Corn dogs in Athens?

corndogs.jpg

So you’re looking at this photo and thinking:

a) Where did you get these?

b) Crazy freakin’ American.

c) That looks gross.

d) What the hell are corn dogs?

The answers are:

a) I made 24 of them, with corn meal I brought from California, hot dogs from Alfa Bita, buttermilk, flour, an egg and some sugar, salt and baking powder. I had no popsicle sticks, so I split a bunch of leftover take-out chopsticks in half.

b) Fair enough, nothing I haven’t heard before.

c) Not everyone thinks so. They disappeared in less than 15 minutes.

d) Corn dogs are a hot dogs on a stick, coated with a corn batter that is fried crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. They’re typically served at carnivals, county fairs and tourist spots, and lots of people like them with mustard. Frozen corn dogs can also be found at U.S. grocery stores to make at home (aka, there are none in Greece or perhaps any other country).

Since I opted to go to India and not on my annual trip to the United States to fulfill my “to eat” list, I broke down and made these.

This time of year also makes me nostalgic for the Alameda Country Fair, which is held around the time of my birthday until after Independence Day in America. I’m not a July 4th flag waving patriot; it just reminds me of my dad. Eating really bad food at outrageous prices was one of the only things in life we agreed on — frozen chocolate covered bananas, cheese nachos, ice cold pink lemonade, blue cotton candy, caramel apples and yes, corn dogs. I recovered pretty well as a kid, but I’m pretty sure I’d go into a diabetic coma if I had money to spare and tried the same thing now. Plus, it’s not the same without my dad.

So essentially my Greek life is saving me — albeit temporarily — from the affluent American life in which I’d earned and become accustomed. It’s for my own health! ;)

Taste of America in Greece
Crazy American things
Conversations from my life as an American in Athens

blog counter

melusina wrote @ July 4th, 2007 at 19:16

Happy Belated Birthday! I’m always slow on these things.

Corn dogs – I don’t know why, I just couldn’t ever get into them. I love corn things (corn bread, corn tortillas, etc.) but maybe it is that I don’t like hot dogs that much. I don’t hate them, but they are something I eat maybe once a year. Actually, I have eaten the corn part off around the hot dog before, but that is kinda pointless, I think. Still, I’m impressed that you made them from scratch!

Kat wrote @ July 5th, 2007 at 21:44

Hey Mel, thanks! :)

I’m not too fond of hot dogs either, but having them once a year probably won’t kill me. For me, it’s all about the nostalgia. But I know someone else who just eats the corn stuff.

Guess what other stuff I make from scratch — sour cream, Cinnabons, taco seasoning, sorbet and ice cream, pizza dough and sauce (mainly since our Domino’s sucks), KFC potato salad, Mrs. Fields chocolate chip cookies, Wendy’s frosties and Marie Callender’s chicken pot pie. I know it’s crazy, but I sometimes miss stuff and can tweak the ingredients to be a bit more healthy, less salty, etc. This will all stop once we get married and have kids and/or move to another country, I guarantee it.

melusina wrote @ July 7th, 2007 at 00:49

Ohhh, cinnabons! How do you make your own sour cream? I make my own pizza dough because I make stromboli all the time. When we move to our house I am so getting an ice cream maker, because I’ve never had one but I have the old family recipe for ice cream!

Kat wrote @ July 9th, 2007 at 19:59

Cinnabons take hours to make, and they disappear in less than 10 minutes. Great, eh? ;) Ice cream is fun to make, can’t wait to hear how you like it once you’re settled.

Sour cream

Take a jar and put in:
1 cup of 20% or light cream
5 tsp cultured buttermilk (should have 1% acid)

Shake, then add another:
1 cup of 20% or light cream
1 tsp (or to taste) salt

Shake again, leave cover on and leave in a 75-80F place for 24 hours. After that, refrigerate another 24 hours. Do not overstir or subject to high heat.

melusina wrote @ July 10th, 2007 at 00:13

Wow, that seems pretty easy! Thanks!

Megan wrote @ July 10th, 2007 at 13:32

Hey nice, I think I’ll try the sour cream idea on one of my stag nights! They’ve started selling it here in Munich but it still isn’t the same.

I’ve gotten pretty spoiled lately with the loot my husband has been toting back from the States on a regular basis over this past year (maybe the one benefit?), but the fresh stuff is still hard to get.

For our new (possible) location I’ll have to haul out my mom’s Julia Child and learn how to make mayo… among the many adventures that may await.

oye.

Alexandra wrote @ August 14th, 2012 at 00:46

hey:) its soo cool you make you own stuff.I’m from the U.S too and we moved to Greece like 8 years ago and i soo miss all the junk foods. my dad had a pizza storer back in the U.S. so luckily we have good pizza! and a misses fields opened near our house about a year ago and the cookies are pretty good:) i’m dying to have a corn dog so i’m deff gonna try and find some ingredients and make them!

but is very impressive that you make everything on your own:D

I’m aware of the place you named, but I do not give free advertising to unethical, price-gouging stores as stated in “Taste of America in Greece.”