Living in Greece

A practical guide to moving, living, working & traveling in Greece, plus musing and misadventures from an American in Athens

IKA offices in Greece

ika.gifThe following is a list of IKA offices in English, which was taken and translated directly from the Greek version of the website. It claims to be multilingual but in fact only provides limited information.

Be aware that all business is conducted in person and in Greek. There may be staff members who speak English, but there is no guarantee that someone will be produced to assist you and email typically goes unanswered as many state employees do not know how to use a computer.

Locations are alphabetical, and those for Athens categorized by municipality. Use the ‘Find’ function in your Web browser under ‘Edit’ to pinpoint what you need without searching the entire list.

For other articles about Idryma Koinonikon Asfaliseon/Ιδρύματος Κοινωνικών Ασφαλίσεων (IKA), see “IKA.”

*Article last updated January 1, 2014

Hours of operation

An IKA office normally opens at 7:30 and closes by 15:00, but I’ve found that working hours vary by municipality and the area it serves with some opening at 7:00 or 8:00 and closing between noon and 14:30. Staff will often stop waiting on residents at 13:30 to ensure the door is locked on time.

Strikes called by the public sector union (ADEDY) also affect opening hours.

Filing complaints about IKA

Have a complaint about IKA, pertaining to services, delays or errors? The Greek Ombudsman is ready to assist you. See “Greek Ombudsman” to find his address, phone number and email.

Main Office

Ag. Konstantinou 8
102 41
Tel: (210) 5215 000
Medical Personnel: (210) 5215 145

- A -

Iroon Polytechneiou 21 & Pangalou
13 671
Tel: (210) 24.63.513
Fax: (210) 24.02.441

Ag. Ierotheos
Kipoupoleos 30
121 37
Tel: (210) 50.65.495
Fax: (210) 50.60.914

Ag. Paraskevi
Mesogeion 454
153 42
Tel: (210) 63.92.700
Fax: (210) 63.91.104

Ag. Stefanos
Trapezountos 39
14 565
Tel: (210) 62.16.966
Fax: (210) 62.16.172

Ethniki Odos Agriniou – Antirriou 47
30 100
Tel: (26410) 60100
Fax: (26410)  44550

Perikleous 28 & Ioanninon 40
122 44
Tel: (210) 59.08.578
Fax: (210) 59.86.284

N. Plastira 19
25 100
Tel: (26910) 27.543
Fax: (26910) 61.338

D. Vetsopoulou 130
59 300
Tel: (23330) 24.848
Fax: (23330) 24.849

Anat. Thrakis 58
68 100
Tel: (25510) 26.293, 84.610
Fax: (25510) 33.184

P. Kountouristi 2
32 001
Tel: (22680) 24.210
Fax: (22680) 23.938

V. Konstantinou 139
37 100
Tel: (24220) 21.202
Fax:(24220) 21.202

Ippokratous & Ermou
27 200
Tel: (26220) 28.795
Fax: (26220) 38.136

Grig. Lambraki 670
Tel: (210) 40.10.361
Fax: (210) 43.25.359

Episkopou Filotheou 12-14-16
33 100
Tel: (22650) 28.280
Fax: (22650) 22.659

Grig. Nikolaidi 2
53 200
Tel: (23860) 23.878
Fax: (23860) 23.878

Ano Liosia (also seeing insured from Kamatero as of March 21, 2011)
Mich. Voda & Dim. Ypsilanti 12
Tel: (210) 23.88.938
Fax: (210) 24.86.830

Gounari 52
21 200
Tel: (27510) 69.446
Fax: (27510) 68.646

Leof. Bergoti & Antinoros
28 100
Tel: (26710) 27809
Fax: (26710) 24558

No street address given
63 074
Tel: (23720) 21.185
Fax: (23720) 22.344

Karaoli 1
47 100
Tel: (26810) 81701
Fax: (26810) 77.936

No street address given
35 200
Tel: (22330) 89.062
Fax: (22330) 80.344

Athens – Alexandras
Panormou & Karystou 7
11 523
Tel: (210) 69.71.330
Fax: (210) 69.24.610

Athens – Pl. Attikis
Tsouderou 61
104 45
Tel: (210) 83.99.910
Fax: (210) 83.20.216

P. Mela Square
61 400
Tel: (23430) 32.988
Fax: (23430) 32.373

- C -

Kontogianni 8
82 100
Tel: (22710) 44.464
Fax: (22710) 44.464

Crete – Ag. Nikolaos
Epimenidou 12
72 100
Tel: (28410) 22.614
Fax: (28410) 22.228

Crete – Hersonisos
Dimokratias 39
70 014
Tel: (28970) 24.701
Fax: (28970) 23.759

Crete – Kaminia
Maxis Kritis 95
71 303
Tel: (2810)  370.128
Fax: (2810) 25.64.98

Crete – Rethymno
Kondylaki 89
74 100
Tel: (28310) 21.131
Fax: (28310) 55.174

Crete – Sitia
4th September 14
72 300
Tel: (28430) 29.570
Fax: (28430) 29.560

- D -

Vouliagmenis & Ellis 1
17 235
Tel: (210) 97.15.811
Fax: (210) 97.30.208

28th May 10
68 300
Tel: (25530) 24.136
Fax: (25530) 20.273

Αgamemnonos 2
66 100
Tel: (25210) 28.350
Fax: (25210) 22.666

Taxiarchon 128
18 648
Tel: (210) 46.15.711
Fax: (210) 46.12.896

- E -

Florinas 2
58 200
Tel: (23810) 21506
Fax: (23810) 24909

Evia – Istiaia
Kriezotou 12
34 200
Tel: (22260) 52.051
Fax: (22260) 69.313

- F -

Ilektras 4
53 100
Tel: (23850) 23.889
Fax: (23850) 44.626

- G -

Protopapdaki 70
11 147
Tel: (210) 29.22.355
Fax: (210) 29.27.024

End of Tsakmaki
58 100
Tel: (23820) 84.350
Fax: (23820) 82.822

Vas. Georgiou 45Α
16 675
Tel: (210) 89.46.187
Fax: (210) 89.42.693

Κ. Taliadouri 72
51 100
Tel: (24620) 23.758
Fax: (24620) 80.190

- H-

Dodekanisou 22
12 461
Tel: (210) 58.11.533
Fax: (210) 58.10.049

Paraschou 8 & Vas. Georgiou
15 233
Tel: (210) 68.25.698
Fax: (210) 68.00.990

Halkidiki – Polygyros
Strati Myrivili 4
63 100
Tel: (23710) 23737
Fax: (23710) 23758

- I -

Ag. Georgiou 30
72 200
Tel: (28420) 27.182
Fax: (28420) 26.680

El. Venizelou 1
46 100
Tel: (26650) 25.016
Fax: (26650) 27.368

Achaias & Kalavryton
13 121
Tel: (210) 57.71.845
Fax: (210) 57.59.777

Ilion – Ag. Anargyron
Bibiza 18
131 22
Tel: (210) 26.33.396
Fax: (210) 26.33.974

Marinou Antypa & Nafarinou 1
16 346
Tel: (210) 99.78.715
Fax: (210) 99.68.016

- K -

Eth. Antistasis 62
55 133
Tel: (2310) 80.71.00
Fax: (2310) 45.64.35

Th. Oikonomou 3
42 200
Tel: (24320) 22.352
Fax: (24320) 77.013

Skra 45
Tel: (210) 95.46.760
Fax: (210) 95.79.269

Enoria Anastaseos
85 200
Tel: (22430) 28.127
Fax: (22430) 28.127

Kamatero (moved to Ano Liosia on March 20, 2011)
Kadmou & Kileler
13 451
Tel: (210) 23.18.684
Fax: (210) 23.87.100

Melinas Merkouri & Geraniou 6
36 100
Tel: (22370) 89190
Fax: (22370) 24326

Kapetan Kotta 2
52 100
Tel: (24670)  21620
Fax: (24670) 25075

P. Kanellopoulou 1
60 100
Tel: (23510) 45.187
Fax: (23510) 45.161

Keiriadon 4 & Εvrystheos
11 853
Tel: (210) 34.61.547
Fax: (210) 34.51.562

9th Par. Theotoki
49 100
Tel: (26610) 96.800
Fax: (26610) 96.847

Εthn. Αntistasis 51
20 200
Tel: (27420) 21.775
Fax: (27420) 24.929

Gialamidi 1
61 100
Tel: (23410) 77.110
Fax: (23410) 29.877

Kyprou 21Α
20 100
Tel: (27410) 24.980
Fax: (27410) 80.561

Kyprou 62
19 400
Tel: (210) 66.23.208
Fax: (210) 66.26.454

Dimitrakopoulou & Serron 36
18 120
Tel: (210) 49.58.632
Fax: (210) 49.55.143

Platani 85 300
Tel: (22420) 47.310
Fax: (22420) 29.323

No street address given
23 100
Tel: (27540) 22.595
Fax: (27540) 22.595

No street address given
Tel: (22220) 22.229
Fax: (22220) 23.882

Poniropoulou 1
24 500
Tel: (27610) 25.131
Fax: (27610) 25.131

- L -

Loutron 59
57 200
Tel: (23940)  22330
Fax: (23940)  24747

Αerodromiou 76
41 336
Tel: (2410)  581.140
Fax: (2410)  553.342

Fok. Negri 10
19 500
Tel: (22920) 25.234
Fax: (22920) 28.170

Pefaneromenis 2
31 100
Tel: (26450) 22.325
Fax: (26450) 21.542

No street address given
Tel: (22470) 23.110
Fax: (22470) 26.076

Mitropoleos 8
Myrina 814 00
Tel: (22540) 29.762
Fax: (22540) 29.790

Georganta 8a
32 100
Tel: (22610) 25.503
Fax: (22610) 22.984

- M -

No street address given
34 004
Tel: (22270) 22.223
Fax: (22270) 23.460

Hatziantoniou 15
15 124
Tel: (210) 81.29.201
Fax: (210) 61.21.208

Nikitara 63
22 200
Tel: (27910) 22.247
Fax: (27910) 22.472

P. Georgaki 2
19 100
Tel: (22960) 21.537
Fax: (22960) 23.410

D. Sideri 10
30 200
Tel: (26310) 55.910
Fax: (26310) 22.288

No street address given
84 800
Tel: (22870) 28221
Fax: (22870) 23362

Chr. Smyrnis 91
18 345
Tel: (210) 48.13.607
Fax: (210) 48.27.756

- N -

Vyrona 1
30 300
Tel: (26340) 38.470
Fax: (26340) 29.452

25th Martiou 45
21 100
Tel: (27520) 27.203
Fax: (27520) 25.474

Panagouli 6
592 00
Tel: (23320) 22.203
Fax: (23320) 28.633

No street address given
Tel: (22850) 23.996
Fax: (22850) 26.564, 26.398

N. Alikarnassos
Irodotou 122
71 601
Tel: (2810) 246.460
Fax: (2810) 22.25.95

N. Filadelfeia
Mideias 10
103 42
Tel: (210) 25.95.713
Fax: (210) 25.18.501

N. Ionia
Chrys. Smyrnis 3
14 234
Tel: (210) 27.83.700
Fax: (210) 27.83.728

N. Irakleio
Irakleiou 364 & Kountourioti 12Α
14 122
Tel: (210) 28.30.960
Fax: (210) 28.33.960

Ν. Kosmos
Maxis Analatou & Lagoumitzi
11 744
Tel: (210) 90.03.910
Fax: (210) 90.17.288, 90.23.866

N. Moudania
G. Papandreou 17
63 200
Tel: (23730) 66.000
Fax: (23730) 21.288

Antigonis 7 & Kafkasou 37
184 54
Tel: (210) 56.10.327
Fax: (210) 56.15.499

- O -

25th Martiou
32 011
Tel: (22620) 32.640
Fax: (22620) 31.357

Kapodistriou 33
104 32
Tel: (210) 52.78.900
Fax: (210) 52.00.525

Κonstantinopoleos 84
68 200
Tel: (25520) 21310
Fax: (25520) 21318

- P -

P. Faliro
Achilleos 97
17 563
Tel: (210) 98.83.007
Fax: (210) 98.82.997

Spyrou Merkouri 38
11 634
Tel: (210) 72.24.360
Fax: (210) 72.25.157

Paralia Distomou
Riga Feraiou 14
32 003
Tel: (22670) 41.321
Fax: (22670) 42.157

Patision & Ippolytou 1
11 255
Tel: (210) 21.29.200
Fax: (210) 22.36.159

Patra – Ag. Alexios
Ioanninon 14
262 23
Tel: (2610) 46.62.73
Fax: (2610)  43.08.90

Mykinon & Papanastasiou
26 331
Tel: (2610) 36.87.31
Fax: (2610)  34.67.32

Iperiou 69
18 863
Tel: (210) 44.17.250
Fax: (210) 44.13.118

Agrafiotou 2
121 31
Tel: (210) 57.05.557
Fax: (210) 57.68.255

Piraeus – Ag. Sofias
Mavromichali – Mesologgiou 4
185 45
Tel: (210) 41.70.991
Fax: (210) 41.73.131

Thivon 49
185 42
Tel: (210) 42.05.224
Fax: (210) 42.04.847

Sekevkeias 9
48 100
Tel: (26820) 47114-15
Fax: (26820) 22.221

Nosokomeiou 11
50 200
Tel: (24630) 55900
Fax: (24630) 54051

Mystra 7
27 100
Tel: (26210) 83900
Fax: (26210)  20303

- R -

Fleming Street
19 009
Tel: (22940) 79.650
Fax: (22940) 78.611

- S -

Salaminas & Aianteiou
18 900
Tel: (210) 46.51.223
Fax: (210) 46.53.178

Samos — Set to close in 2012
83 100
Tel: (22730) 89.870
Fax: (22730) 87.603

Prin. Christoforou 25
62 110
Tel: (23210) 95925
Fax: (23210) 22812

No street address given
50 300
Tel: (24650) 23.393
Fax: (24650) 23.393

Kosti Palama 1
62 300
Tel: (23230) 23.920
Fax: (23230) 28.324

M. Papanastasiou 9
68 400
Tel: (25540) 20.210
Fax: (25540) 24.164

Gartsologou 137
23 100
Tel: (27310) 26.530
Fax: (27310) 89358

Ag. Dimitriou 4
19 004
Tel: (210) 66.34.574
Fax: (210) 66.34.221

No address given
63 082
Tel: (23760) 22.006
Fax: (23760) 22.770

Lamias 59
35 300
Tel: (22380) 23.229
Fax: (22380) 24.128

Akadimias 21
106 71
Tel: (210) 36.76.503
Fax: (210) 36.34.026

Nikiforou Mandilara 1
Ermoupoli 84 100
Tel: (22810) 82.340
Fax: (22810) 84.065

- T -

Τ. Oikonomidi 1 & Kasomouli
54 655
Tel: (2310) 41.43.10
Fax: (2310) 42.22.50

Karaoli Dimitriou 12
Efosmos 56 224
Tel: (2310)  777.300
Fax: (2310)  70.87.74

Vas. Georgiou 27
57 008
Tel: (2310)  78.08.55
Fax: (2310)  78.24.04

Thessaloniki – Pylis Axiou
Polytechniou 1
54 626
Tel: (2310)  52.25.60
Fax: (2310)  55.39.43

Thessaloniki – Neapoli
Kon. Karamanli 25
56 727
Tel: (2310)  564.600
Fax: (2310)  510.290

Thessaloniki – Toubas
Gr. Lambraki 100
54 351
Tel: (2310)  98.18.01
Fax: (2310)  90.18.39

Kadmou 47
32 200
Tel: (22620) 89.386
Fax: (22620) 89.384

Omirou 13
42 100
Tel: (24310) 46.501, 46.561
Fax: (24310) 27.454

- V -

Emm. Pappa 22
59 100
Tel: (23310) 23.180
Fax: (23310) 63.420

L. Eirinis 113
384 46 Nea Ionia
Tel: (24210) 90.281
Fax: (24210) 90.284

N. Elvetias 26
16 232
Tel: (210) 76.56.974
Fax: (210) 76.62.656

- Z -

Foskolou 83
29 100
Tel: (26950) 22.267
Fax: (26950) 42.892 & 24.693

L. Papagou 127a
157 73
Tel: (210) 74.58.700
Fax: (210) 77.80.580
blog counter

Logo from the IKA website

Updates pending


  PIC wrote @ July 25th, 2007 at 13:50

Hi again,

I was thinking of starting a business. do you know what percentage IKA or Teve takes from your income?

Kat Reply:

You can see the article I posted last week about TEBE/TEVE, now called OAEE; it’s not a percentage, it’s a set schedule of graduated payments based on how many years you pay.

IKA is approximately 30 percent of your overall salary. So, as I understand it — if a boss offers you 840 gross (not net in your hand), he’s also paying 360 to IKA, so your overall salary is 1200. That’s how it shows on my IKA papers (ensima).

If you start a business as a non-EU citizen without a Greek citizen partner, you’ll need 60,000 euros deposit in a bank to prove solvency and a business plan drawn up in Greek showing how your enterprise will contribute positively to the Greek economy, which must then be approved by the authorities before you’re allowed to open.

  PIC wrote @ July 25th, 2007 at 22:13

well, my brother owns a web business and I’m thinking I’ll just assist him in fixing his websites. He would pay me on a US IRS 1099-MISC tax form, directly deposited into my US bank account. How would I do this with Teve and would the 60K deposit apply since really it’s not a greek business but I’m still technically self employed and live in greece (weird huh) and would i even need to get a business license in greece?

Kat Reply:

Being as I didn’t have the specifics of your situation, it was impossible to understand if the business you were thinking of starting was in the U.S. or Greece AND you didn’t say you were going to be an employee and/or have employees. Also, it’s unnecessary to deal with Greece at all since it sounds like you’ll be an American employee, can have insurance coverage through the U.S. and file your taxes in the U.S. I assume you already have a spouse residence/work permit.

Getting a business license is a different procedure than getting TEVE/OAEE or IKA, starting a business or declaring independent worker status. There is also different legislation in place depending on if you are thinking of setting up a branch or an offshore company.

From the little information I know, it sounds to me like you’d be an American employee. Being self-employed and providing services is not the same as starting a business (which is what you originally said). In Greece, you would be categorized as an independent worker, which you can start up at the eforia. It’s not a weird situation; many people do it (I did for 3 years, just not with an American company, therefore I cannot advise you on logistics). It would be best to consult with the eforia directly or a trusted knowledgeable accountant, which is what I do.

  Jim wrote @ February 15th, 2009 at 13:26

My Father who deals with the branch in kalymnos is having issues he cannot resolve. He believes the attendant (who has a superior title, assistant manager) is not doing her job fairly and so my father is seeking legal advice.

If there is perhaps instances of corruption where can someone seek justice within IKA? Without complicating the situation by involving 3rd parties. The Greek embassy requires documentation but will also take much time.

Please if you have any information it will be much appreciated.

P.S At least I’ll know if anyone reads these comments and if they recieve a reply.

Kat Reply:

Hi Jim,

The Greek Ombudsman handles complaints about IKA in Greek and in English. You can read the article I posted on this website called “Greek Ombudsman: Filing a complaint about Greece in Greece.” There is an address, toll-free phone number and website address provided for your convenience.

Best of everything to you and your father.

  Sofia wrote @ August 19th, 2009 at 19:46

I have lived in Crete since 8 years. With my greek boyfriend we decided to have a baby. But i don’t trust the public hospitals here. So i would prefer to go in a private clinic. And i was wondering if IKA covers a part of the expenses or not?

Kat Reply:

I’m a little surprised your Greek boyfriend or his parents don’t know the answer to this question and/or couldn’t call to inquire. In any case, I’d like to amend my answer after consultation with a trusted source.

Assuming you are covered by IKA, it will pay for exams/procedures at private hospitals only if IKA specifically sent you to a private hospital because the IKA system could not provide the service you needed. And even then, IKA may pay a very limited amount for a limited number of situations after contacting the hospital/doctor to verify they have an agreement with IKA, what it is and what bureaucracy is involved. None of this applies to your case because there are public hospitals on Crete that handle childbirth.

If you voluntarily choose a private doctor, hospital or clinic in Greece, nothing is covered by IKA and you pay all the expenses.

  trevor wrote @ November 18th, 2010 at 08:09

Hello I am working for a british company called ____ here in Athens. We have not been payed this month and now looks like we will not get payed. How do i find out if my employer has payed my IKA? Many of the staff say he has not payed their’s.

Also can you tell me what are our rights as employees as we have not been payed? should we continue to go to work?

the other thing is, if we have been employed on a work scam from oaed what should we be payed? I was told my salary would be 750 however I only get 600? why is this?

kind regards


Kat Reply:

Hi Trevor,

Sorry to hear you’re having problems with your employer, which I didn’t name for reasons of privacy and protection. The good news is I can offer you a solution. But first things first.

How do you know if the employer paid your IKA? You, and any of your co-workers, need to go to an IKA office and ask. Sometimes they ask that you go to the IKA location where you registered; sometimes you can visit any IKA office, i.e., one near work. See “IKA offices in Greece” if you need help in English.

Take your IKA AMA number (they may ask to see the original paper when you first registered called the “Bebaiosi Apografis Amesa Asfalismenou”) and AMKA number, your passport or national ID card. Ask for a printout called “Logarismos Asfalismenou.” The Logarismos Asfalismenou shows all IKA payments that have been made up until the date you inquire. If he did not pay your IKA, they will refer you to someone who can help you file a claim. For this you need to have your work contact, “Anaggelia Gnostopoiisis Oron Atomikis Symbasis Ergasias,” as proof you are working there, your start date and the rate of pay. If you are not comfortable conducting business in Greek, I recommend you take someone who is.

I cannot advise on whether it’s wise to keep working. If you continue working there, I understand that you may not get paid. However, if you stop showing up for work, you may be labeled irresponsible, giving the employer reason to terminate you without compensation and to file a counterclaim against you when you try to recover IKA payments and back pay.

There’s no way for me to know why 750 became 600 without questioning your employer or looking at the contract you signed. Your rate of pay should be stated on your work contract, and any questions about net or gross should have been clarified before you signed it. As explained in “Examples of jobs and salaries in Athens, Greece,” an employer will sometimes quote gross and not net as a way to fool prospective employees into thinking they will be paid more. You could have also questioned him the first time you were paid and requested an explanation, then decided whether to continue working there or have your employer draw up a new contract and refile it with IKA.

You and your co-workers can all file a claim against your employer to force his hand in paying what he owes. The first thing they ask you before filing a claim is if you have directly confronted your boss, so you need to do this. I realize it’s uncomfortable, but you need to do it in a calm, factual manner with courage and without losing your temper. If this doesn’t work, come back to me and I’ll create a new article detailing the procedure you and your co-workers need to follow to file a labor claim. I’ve been meaning to do it, anyway.

All best, K

  Novica wrote @ December 14th, 2010 at 15:50

I would like to know how much ensima i have to have that i have a right to aIplay for pension(sintaksi).I have 1800 ensima and my wife too.we are Serbian and we have work permit since 01.01 1998.I am 62 years old and my wife 64 year old!What we could do with this ensima we have and do we have any chance to ask for pension!i am very thankfull if you provide that kind information!
thanks you once again!Novica.

Kat Reply:

Unfortunately, giving your age and the number of ensima you have are not enough for me to help you.

There have been lots of changes to laws regarding Greek pensions, I do not know Serbian pension laws, and you did not provide information on work years outside Greece. Therefore, you must get in contact with the office in Serbia that handles pensions and find out how Greece and Serbia cooperate on calculating payments, which may also require you to visit an IKA office nearest your residence (addresses provided above).

Thank you for your question and visiting

  Faisal wrote @ October 18th, 2011 at 15:42

well one of my relatives were working in greece and he died over there.. his legal heirs living in pakistan have found some documents regarding his pension and insurance and they want to claim for his insurance and pension, please assist us in this regard or you can give any phone number who can understand english and guide us in this situation.

Kat Reply:

You must determine if you are eligible to receive a dead relative’s pension. It is not automatic. As I say in the article, all business in Greece is conducted in Greek but you are free to find someone who speaks English.

I am not a lawyer and I do not represent the Greek government; I am a journalist providing this information in my unpaid free time. You can hire a translator and legal representative to assist you, then make contact with an IKA office above using the list of phone numbers and addresses I provide.

Good luck.

  spyros wrote @ December 4th, 2011 at 21:18

I have been trying to phone the IKA office which deals with pensions (pensions paid abroad) located in 43 Agisilaou, Central Athens, contact name Olga K_____, phone no +30210-5279836. as i have not received my pension payment for November yet. The number either rings engaged or does not ring at all.

I have submitted certification that I am alive as required in March and October of this year so really need to make contact urgently with this person to ascertain why I have not been paid.

I wonder if you can check if the phone no is still valid and/or if there is a new number

Kat Reply:

The IKA office is at 48 Agisilaou, and the number you’re calling belongs to a department handling pension payments pertaining to disability and death, but may have been changed or temporarily disconnected because of reorganization.

Try their Main number: +30 (210) 52.79.962, Fax (210) 52.79.978, Email:

It’s worth mentioning that IKA is bankrupt and seeking a loan of 3 billion euros. Consider giving back to the website or sponsoring a turtle in exchange for the 20 minutes of research and four phone calls I made. All best.

  Atreyi wrote @ December 8th, 2011 at 03:02

Comment 1
Please help; My uncle, 89 years old was living in Athens and still have the home in Athens but he is now in Romania into a Senior Home.

His penssion was blocked after 21 Sep 2011 and he cant travel to Greece to go to the Bank to give his signture. We receive the Bank statement and it was required to present to the Bank in Oct. 2011.

There is a possibility to send a legal document to prove he is still alive but in incapacity to travel to Ika ??? And if possible please direst me where we should send the document.
thanks a lot.

Comment 2
Thnaks was very helpfull I called and they would need a Life Certificate. Season Greetings !!!!

Kat Reply:

Because of fraud and abuse by relatives claiming pensions of the deceased, Greece now requires some type of live evidence from your uncle, not just a document or signed statement. He/you can use the information I provide above to call IKA on the phone and inquire on alternatives.

  Susan wrote @ March 20th, 2012 at 09:17


I’m a swedish citizen and lives in Sweden. My father, who is a greek citizen and lives in Rhodos – Greece, is in a very troubled situation. My father and his wife came here to Sweden to visit me and my family. He felt sick though, and went to the hospital. It turned out that he has cancer, multiple myeloma to be exact. He is now getting treatment here, chemotherapy.

He now wonders if Greece got the samt treatment with chemotherapy? And if they do, is it possible to get treatment in Rhodos where he lives?

He also wonders if the social security will help to pay for his treatment here in Sweden?

There are so many questions he needs answers to. He is afraid to go back home in case they don’t give him treatment. But he can’t stay here forever. He could, though, come here occasionaly to get the treatment, but then he needs to know if the social security in Greece helps to pay for his treatment here?

Kat Reply:

Greece, in general, is behind Sweden in cancer treatment therapies, though I’m sure there is something available. There’s no way I can know what they offer in Rhodes, as I have not lived or worked there since 1998. He should call hospitals there and inquire. Many people are airlifted to Athens when island hospitals are insufficient.

Cross-border coverage depends on many things — the insurance company, an agreement between Greece and Sweden, etc. As I understand, your father should be carrying an EHIC card and the Greek insurance company must be contacted BEFORE admittance to a hospital in Sweden to see which hospitals, doctors, expenses and treatments are covered.

There are a lot of insurance companies and you didn’t mention which one it is, so you, your father or his wife needs to find out and call them.

  Toula wrote @ March 20th, 2012 at 10:43

i am a british passport holder working in Greece for the past 5 years. if i wish to leave and return to the UK can i claim my (ensima) from ika ??

thank you.

Kat Reply:

You can go to IKA or contact them and ask for a printout of your ensima, which they can print on demand and certify. Also call the UK and see if they require anything else to recognize them or a translation, which you can get at “Official translations to Greek.”

  Bulent wrote @ February 13th, 2013 at 10:37


I am a Turkish Citizen who worked in Electric Company (DEI) in Greece in 1985 for two months.
To submit to the Social Security Office in Turkey I need a document showing that I have worked in Greece in 1985 . Would it be possible to get this document and if yes what is the method of acquiring this document.


Kat Reply:

You didn’t provide enough info, but I answered this question already. Look at the question/answer above you.

If IKA wasn’t your social insurance carrier, you need to contact whoever was.

  Tiffany wrote @ April 5th, 2013 at 22:01

My mother has been trying to collect my dad’s pension since his death of 2007. We were able to get all the info. they needed to prove she was his widow, which took at least 6 months to get it straightened out. Things were going well for the most part, until they stopped for a few months and deducted and x amount of money this year due to the kaos that’s been happening over there. Now we found out that she still needs to prove that she is alive after filing all the right paperwork and getting it notarized and sealed by the Greek church and state of Mass. back in Nov. 2012. Do you have any idea what the new paperwork is, or where or whom I can speak to about this situation? This situation has become very stressful for my 76yr. old mother, along with many others I’m sure. Regards

Kat Reply:

You didn’t provide enough information for me to give an answer specific to your mother’s situation, so all I can do is offer my best guess.

Greece’s social insurance funds began requiring all pensioners participate in a regular census to continue collecting payments due to thousands of families committing fraud and illegally collecting a dead relative’s pension. The census is not new; it’s been mandatory since 2011.

The people I know collecting a pension all live in Greece, so their experience isn’t relevant to your mother’s. However, if you look at commentator ‘Atreyi’ from December 8, 2011, I advised him to make direct contact with the insurance fund (IKA, OAEE, etc.) and they told him what was needed. That’s my advice to you, as well. Payments will resume, and retroactive compensation released.

P.S. Here in Greece, we don’t call it ‘chaos.’ This is typical, everyday life.

  gedine wrote @ April 10th, 2013 at 13:26

hello! i lost my job here in greece for about six months and i have not payed paid for 5 months to my IKa insurance taxes. my question is can i pay my taxes personally when i got my new job to continue my insurance?

Kat Reply:

IKA is social insurance, not taxes, so I have no idea what you’re asking or how to help you as you gave too little information for anyone to help you. Please visit an IKA office (listed above) to get advice.

  Cynthia wrote @ April 14th, 2013 at 19:27

Your questions were moved to, “Residence/work permits for non-EU citizens in Greece.”

  Apostolidis wrote @ June 11th, 2013 at 06:50

Hi, we live abroad in Canada and are filling out the electronic form to update my IKA information. It is asking for a AMKA number. I don’t have an AMKA number and never did, I just have an AMA number. Can I update my info without the AMKA number. Is this a required field on the form. What do I do if I don’t have an AMKA number. I am 70 and haven’t worked in Greece since the 60s. Thank you

Kat Reply:

Anyone collecting a Greek pension and/or dependents are also required to have AMKAs as of January 1, 2010, not just employees and workers. See “AMKA: Greek social security number.”

  carochan wrote @ June 13th, 2013 at 20:12

I have a small business and am thinking of hiring a staff,
my accountant said he is doing the paperwork for him to register for IKA, if there is a check, do i get a fine the first time they check or does IKA allow time for the paperwork?

Kat Reply:

I completed my IKA paperwork in a few hours without anyone’s help, so I’m not sure why there would be lag time, the possibility of checks and fines, or leniency shown by police or IKA.

  Apostolidis wrote @ June 27th, 2013 at 18:22

Hi, I completed form to update my IKA information and when I check the status is says, “my data could not be validated as input”. Well, that is great, thanks for telling me that but what do I need to correct? What discrepancy is there so I can make sure I correct it when I complete the form. There is no mention of why it cant be validated or any means of communicating with IKA. How can I communicate with an individual at IKA to ensure they have all the information they require so I can get my pension reinstated. I had input all the required numbers correctly including the AMKA which I recently acquired. The online update application number is (deleted to protect privacy). Also my wifes application was not successfully updated according to IKA (deleted to protect privacy). If I can not get a resolution within IKA, I will be contacting the Greek Obudsman again to resolve this as they have in the past, It is a shame that you are putting pensioners through this as I had recently mailed in all my updated info and then IKA requests another online form to be completed without a reason. There are people in Canada receiving a Greek Pension without an AMKA and without having to go through this process, why are you putting us through this painful process. What to delay our Pensions?????

Additionally, when we call the IKA offices from Canada, no one is Greece ever picks up the phone. So please provide me with an individual email address so I can communicate with someone, not just the general email, because I have emailed the general email, and guess what, NO one emailed me back.

Kat Reply:

“You?” I’m a non-EU citizen helping people to solve problems in my unpaid spare time. I don’t represent Greece, and I’m not a lawyer or state worker. I’m not putting anyone through anything, and I’m not obliged to tolerate ingratitude or listen to complaints. That’s the job of state workers, which my taxes pay for. My IKA contributions also fund your pension.

They suspended pension payments as a way to get everyone to comply with requirements, since asking people nicely to update their AMKAs and AFMs got little to no response. It worked.

What you’re encountering is what I and everyone experience every day for everything, 24/7, except on a much smaller scale. I also get a dose of racism and discrimination being a woman and non-Greek.

IKA offices place priority of helping people in person and stop serving the public at 14:00 local time (5:00 a.m. your time) or earlier. If you call anytime after that, of course no one will pick up. Email is also an advanced concept in Greece, with the majority of state workers unable to use a computer.

  Helen wrote @ June 27th, 2013 at 19:24

Did you get through to someone in Greece at IKA. We have been trying to call for months and no response. They cut off pension for 4 months now. We got the AMKA # faxed and mailed in, but cannot get through to anyone for confirmation. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks

Kat Reply:

IKA offices place priority on helping people in person. They also stop serving the public at around 14:00 local time, which is 5:00 EST, so of course no one will pick up the phone if you call anytime after that.

  John wrote @ July 1st, 2013 at 18:05

IKA is requesting AMKAs now in an attempt to deter pensioners from obtaining their pensions. And if you do get your AMKA, they just ignore you.

Kat Reply:

What you’re saying isn’t true.

This is a measure to prevent fraud since thousands of Greek families were collecting dead relatives’ pensions, and having an AMKA has been a mandatory requirement since January 1, 2010. See “AMKA: Greek social security number.” The difference is they’re enforcing it now.

They suspended pension payments to force everyone to comply, since asking people nicely to update their AMKAs and AFMs by April 2013 (extended to June) got little to no response.

Being ignored is a 24/7 norm at the majority of public sector offices for pretty much everything. Nothing new.

  Hans wrote @ July 11th, 2013 at 15:31

Comment 1:
Hope you can help as Greek instances are very vague. My Greek wife (born Alexandria, Egypt) worked in Athens from 1957 until 1972 (then married in the Netherlands) and from 2006 she received a small IKA pension. In April 2013 this suddenly stopped. From searching the internet we learned that she needs AMKA and AFM. We don’t have the money to go to Greece to get these numbers and have no family and close friends in Greece. How do we find a reasonably priced and trustful lawyer? We normally spend our holidays in Chania, Crete; do we have to find a lawyer in Athens or can we look for one in Chania?
If I can sell some art work, perhaps we could go to Greece for a week or so. Can my wife get AMKA and AFM in Chania and go with these two numbers to an IKA branch in Chania to re-start her pension? What papers must she bring from the Netherlands?
We are desperate and hope that you have the answers! Thank you so much.
Hans and Florentia

Comment 2:
My Greek wife (born Alexandria, Egypt) worked in Athens from 1957 until 1972 when we got married in the Netherlands. From 2006 she received a small pension that suddenly stopped in April this year. From searching the internet we learned that she needs AMKA and AFM to continue her pension. Must we go to Athens to get these numbers or can we get them in Chania where we normally go for holidays? How can we find an affordable lawyer from here (Netherlands) to represent her as authorized person?
Thank you in advance,
Hans and Florentia

Comment 3:
Sorry for posting twice. I checked to see if I had a reply and didn’t find my message,so I concluded that I had done something wrong the first time. Me syngoreite.

Comment 4:
Thank you very much, you have been a great help. IKA does have our correct address but did’t send a letter to inform us. We have tried hundreds of Greek telephone-numbers that we collected from the internet from IKA, AMKA and tax-sides but the majority of these numbers don’t work. The few numbers that do work were giving little or obscure answers (“No English sorry” or “just come to IKA Agisilao 48 Athens and we solve this problem”). I have sent dozens of e-mails and several faxes but NOBODY replied.

The AMKA information that you gave, is very helpful. However, can you tell me what papers we need to get the AFM? Are the papers and procedures for AMKA and AFM the same, only different offices?

With this AFM there is a big problem: the person that will be authorized by my wife, must declare that he/she is also a surety (guarantor) who vouches for her, meaning that he/she will have to pay her fines, her tax arrears and fiscal fraud!!!!!! We don’t have fines to pay and we don’t intend to commit fraud, but guarantor …..?
Thank you very much!!!

Kat Reply:

Answer 1:
I received both of your near-identical comments/questions left in the past 4 days. Please be aware, as disclosed in widget ‘Have a question’ under name days and weather, I work 9-9 every day including weekends and run this website in my unpaid spare time. If you cannot wait for an answer, feel free to inquire directly with Greek authorities.

Answer 2 & 3:
No problem. I moved your question/comment since this post is more relevant. It’s after midnight and I’m tired, but I won’t let another day go by so you can start resolving your wife’s issue.

IKA sent letters to all pensioners with missing AFMs and AMKAs, requesting they provide the information by April (extended to June) or else payments would stop. Therefore, you should have been informed. If you didn’t get these letters, perhaps your address on file with IKA is incorrect or outdated.

AMKAs have been mandatory since January 1, 2010. You can read, “AMKA: Greek social security number” to learn how to get one and what papers are necessary.

AFMs have been necessary for pretty much everything for decades. A tax office (eforia) can help her with this.

I’m not sure why you’re inquiring about a lawyer in Athens, while the rest of your comment refers to Chania. There are lawyers in Chania as well. I’ve never used a lawyer for anything except suing someone; I’ve done all bureaucracy myself, so I can only assume you ask around for a recommendation, interview a few by phone, and choose one. Common sense.

Before finding a lawyer, I recommend calling the tax office and IKA office directly to inquire what could be done via mail, fax or another method. Other people (above) who had missing AFMs and AMKAs were able to resolve their issues and restart pensions without coming to Greece — however, the exact conditions or circumstances are unknown because no details were given, and therefore no one can learn from their experience.

Answer 4:
As I already said to previous commentators, and in the post above, priority is given to people who appear in person and email is an advanced concept to most state employees, which is why they go unanswered.

An AFM is a tax number, which is not the same as an AMKA social security number in Greece. Therefore, the processes and bureaucracy are different.

My article, “How to get an AFM: Greek tax number” is password protected and removed from public view because it’d been plagiarized by several so-called expert/expat websites. You must show proof of residence near the tax office in which you intend to register and conduct transactions.

Most people bring their landlord or a Greek friend. Never heard people use the word ‘guarantor’ before.

  sandy wrote @ August 14th, 2013 at 05:15

Hi,I’m from Philippines and I have greek husband who died accidentally last month. We have one daughter who just turned 1 yr old only 3 days before the incident. He has first wife who is also greek and they had one daughter who is now 19 years old. Their divorce has been filed and waiting only 2 years more to finalized the divorce.

Now that he died during the divorce process, does my daughter has rights to claim from her father’s insurance if ever that my daughter has not yet been put as beneficiary of his father? Everybody in greece knows that we are now his current family.


Kat Reply:

Hello, I’m still working 9-9 every day, but I wanted to respond before more time passes.

I’ve never encountered a case like yours before, so I have no first-hand experience in what happens when someone dies while a divorce is in progress.

This is what I know. What matters is:
a) if the ex-wife and her daughter make it difficult for you and your daughter;
b) what you can prove on paper, not what people say, especially when you’re non-Greek and non-white foreigner.
— Did he ever register your daughter in his oikogeneiaki merida (mayor’s office where his family papers are kept)?
— Do you have a birth certificate saying that he is the father to your daughter?
— Did he ever go to the insurance company and add your daughter to his health booklet and get her one?
I refer to your daughter because this is his blood, and this is an important factor. You and your “husband” were never legally married, so in the eyes of Greek law you have no real rights.

Try doing as much as you can yourself or with a Greek friend. Be careful about employing a lawyer. Many take advantage of foreigners and charge higher fees without actual knowledge or results, especially those in a tough situation.

  Gogo wrote @ August 16th, 2013 at 18:29

I m Greek and live in Germany. Because an accident I m now a Disabled pensioner with 75%
I take a pension amount from Germany, but a small amount from Greece as well. From IKA/ETAM because, I was working in Greece before, about for 15 years long.
My problem now…
Today I called my bank in Greece to ask about the total amount of my account, than I fount out that IKA has not put any money on my account since May 2013. I tried about 4 hours long to call IKA but without access. In the meantime I was looking on the Internet to find out any actual of IKA and…??? I found one.
I called and a unkindly young man told me, I don’t take any payments more, “because you(me) don’t have any AMKA number”. I didn’t and don’t know what the f… an AMKA number is, he couldn’t explain to me what an AMKA Nr. is, neither.
I used the Internet to find out what an AMKA Nr. is.
So far is Ok, but now!…
How can I have a f…. AMKA Nr. if I live in Germany? I have to be there (in Greece) to make a registration for an AMKA Nr., but no one from Greece (and I mean, Eforia, IKA or any Municipality , told me on telephone before or they sent me a letter that everybody in Greece must have this number now and this exists since 2009!!!

What can I do now? Can u please help me?
I’m on roll chair. Could I take such a number from a Greek consulate in Germany?

Thank u and regards from Cologne.

Kat Reply:

I’ve answered these questions previously. Please look at responses to Hans, John, Helen, Apostolidis, Jim and Tiffany. Beyond the advice dispensed and article above, I cannot help as I’m not a lawyer or an employee of the Greek state, though my taxes pay for the latter to assist you. This website is provided as a free service in my unpaid spare time.

  ioannis wrote @ December 2nd, 2013 at 09:28


Kat Reply:

Eimai Amerikanida, oxi IKA. Do not give sensitive and private information to anyone over the Internet.

  Anna wrote @ December 18th, 2013 at 19:02

Your comment/question was transferred to, “Unemployment benefits in Greece.”

  Haralambos wrote @ January 23rd, 2014 at 22:15

Where can I get a print out or a record of some sort of all the jobs or factors that entitle my father, who lives here in the USA/ New York, to a Pension, Currently, he is receiving a Pension for Construction related work that he did while he lived in Greece prior to immigrating to the USA

We were told that he is also entitled to Army related Pension as well as Pension for other jobs he did but he has no records for all that. I am sure that these records are recorded and maintained under his ID numbers, AFM/AMKA etc

How do we approach this subject matter and to whom do we present it to

My father is entitled to all of that plus Interest and he needs this income right now

Thank you for all of the helpful information that you post on this web site

Please provide email contact for all responses

Thank you very much in advance

Kat Reply:

You need to call the IKA or Army Pension Fund offices directly.

I am a private American citizen running this website in my unpaid free time. I do not provide free consultation via email, I don’t work for the Greek government, and my taxes pay for them to assist you.

  Evanthia wrote @ January 24th, 2014 at 18:54

I am writing on behalf of my neighbour who does not have a computer nor internet access. Evanthia has been receiving her pension regularly but not anymore. Her file number is 0373574-2-65 and she is not able to find where to look into this problem. If you could help to direct her enquiry to the proper authority, I would pass the information to her. She lives in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Any advice and directions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kat Reply:

Please see answers I gave above to readers and commentators with a similar problem, why it happened and what I recommend. I cannot forward her inquiry, as the pension fund will require her to verify confidential information (not just a file number).

I am a private U.S. citizen running this website in my unpaid free time, and my taxes pay for Greek authorities to help her. All best.

  Ioannis wrote @ February 1st, 2014 at 15:07

I would first like to thank you for this informative site and for your time.
My wife and I are Greek/Canadians living in Canada and in receipt of IKA pension for many years. It has been over a year since we have received any payment from IKA. We have sent all necessary documents required and as recently as 2 days ago managed to speak to an employee who was willing to help but provided me with an invalid email. The email I was given was I have been trying unsuccessfully to reach someone. My question to you is how do I find a valid email or should I continue to call in the hopes that someone will answer?
Any information would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Kat Reply:

That can’t possibly be a valid email address as doesn’t exist. Nearly all offices are connected to or Even if we could find a current/working email address, official communication via email is an advanced concept here. Many still use fax machines.

It’s my opinion that you need to call between 7:30-13:30 local time in Greece, which is 6-10 hours ahead of Canada, depending on the city.

  Lisa wrote @ February 10th, 2014 at 10:07


I was told that I can be covered by IKA, if I only work 50 days in a full year as an emplyee.
Is this information correct?

Where can I read more about this law?

Thank you for your help,


Kat Reply:

Actually, there are far more requirements, but 50 ensima (50 days a year) earned through work as an employee is the minimum. Details can be found at, “How to sign up for IKA,” now password protected because of plagiarism.

As far as I know, the law is not online, which is one of many reasons I started this website. If you read Greek, you can browse the IKA website. You may also inquire directly at the nearest IKA office or KEP.

  Marie wrote @ February 17th, 2014 at 13:23


Thanks for your kindness and help. I am an abroad pensioner (tou exoterikou). In nov.2013, I was in Greece and handed over to Ika all the documents they needed. They told me that my pension will start again in January with all payback. Nothing has been deposited in my account.

Is it possible to know if there is any delay for payment to pensioner’s abroad ? I am trying to contact them 4 days now with no avail.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Kat Reply:

There have been no reported incidents of delays to IKA pensions. However, as you might know, things in Greece take time.

While abroad, the only thing you can do is call before 13:30 local Greek time. They typically do not respond to email or letters. In Greece, lots of us are forced to take time off from work or send a blood relative to get things done in person, which unfortunately is not an option for you.

Complaints can be filed for free and online with the Greek Ombudsman.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance.

  Laura wrote @ March 12th, 2014 at 20:02

ho chiamato il numero che ho trovato su questo sito dell”ika di Atene e mi dicono di mandare un fax per inviare AMKA ma non mi danno il numero come devo fare

  Georgios wrote @ May 2nd, 2014 at 09:38

My father is a greek pensioner who lives with me in Bulgaria. Frequently (4-5 months) he goes to a greek bank in Serres to collect his pension. He passed away in November. I went to the bank in March to take his pension for 2 months (since his last visit prior to death), since I’m written second after him in his bank book (he did that in case he can’t go). When I arrived at home in Bulgaria, after looking in his bank book for a little while, I realized the bank paid me/him pension for 4 or even five months. I was shocked to realize that. I announced my fathers death in December, but the pension continues to be paid. Does this consider a fraud and what should I do. Which institution should I inform to stop transferring money to his account since he is death.

Kat Reply:

Did you officially notify all Greek authorities that your father has passed away? If not, how would they know? Making an announcement is not enough.

You must get several copies of his death certificate, and apply for apostilles and translations to Greek if they’re not Greek documents, then contact the tax office, pension fund and bank to learn how to forward them the documents and what else is necessary to close his affairs. Otherwise, they remain open.

As long as you don’t withdraw more than he was entitled to, it is not considered fraud.

Sorry for your loss, and thank you for your question. All best.

  penny wrote @ May 3rd, 2014 at 01:17

I am writing for my uncle E______ H__________. He did not receive his ika checks for September, October, November and December of 2013 and also January, February, March and April of 2014. He lives at ___________. I have an uncle in Greece who went to ika to ask about his checks and they stated they sent 4 checks-January, February, March, and April of 2014. However he has not recieved received them. I would like to help my uncle track these checks. How can I go about doing this. I can caIll call you if necessary and do a 3 way call so this way you can talk to them. My name is panayiota and if you give me a number to call you it would be very much appreciated. I will also have my uncle on the line this way he can finally get some help. My phone number is _________. I live in Indiana and we are 8 hours behind you in Greece. Please respond any help is deeply appreciated. I can also be texted at this phone number if this is an option for you. I will wake up and call them even though it will be late at night here. No problem. Euxapisto papa poli.

Kat Reply:

First of all, NEVER leave personal information anywhere on the Internet. It can be misappropriated by people less kind than I am.
Also, when relevant, include the country code of your phone number. The US is +1. You cannot expect people in other countries to know this information and leaving it off means they will call the wrong number.

Second, all websites and transactions in Greece are in Greek, not English.

Third, texting and emailing are advanced concepts in Greece and no one is going to conduct business with a third party on confidential affairs via these methods because the pensioner’s identity must be verified.

Fourth, if you/he were to file a complaint with the ombudsman, which is where you originally left a comment, the article in section ‘Where do I go?’ specifically says you must visit the site and fill out a complaint form.

Last, it is your/his responsibility to get directly in touch with IKA offices during their business hours. See the list above or visit the website.

This website is a project I run in my unpaid spare time, and my taxes pay for civil servants to assist you. All best.

  mario wrote @ June 7th, 2014 at 13:46

Hello,I have a question,why does nothing work IKA abaut SANTORINI there is real slavery working full program cuvat not haveing a say,can someone IKA leadership to control what happens there, waiting and I answered something be done about the workers there. Thank you.

  Gabriela wrote @ June 17th, 2014 at 22:42

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am doing a PhD here in Greece, I am a Romanian citizen, and I would like to make my AMA IKA and AMKA numbers. I found work and my employer said he needs these numbers from me.

could you please tell me what documents I need?
thank you for your time!

Kat Reply:

You need to go in person to an IKA office to apply for IKA, and instructions on getting an AMKA are found at “How to get an AMKA.”

I do not represent the government. This is a website I built to help people in my unpaid spare time.

  Aline wrote @ June 19th, 2014 at 15:59

First of all can I just say what a fantastic service you are providing here. Bless you. I think you are very kind when responding to people who seem to think it’s your fault things aren’t moving fast enough for them!

I’m a UK citizen, receiving an IKA pension in my UK bank since March 2013. (prior to that it was going to a bank in Greece)

However, in the past few months the payments have been cut drastically:
Up to Feb 2014 – normal payments
March – half the amount of previous month
April – half the amount again
May – nothing
June – similar amount to April.

I am coming to Athens July 6 to try to sort this out. Is there anything you would advise me to do to try for a positive outcome? I have AFM, and AMKA, but have had no statements from IKA since late 2012.

I appreciate what you have said in other replies about going in person to Agisilaou 43 (or 48?) That’s my plan! I am currently trying to persuade my (fluent greek-speaking) children to come with me for support, as I’ve been back in the UK for 6 years now and my Greek, which used to be pretty fluent, isn’t any more!

Thanks again for all you do, and in advance for any suggestions you may have for me.

Efharisto poly!

Kat Reply:

The only advice I have are probably things you already know:
a) Carry a folder of every paper you have in your possession, plus photocopies (or small change to obtain as needed).
b) You can get printouts from IKA on demand, but everything should be updated in their records.
c) Have patience.

The rest is up to timing and the Greek gods of bureaucracy.

Take time out to enjoy yourself and celebrate once it’s sorted. :) Thank you for your kind words, and wishing you all the best! I hope everything works/ed out.

  Marta wrote @ August 31st, 2014 at 15:31

Hello,I dont know if this is the right place, but I have a question. I am a bulgarian citizen and I work in Greece on an exchange program only for the seasone, I know that I have rights here and I should be treated the same way like the greek citizens, but I am not. I am treated really bad and i want to make a complaint somewhere after I finish, I just dont want to leave things like this. Is there any way that I can do something? My friend told me that i can go to IKA’s office and make a complaint? Can you give me advice what can I do?

Yes,I want to fill a complaint against an employer.I came here by one agency,and I complained to this agency so many times and they didnt to anything to help me,and my employer treats me really bad,he threatens me all the time,he offends me,he screams on me when I am at work and when the customers are around and its so much stresfull for me to work like this.I still work for him,so thats why I am afraid to put the name here,so can u please tell me what can I do,where I can go,who I can talk to ?

Ok,thank you very much,i will wait for more information

Kat Reply:

Sorry to hear that. The majority of non-Greeks, even EU citizens, are treated quite poorly as Greece is nationalistic and close-minded. Only foreigners who are white and perceived to be wealthy are treated with some respect.

Do you want to file a complaint against the exchange program (Who is it? After I see it, I can edit out the name if you wish it to be private), employer, school/university, or someone else? Let me know, so I can direct you to the right place/person, as IKA is not necessarily the right place although your friend is correct in saying it can be done. I support you in taking action and am happy to help.

No problem. I do not require you to share anything in which you are not comfortable. However, please know that I have no reason to get you in trouble. I started this website to help people, and I have deleted the names of people/places for privacy even when they did not ask me to do it.

You would not file a complaint with IKA, it’s another office. I will get the information for you and update again. OK?

Sure, you’re welcome.

To file an official a complaint against an employer, you should go together with a Greek friend to the Epitheorisi. I don’t know where you’re located, and I don’t expect you to tell me, but there is Tmhima Koinonikis Epitheorsis at 37 Stadiou and 2 Dragatsaniou Streets in central Athens. If you’re not in Athens, it’s fine. There are other offices around Greece, and they can refer you to the one nearest your location.

I suggest filing your complaint near the end of your contract because they will call in the accused party to appear with you and hear both sides. Your job is supposed to be secure and the employer technically cannot do anything until the case is settled (or even after that), but I know of a few people who did lose their positions after winning. And even if you do keep your job, I imagine the environment is more difficult to work in.

You don’t need a lawyer or any other legal representative. I suggest you take a Greek friend with you for translation purposes and because it usually goes better if you do. I also recommend bringing:

Your passport, with your permit sticker inside (they ask)
Your work contract
Any evidence that supports your case: Dates, notes, papers, deposits, etc.
List of questions

Please let me know if you need anything else and/or how it turned out, if you have time and remember me. I wish you the best, and sorry this happened to you.

  Vaso wrote @ September 25th, 2014 at 20:19

My mother has not received her old age (thratos) pension for the past 12 months or so, which used to come from IKA. We live in Canada, and IKA used to direct deposit it for my mother in the bank. I’d like to help her figure out why this has stopped. Do you know if there is anyone at IKA that I can email to inquire? Or, should I go to the Greek Embassy here in Canada to inquire?
Thank you,

Thank you very much for your reply and advice !

Kat Reply:

More than a year ago, the Greek government stopped all pensions to people who didn’t have an AMKA and AFM on file. This was a generous deadline, since both of these have been mandatory since January 1, 2010.

I don’t know if that applies to your mother, as I’m not a civil servant, but you can look at comments from Greeks who had the same situation, both above you and at “AMKA: Greek social security number.”

The Greek embassy will not help you. This is a matter between your mother and IKA, so she/you will need to call them directly during Greek business hours. Email is an advanced concept, and many people report not getting a response using this method. All best.

  LD wrote @ June 22nd, 2015 at 13:07

Question: The IKA rules for employees seams a bit square.
Can it be correct that its not possible to hire an assistant waiter on limited IKA?
Our accounter says we need to pay full IKA.
Hope for a fast answer.

Your comment

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>