can live vicariously through others in that TV Taverna.

Plus, some of those female singers/dancers have very well defined low centers of gravity for my viewing pleasure (LoL)

That’s why I say in the post, “If you cannot afford a taverna, one will provided for you at no cost.” Still, it doesn’t need to be a TV program. In the USA, we all can’t afford to dine at a nice French restaurant every night, but it doesn’t mean we want to see a TV program simulating one. Maybe we just work a little harder or save our money a little better until we have enough to actually go.

lenos wrote @ December 27th, 2007 at 15:49

You dont like greek tv and the only show that u are watching is apodixeis????? But of course, it makes sense.u are gathering more evidence about greek problems..Only a good phyciatrist can help this obsession…

Actually, we watch no TV since November. This post was written in July.

I previously watched that show once a month (even though I dislike Evangelatos) because I liked watching ministers squirm and get angry when presented with evidence to disprove their denials of any wrongdoing, not because I was gathering information. It was purely for entertainment purposes.

Btw, your name is ioannis. It’s the same IP address you were using to hassle and call me names on the environmental post. Just can’t stay away from me or this site, can you? Perhaps you should see someone about this obsession. Like I said before, takes one to know one.

The Scorpion wrote @ December 27th, 2007 at 17:47

Other than that, it lacks the true drama, mystery, tech effects, and decent plot lines that many American, Canadian, and British TV shows have.

Come on–Let’s get real. Who is going to compare the dream team of: LOST, 24, Prison Break, Boston Legal against any Greek show.

PLEASE–give me a break. Greeks should stick to Souvlaki and other tasty distractions but leave the serious business like TV to the pros.

yiannos wrote @ December 28th, 2007 at 00:25

“To Lenos or Ioannis: Greek TV is nothing more than glorified Soap Operas with better looking people.”

More than that, it lacks the true drama, mystery, tech effects, and decent plot lines that many American, Canadian, and British TV shows have.

co-sign 100%. Greek t.v is absolute garbage.

P wrote @ February 1st, 2008 at 01:08

I laughed about Greek television having more windows than your home, especially with the visual! Very funny! Definitely true for me.

Natasha wrote @ February 3rd, 2008 at 13:49

I love watching tv when I’m in Greece. Who can resist Spongebob with strange voices in greek!?
and all the strange movies after midnight …
and BOB ROSS! I used to love watching him when I was little ( I was an odd child)

my cousins look at me weird when I get excited that Legends of the Hidden Temple is on
“Damn it Manos! I’ll go to the cafe with you after the blue barracudas make it through the obstacle course!”

only thing that really bothers me in the random breaks in movies late at night for the news…sometimes they’re so long I forget I was watching a movie and ask people why the hell we’re watching american tourists being asked what they think of the price of bottled water in Athens…

I’m sure I’d get very, very bored of Greek tv after a little while just as I’ve become bored of american tv..even with my 5 billion satellite channels…

Pamela wrote @ February 10th, 2008 at 22:21

I roared with laughter at this, because Greek TV sounds so much like Spanish TV, especially the reruns of everything I (deliberately) missed when I was a kid, the good shows being on after midnight and the spontaneous, hour-long commercial breaks.

Though, I will say that I find the latter slightly less irritating than the British style of 2 or 3 ads every five minutes, where you constantly lose the plot, as it were.

In Spain everything is dubbed, but the worst is the similar growth in “discussion” (perhaps better described as “argument”) programs where people “shout without taking a breath instead of letting anyone finish a sentence.”

Likewise, I’ve spent much time where either I haven’t had a TV or it has only been used to screen tapes of something saner. :)

Pamela – Thanks for stopping by! When I lived in Spain, I do recall almost everything being dubbed on TV and in the theater, even if the listing said it would be subtitled. The voices they choose for certain people, such as Sylvester Stallone or Jean Claude Van Damme was the most hilarious part…not even close! Thankfully, I understand Spanish…or wait a minute, maybe that’s a curse. ;)

spyros wrote @ February 11th, 2008 at 13:29

Bob Ross is the man!

Costas wrote @ May 9th, 2008 at 08:18

To all.

I found this site while searching for info on Aussies living in Greece and believe me I am glad I did. Love the way everything is written, the articles, the comments, the smiley faces. You have all made me laugh so much and for that I thank you heaps…

Until later,

Costas

PS: Currenly in Melbourne Australia and soon packing for Greece.

C – You’re welcome and thank you! I’ve checked on you to see if you’ve posted, but nothing so far. Hope you’re OK.

Sebastian wrote @ July 8th, 2008 at 20:18

Oh, I would get so irritated at the way the commercials would simply break off without warning. Is it so difficult to insert that momentary dark screen that helps one brace himself before the onslaught of useless ads pushing things you’ll never buy? As if that wasn’t enough, the commercials last ten minutes or more.

Another thing I noticed was when a trailer would come on for a Greek film – especially if it was a comedy – the trailer would last for nearly five minutes, and it would showcase *every*single*joke* to be seen in the film. They didn’t even attempt to make a trailer that gives a glimpse of some halfway interesting plot. They just gave every “funny” part away. After having seen the trailer, I doubt there was any point to paying to see the film at a theatre.

In Greek television’s defence: when I was a young boy living there, I realized in years to come, that I had seen a fair amount of really good, obscure, cult films on Greek TV. To their credit, they showcased some rather bleak films from underground American filmmakers.

Abel Ferrara’s “Ms .45″ is an example that stands out in my memory. There were others, such as Paul Verhoeven’s “Flesh+Blood” and Hector Babenco’s “Kiss of the Spider Woman.” These films all deal with some very adult issues. I doubt you’d ever see them on HBO or Cinemax here in the States, which would rather give their viewers films with people blowing stuff up or softcore sleaze.

S – Hi there! It’s like you read my mind. We were watching a show yesterday and the main actor was thinking of something, then all of a sudden it’s a screen with fish on it. Eh? No break or nothing, like it was part of a dream sequence. Then you realize, no it’s just improper cuts to commercials. Also a good point about movie trailers. Sometimes the trailers aren’t even interesting enough to lure you. ;)

True, there are some redeemable old movies showing here. Many I’ve seen when I was in the USA, along with GR classics that have their place. If you come back, take comfort in knowing that you can still see those same movies.

Thank you for making a comment here, as well as sharing your experience on the military post. It greatly benefits others. I’m also flattered you find this site helpful and have done your part to spread the word.

Federico wrote @ October 8th, 2008 at 13:34

Hi and good job for this site, it has helped me out many time.

Just a correction about the original ugly betty, its not the american one the original. The original one is the Colombian one, and yes your right there is nothing like the original it was way funnier in spanish with the colombian cast.

Cheers F

F – Thanks for saying hello today. Actually, I did know that (and said so), plus PIC’s comment above yours from last year points out the same thing. I’ve seen it in Spanish, and I agree with you that it’s funnier.

Matt wrote @ October 10th, 2008 at 11:34

As an Australian, I was absolutely horrified to see SKIPPY THE BUSH KANGAROO dubbed in Greek!! I had to SMS everybody back home. Skippy is long gone in Australia so it was a spinout to see that he has a new lease-on-life in Greece.

And what the hell is with showing Getaway (an Australian travel show)? Really, how many Greeks would be interested in wine-sampling and golfing in South Australia’s Barossa Valley? AND they dub that in Greek too! Maybe Australian English is too difficult to understand?

M – Great to have your insight on GR TV also, with respect to Australian shows. I read your comment to my fiance, and he laughed and shook his head. I always feel it’s better to show nothing than show ancient or irrelevant shows, and I wish they’d just subtitle things instead of dub them so more of us can try and enjoy them in their original form…or at least understand them. Although I have to admit that the voices they choose are funny. Ever seen Jamie Oliver speak Greek? It ain’t pretty.

A wrote @ October 13th, 2008 at 20:28

Well, here in the US, the number of windows is directly proportionate to the severity of the crisis: as Jon Stewart explains, we know we are in trouble when they use the Octobox

A – LOL, the octobox. We sometimes have the nine-square version, which looks like the Hollywood squares game show but is a lot less amusing.

Matt wrote @ October 16th, 2008 at 09:36

Kat – hehehe. I just assume that they show Skippy in Greece so it gives the Greeks something to pay out on to their relatives in Australia…lame reason, but I can’t think of any other! I doubt that Greek kids rush home from school, throw down their bag, jump on the couch with a packet of crisps to watch the Adventures of Skippy!

And Jamie Oliver speaking ANY language isn’t pretty. I almost prefer him dubbed in Greek! :)

M – I actually like Jamie Oliver sometimes, but I’m rarely home to see any of these shows.

Annoula wrote @ December 23rd, 2008 at 05:34

I found your blog today and I’ve had a fun two hours looking at all your posts.

I live in the US, and we have some Greek satellite channels…I have to agree with whoever above praised the show “Sthn Ygeia Mas”…It’s about the only show I can watch without getting aggravated! The music is usually among the best Greece has to offer and there’s usually no long-winded pointless arguing!

Have you watched the reality shows like Famestory and now X-Factor? Being a fan of musical competitions and Greek music, I hopelessly watch these shows in an attempt to garner some tiny bits of entertainment, but without success. The production is horrible, shows go on for hours and hours, the contestants sing for about half an hour total, and the rest of the time, the judges argue with each other over the most trivial things, contradict themselves, and then try to show they know something about music. And yet I watch every week just for that 1/2 hour…sigh.

This past summer I had the pleasure of reliving my middle school years by watching 90210, dubbed in Greek! Hilarious.

Annoula — Hello! I do agree that Stin Ygeia Mas has some good music, but my main issue with the format is how sad it is to watch people in a taverna instead of actually being in one. As Chloe said, “Despair!”

I can’t watch Fame Story, X-Factor or anything else without wanting to retch. It’s painfully sad to watch people who think they have talent but don’t…then watch judges who don’t have any talent themselves give critiques. If they got a trap door that dropped contestants or judges off the stage, I would consider watching. :D But yes, it’s sometimes difficult to turn away; it’s a compulsion, much like rubbernecking after a horrific freeway accident.

About 90210, I hear you. My male counterpart sometimes puts it on because that’s how desperate he is for entertainment. To me, it’s like a twisted pageant of what they looked like before hairpieces and bad plastic surgery. ;)

Γιώργος wrote @ January 11th, 2009 at 12:37

Θέλω να πληροφορηθώ μερικά στοιχεία για τον Αμερικάνικο Σταθμό της Βάσης του Ελληνικού. Ήταν ένας σταθμός με μεγάλη ακροαματικότητα και επηρέασε πολύ την μουσική κουλτούρα της εποχής, κυρίως τους νέους. Υπάρχουν κάποιες αναφορές και ονόματα σιο Διαδίκτυο για το 1964 και εντεύθεν έχω όμως την εντύπωση πως ο σταθμός αυτός είχε αρχίσει τις εκπομπές του από πολύ νωρίτερα. Ισως και πριν το 1950. Ποιός θα μπορούσε να με πληροφορήσει σχετικά;

Unfortunately, I don’t have any information regarding your request.

KT wrote @ January 21st, 2009 at 21:48

I am sick of X-factor all those idiots who think they know everything. Why does everyone in Greece want to become famous …we have enough singers and actors..

ntGrits wrote @ January 23rd, 2009 at 00:08

“Don’t Do anything til I return…”

— Last Quote from Alexander the Great upon leaving Greece

(and apparently they followed his words to the limit)

[…] -Έμαθε τι σημαίνει Ελληνική τηλεόραση και γιατί το μέσο δελτίο ειδήσεων έχει περισσότερα παράθυρα από ότι το σπίτι της.  (εδώ) […]

Eric wrote @ March 4th, 2009 at 11:51

Hi Kat, love your site/blog. Wrote a post about it. Cheers.

Readers: Link is listed above as a trackback, and the article is in Greek

MCK wrote @ April 8th, 2009 at 16:53

I am Greek and I rarely watch Greek TV. I am well aware of the trash it serves! Having watched American or British or German TV for years,however, made me realize that nowadays tv programms are crap in every single country in the world! It is undoubtly a bussiness where profit is the only thing that really matters. The only quality Law and Order, CSI and Nip/Tuck have concerns technology and ONLY technology! The sound and picture are obviously better, but those programms and many others like them have no depth and nothing to offer. They amuse us, they put our brains to sleep while time keep running and we can’t catch up. They instill fake dreams into our minds that fills the pockets of the rich and empties the pockets of the poor and our own dreams lay forgotten.

If you put it that way, how is it different from movies, music, stage theater or any form of entertainment? In any case, as I’ve said many times, this post was meant to be humorous and I do not consider TV an important part of my life. However, it’s interesting that a Greek study found that most Greeks watch double the amount of TV in comparison to many countries worldwide. Also, TV has no power over anyone, unless an individual allows himself/herself to be tricked, faked and forgetful.

Emma wrote @ May 7th, 2010 at 04:24

Just found this site and it’s hilarious. I’m a former ex-pat who returned (gratefully) to her home country, Canada, after 3.5yrs of living in Greece. I was there from 1995-99 (the Golden years!). Too bad we never met! I remember those bloody commercials and news breaks. Would forget what I was watching.. Anyways, I used to watch this Greek comedy show called “Amman!” faithfully, run by 4 young guys, probably in their 20s or early 30s at the most. It was a riot! Still remember it. Is it still around?

I have a question for you and those other foreigners you mention who have a hard time of it in Greece with work, etc. My question is this – why are you and they doing this?? I was there, I know. Especially the educated multilingual foreigners who come from 1st world countries like yourself. I’m not disparaging, mind, I just desperately want to understand why put up with less $, and benefits, no stability, security or retirement plans, no $ (or very little of it) saved to show for all these yrs, a paternalistic, sexist and chauvinistic country where anyone over 30 or 35 (men) cannot get work!? Again, I just want to understand and would welcome the opportunity to share my stories…

A.M.A.N. went off the air in 2007, but the guys still have a talk show in the evening and sometimes show clips. A lot of what they parodied back then still applies.

Regarding your second question, we all have our own personal/professional reasons for being where we are and the choices we make. The fact you’re even asking the question indicates there’s no explanation anyone can give you to help you understand why.

Eva wrote @ May 14th, 2010 at 06:44

ok now you really scared me people! I am Greek, I grew up in Greece and we are coming for two years starting this June. I have (actually not me but my very American husband!) two problems:
1. My husband does not drink water, he drinks ONLY Mt. Dew! If he is really thirsty and not Mt. Dew around he gets my diet coke which he calls @#$… As you understand my question is: Are there American supermarkets or somewhere to find it?

2. My husband does not speak a Greek word! he is the typical American guy, sports, Dr. Phil, 24, (should I go on?)… What do we do for his entertainment? Don’t tell me to take him to skyladika, it won’t work!

HELPPPPPPP!!!!

1. You can look at “Taste of America in Greece” and see my response to ‘Mark’ on October 12, 2009; it’s not a common product or cheap. You could have found this by using the ‘search’ function or looking at the ‘Best of’ list of links, which is accessible on every page.

2. The number of TV channels in Greece depends on where you live, the reception in the area and if you purchase a cable package. The most you could get is approximately 60 channels, and this is Greece so there will (of course) be mostly Greek programs sprinkled with imported programs. You can go to Athens Plus (http://www.athensplus.gr) and look at the TV section. Beyond that there are sports bars and pubs, downloading what you want to watch or viewing shows via the Internet, taking into account the time difference. What you do for entertainment depends on what you’re open to experience.

When you used the word ‘scared’ and put ‘help’ in caps followed by exclamation marks, I thought you were joking since I don’t consider soda and TV to be problems. I think the point of being in a foreign country is to be in a foreign country.

Nikos wrote @ June 25th, 2010 at 04:55

Comment 1: karagiozi kapagiozopoulos is my favorite. Re, ise gaithuros;

And I ask you that now. Why would anyone want Greek TV to be anything but? If you don’t like it go buy or rent a movie! There are millions out there just waiting for you!

Comment 2: Katherine, Kalo apogevma

To the contrary, I believe I can learn a lot from you. However, one strong opinion deserves another! It is all in good fun! Watch some Kapagiozis and you will feel better! By the way, do you know the etymology of that word?

Comment 3: So speaking of entertainment..you talk about going clubbing – several times on this website.

Have you written about any of your clubbing adventures on this website? If not, why not? Do you at least like the clubbing scene here? (compared to your other experiences) And where are the clubs?

I combined your three comments in the past 12 hours into one. My responses:

1. Read the last paragraph. It says the TV is turned off unless watching the channels/programs I mentioned or a DVD. Also, calling someone a donkey is probably not the best way to introduce or ingratiate yourself. Why does a biologist have so much time to fixate on a stranger?

2. You’re entitled to your opinion, but what I wrote isn’t an opinion. What I wrote is a humorous spin on facts.

3. As far as I know, I’m not required to share clubbing adventures, or anything on any subject if that’s what I choose. There are plenty of residents and tourists writing about clubbing. Feel free to visit their blogs.