Living in Greece

A practical guide to moving, living, working & traveling in Greece, plus musing and misadventures from an American in Athens

Greek national ID card or tautotita

© Copyrighted image Living in Greece

Everyone with Greek citizenship is entitled to a Greek national ID or police identity card (δελτίου αστυνομικής ταυτότητας/(deltiou astynomikis tautotitas), although only those permanently living in Greece really need one.

Used in all public and private transactions, it is required to get an AFM (tax number), AMKA, secure a bank account or credit card, apply for a Greek driver’s license, sign a contract (lease, work, prepaid phone or subscription, utility bills, purchase a home), take part in examinations, enroll in school or a university, see a state doctor, register for state insurance, collect unemployment, get married, receive pension payments and so much more. Greeks living abroad can also use their Greek ID to renew a Greek passport without sending for certificates to verify his/her registration in Greece.

Unlike other countries, the possession of a Greek national ID (tautotita) does not hold a higher or more exclusive status, since all of the same transactions mentioned above can be performed with a passport from any country.

All residents and visitors to Greece should carry some form of identification at all times. Failure to produce proof at the request of law enforcement officials could result in temporary detention, while your identity is established and verified.

*Article last updated January 3, 2015. However, ‘Comments’ reflect a specific case and/or whatever laws were in effect at that time.

Greek ID photo is from my personal collection and may not be reused. It has also been Photoshopped, removing vital elements to help prevent forgery.

Non-citizen residents of Greece

If you do not have Greek citizenship, you do not qualify for a Greek national ID. The act of being born outside Greece to a Greek citizen means nothing unless you, your parents or grandparents applied for your citizenship, registered and obtained a certificate. See, “Greek citizenship by ancestry.”

Citizenship is also not transferable. Therefore, being married to a Greek citizen does not entitle a spouse to a Greek passport or Greek national ID, unless he/she goes through the citizenship process. See, “Ways to acquire Greek citizenship.”

Should you not qualify for Greek citizenship, it is absolutely no problem since your passport accomplishes all of the same things a Greek national ID does. It is not a permanent residence card. Residence permit cards are only issued to non-EU citizens, as explained in “Residence-Work Permits.”

Greek tautotitaPhoto from Ta Nea

Yesterday and today

Greek ID cards (tautotites) used to be handwritten and only in Greek. Since 2000, they were changed to Greek and Latin characters to facilitate travel within EU/Schengen zone without a passport.

In June 2005, two further changes were made. The process of issuing a Greek ID was simplified, thus cutting the wait time from one year to a few minutes, and the mandatory age to get a Greek ID (tautotita) was changed from 14  years to 12 years*. Although the Greek ID is now bilingual and printed, it no longer has a fingerprint, lists no religious affiliation or spouse name, and does not contain a microchip that would facilitate passage through automated customs control now available at some international airports. The latter is one reason a new Citizen Card is under consideration, though a biometric passport achieves the same thing.

It is technically not a “European” or EU ID; it is a Greek ID concerned with designating a person by nationality and country, not by continent. All European countries have their own unique ID for their respective citizens.

It also does not meet the lawful Schengen standard, which is why many EU/Schengen members refuse to accept it as a valid form of identification and will ask for a Greek passport. Schengen countries, which include Greece, are required to issue IDs valid for a maximum of 10 years. However, most people keep the same Greek ID until they die and a June 2009 law only states that they must be replaced every 15 years.

The majority of Greek citizens feel no need to update or exchange their IDs, which causes problems for passport control, airlines and other border authorities because grown adults will have ID photos of themselves as teenagers.

However, as of 2011, enforcement of the 2009 law is being stepped up. Many police stations in Greece require that Greek citizens have a Greek national ID with Latin letters before accepting first-time and renewal applications for Greek passports.

*Many official websites and other online sources say that the mandatory age to get a Greek ID is 14 years. This is incorrect, which they should know if doing proper research and updates.

Greek Citizen Card or Κάρτα του Πολίτη

In September 2010, the interior ministry announced that the new Greek ‘Citizen Card,’ Κάρτα του Πολίτη or καρτότητα/kartotita would replace the Greek national ID by the end of 2011. However, Greece had no elected government from November 2011 and a coalition took power in June 2012.

A digital-friendly, credit card-sized ID with microchip will make it possible to complete secure transactions pertaining to pensions, prescriptions, taxes and other bureaucracy, saving both time and money. France, Germany (since 1967), Belgium, Italy and Spain have already phased in electronic cards or e-cards.

The Ministry of Interior opened the draft bill to public consultation in November 2010. Since then there have been no real action or details on the application process, only more debates in November 2012 on how and why it should be implemented.

*An article with photos will be published and linked here when known.

New identity cards from 2012 —

New Greek police identity cards

On June 14, 2012, the Ministry of Citizen Protection announced it would begin phasing in credit-card sized national or police identity cards (pictured above), which harmonize with directive 2252/2004 and will be recognized as travel documents valid within the EU. Issuance was scheduled for Fall 2012, but thus far nothing has been made mandatory and no one is being forced to swap.

All Greek citizens will be required to replace their current blue national/police ID card (pictured at the top of article) in chronological and alphabetical order. Meaning, the oldest cards in circulation would be swapped first by year and surname.* The process to apply will be the same.

Current ID cards will continue to be valid until replacement.

*I will update when/if it it changes.

Where to apply

In Greece

Greek ID cards are only issued in person by local police stations in Greece on behalf of the Ministry of Citizen Protection.

To find a location nearest you, look in a map book available for sale at any kiosk (periptero) or use the List of Greek Police Stations from the Greek Passport Center website, which provides the address, map, phone number and hours of operation for each location:

According to the official website*, Identity Offices or Γραφεία Ταυτοτήτων/Grafeia Taftotiton are open daily from 7:30-14:30, except Wednesday when they operate 14:00-20:30. On Saturdays, hours are 8:00-13:00 during which only students can apply.

*In reality, many police stations do not follow the schedule set forth by the Ministry of Citizen Protection.

Outside Greece

It was agreed in September 2011 that a special unit would be set up at consulates in Germany to issue Greek ID cards to the diaspora;  and in December another was announced for Cyprus.

The official press release did not specify which locations in Germany would handle applications, only that 18 police officers would be dispatched and rotated out every three (3) months.

No other Greek consulates/embassies are currently authorized to accept applications for or issue Greek national IDs/tautotites.

*I am looking for someone who had a Greek police identity card issued in Germany or Cyprus and can share their first-hand experience in Comments.

new greek idPhoto from To Vima

Getting your first Greek national ID

Everyone applying for a Greek ID for the first time must go in person and bring a witness*, not just minors who need to be accompanied by a parent/guardian. There are no online applications.

1. Go to the police station or consulate (in Germany and Cyprus only) to issue a Greek national ID. Some require appointments; others do not. If police need to request your Greek citizenship records, it may take a few days and you will be asked to come back.

2. Police may ask you to fill out and sign a dilosi (statement of facts) stating your intention to secure a new ID and/or the presence of a witness.

*Special thanks to readers who alerted me of the change several months before the official website amended their article in Greek.

Documents required:

1. A certified Greek birth certificate or travel document that shows your surname/name and your father’s name
— Police will automatically request it from your οικογενειακή μερίδα/oikogeniaki merida via fax or electronically. If they cannot find it or police at that location do not provide this service, only then will you be asked to secure an original and it must specifically state that it will be used for the issuance of your Greek ID.
*Depending on when and where you apply, mainland or an island, it can take up to 2-3 days to receive the document
— Must be issued within 90 days of application

**If you are a naturalized or foreign-born Greek citizen, they may ask for:
a) a certified and printed birth certificate from your homeland translated to Greek. See, “Official translations to Greek” if you require one; OR
b) a Greek passport as a secondary identification; OR
c) a signed declaration/dilosi that you are from abroad, even though the law as written does not state this.

All Greek citizens from abroad report different variations at different times in different locations. This is Greece, everyone’s experience can vary, so please do not ask me which they will ask you for.

2. Two (2) black-and-white photos “for a Greek ID”
— Must show your entire face with an expression that is neither smiling or frowning; hair must be pulled away from the face, face must be matte and mouth closed.
— A reader who acquired a Greek ID in June 2010 says the photo’s measurements are 35 mm x 35 mm.**
— It is not a passport photo, and photographers will typically ask why you need photos. Just say ‘gia taftotita.’
*Some were asked for three (3) photos, others were asked for four (4). I always carry extras because it’s better to have too many than too few.
**Greek Police website now says 36 mm x 36 mm, but their update was posted nearly a year after my readers checked in.

3. Proof of residence — One (1) photocopy
— If you live in Greece, utility bill (DEH, OTE, EVDAP) of current residence, if you live in Greece
— If you live outside Greece, utility bill of a relative or you may be asked to sign a dilosi that you live abroad (monimos).

4. Alternate name documentation for applicant, if applicable
— Dual Greek citizens who have a name different than the transliterated Latin name should provide a photocopy of a non-Greek passport or birth certificate or other official document, and the original to show Greek authorities.
*Effective November 7, 2011. See section below called, ‘How is my Greek name written in Latin?’ for more information.

5. Pay 0.30 euro cents fixed stamp tax (χαρτοσήμο/xartosimo)

6. A document stating your blood type, issued by a private doctor, lab or IKA (Optional)

Replacing an outdated, lost or stolen Greek ID

According to the Ministry of Citizen Protection, an amendment passed June 2009 states that a Greek national ID or ταυτότητα (tautotita/taftotita) must be replaced if any of the following apply:

— Information on the ID card has changed;
— Your ID card does not contain Latin letters;
— It is worn or damaged;
— It has been 15 years since your current one was issued.
— It has been lost or stolen.

The process:

Some police stations issue Greek national IDs on the spot if you bring everything with you. Some require appointments. If the location you visit requires you set an appointment, you will complete the two steps below, then come back on a different day to turn in required documents.

You need to bring a witness if:
a) The information on your ID has changed (i.e., name); or
b) You are updating your Greek-only ID to a Greek ID with Latin letters; or
c) It has been 15 years since your current one was issued; or
d) You are a minor and must be accompanied by a parent/guardian.

1. Go to the police station and fill out a dilosi (statement of facts) that states your intention to cancel and issue a replacement ID
— If your ID was stolen, you must present evidence of this fact (e.g., a police report) and give a statement under which it occurred.
— If it concerns a name change, bring documentation of this fact (e.g., court document, marriage certificate).
— Police will provide you with a dilosi and tell you what to write in all cases

2. Hand over your current Greek ID to police.
— Make a front and back copy if you wish for sentimental purposes before going to the police station since you will never get it back
— If you are required to set an appointment and come back another day, make sure you won’t need it for any transactions or have other means of ID (passport, driver’s license).

Documents required:

1. A certified Greek birth certificate or travel document showing your surname/name and your father’s name
— Police will automatically request it from your οικογενειακή μερίδα/oikogeniaki merida via fax or electronically. If they cannot find it or police at that location do not provide this service, only then will you be asked to secure an original and it must specifically state that it will be used for the issuance of your Greek ID.
*Depending on when and where you apply, mainland or an island, it can take up to 2-3 days to receive the document
— Must be issued within 90 days of application.

**If you are a naturalized or foreign-born Greek citizen, they may ask for:
a) a certified and printed birth certificate from your homeland translated to Greek. See, “Official translations to Greek” if you require one; OR
b) a Greek passport as a secondary identification; OR
c) a signed declaration/dilosi that you are from abroad, even though the law as written does not state this.

All Greek citizens from abroad report different variations at different times in different locations. This is Greece, everyone’s experience can vary, so please do not ask me which they will ask you for.

2. Two (2) black-and-white photos “for a Greek ID”
— Must show your entire face with an expression that is neither smiling or frowning; hair must be pulled away from the face, face must be matte and mouth closed.
— A reader who acquired a Greek ID in June 2010 says the photo’s measurements are 35 mm x 35 mm.
— It is not a passport photo.
*Some were asked for three (3) photos, others were asked for four (4). I always carry extras because it’s better to have too many than too few.

3. Proof of residence — One (1) photocopy
— If you live in Greece, utility bill (DEH, OTE, EVDAP) of current residence, if you live in Greece
— If you live outside Greece, utility bill of a relative or you may be asked to sign a dilosi that you live abroad (monimos).

4. Alternate name documentation for applicant, if applicable
— Dual Greek citizens who have a name different than the transliterated Latin name should provide a photocopy of a non-Greek passport or birth certificate or other official document, and the original to show Greek authorities.
*Effective November 7, 2011. See section below called, ‘How is my Greek name written in Latin?’ for more information.

5. Pay 0.30 euro cents fixed stamp tax (χαρτοσήμο/xartosimo)
5. Pay 9.00 euros fixed stamp tax (χαρτοσήμο/xartosimo) if your ID was lost or suffered wear and tear due to being abused (forces of nature, such as earthquake, hurricane, shipwreck are excluded)

6. A document stating your blood type, issued by a private doctor, lab or IKA (Optional)

What happens next?

Police stamp, verify and enter the information into a computer, three copies of an application form are printed out and the new ID is created while you wait or you will be asked to come back the next day to pick it up (depends on location)*. Sign the papers and ID card, which is then laminated and given to you.

If reissuing an updated or new ID to replace a former one, a completely new ID number will be assigned — you do not keep the same number. However, the old and new numbers are cross-referenced to identify you as the owner of both. The old card is held on file.

*Ask if they issue the same day or next day before submitting your papers, if time is an issue for you.

How long does it take to get a Greek national ID or tautotita?

Many police stations can issue a Greek ID on the spot without an appointment, as issuance only takes a few minutes if the right documents are found or provided.

However, some locations demand that you make an appointment and come back the next day or in a few days. It depends on the police station and how long it takes to receive Greek citizenship records, if you do not provide them yourself.

What information does it list?

Front side:
Blood type (A, B, AB or O) — Optional
Rhesus (positive/negative)
ID number
Date and place of issuance
Signature and stamp

Back side:
Surname (English) — Option for ‘OR'; i.e., Tzonson OR Johnson
ΟΝΟΜΑ (Greek)
Given Name (English) — Option for ‘OR'; i.e., Evridiki OR Eurydice
Father’s Name (English)
ΟΝΟΜΑ ΜHΤΕΡΑ/Mother’s name (Greek)
ΕΠΩΝΥΜΑ ΜHΤΕΡΑ/Mother’s surname (Greek)
ΤΟΠΟΣ ΓΕΝΝΗΣΗΣ/Municipality of birth (Greek)
ΥΨΟΣ (Height) — In centimeters
ΔΗΜΟΤΗΣ/Dimotis — Place of voting rights and registration (Greek)
ΑΡΧΗ ΕΚΔΟΣΗΣ ΔΕΛΤΙΟΥ ΤΑYΤΟΤΗΤΑΣ/Municipality issuing the ID (Greek)
Stamp and signature of police (Greek)

It does not list address or phone number, nor does the current version list the mother’s name in English.

How is my Greek name written in Latin?

Names in English/Latin letters on police identities or national ID cards are typically transliterated from Greek, following a formula set by ELOT 743 that harmonizes with the International Standard (ISO 843). To see your Greek name transliterated to Latin, click “ELOT 743 Translator,” use the left column and enter your name in Greek.

Variations typically occur when you:
a) have Greek letters that do not literally transliterate to English, i.e., ψ, δ, γ, χ, ξ.
b) have a Latin name with letters that do not literally translate to Greek, i.e., B, D, G, J, W, Υ.
c) started with a Latin name that was translated to Greek, then transliterated back to Latin.

As of November 2011, law 401/2011 gives citizens the right to specify a transliterated name AND a translated name, as long as you present documentation specified above in #4 in ‘Documents required’. For example:

  • ΣΤΕΦΑΝΙΑ, followed by STEFANIA OR STEPHANIE (taken from a private email);
  • ΠΑΝΑΓΙΩΤΗΣ, followed by PANAGIOTIS OR PETER (taken from a private email).

Expiration date

The old Greek ID has no expiration date, but the Ministry of Citizen Protection says it must be replaced every 15 years. Therefore, you should count 15 years from the date it was issued and enter this on the airline form.

If your Greek ID hasn’t been replaced in the last 15 years, you are legally obliged to apply for a new one per a 2009 law that says all citizens should swap.

Can I still travel within the EU/Schengen using my old Greek ID?

Everyone with an updated Greek national ID in Greek/English is permitted to travel within the EU and Schengen zone as of April 2010; plus FYROM, as of August 7, 2007. Those who have the older ID (in Greek only) can still use it as a valid form of identification but must swap for a new ID. Why? Because Schengen requires Latin letters and Greek laws in place since June 2009 say that Greek IDs must be replaced every 15 years, so everyone should have done it by now. Otherwise, Greek citizens should be in possession of a biometric Greek passport to travel.

Article 5 of European Parliament and Council directive 2004/38C on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely in the territory of Member States says: “Without prejudice to the provisions on travel documents applicable to national border controls, Member States shall grant Union citizens leave to enter their territory with a valid identity card or passport and shall grant family members who are not nationals of a Member State leave to enter their territory with a valid passport.”

Note that the phrase “Without prejudice to” means the directive is not binding and leaves room for any member state to allow its own laws to override those of the EU. Therefore, an EU member state can refuse to recognize a national ID as a valid document and request a passport.

The Greek national ID or police identity card also does not follow the Schengen rule of being valid for a maximum of 10 years, which means Schengen member states can refuse to acknowledge it as a legal document for the purpose of identification or travel within its territory.

Official ministry websites in several EU member states acknowledge these gray areas, saying that EU citizens should have a national ID card or a biometric passport “as appropriate,” giving airlines, ferry companies and border authorities the right to ask for either.

*Note that some travelers report that they were able to use their Greek ID to travel between all EU member states, even if it was an old Greek ID without Latin letters. However, some were asked for a biometric passport instead.

Can I use my Greek ID to travel to/from the UK?

The UK Border Agency says that EU citizens must show a national ID card or a passport.

However, note in ‘Comments’ that Sandra was told that her British-Greek children require passports to travel, not just a Greek national ID card. Tracey shares her experience in being told by UK border/passport authorities that a Greek ID is not valid for travel, though two of her children were allowed passage at other airports in the UK. And UK border authorities wanted Elizabeth to show a Greek passport, not a Greek ID, when traveling from Paris on Eurostar.

Based on Article 5 and EU directive mentioned in the previous section, UK authorities and airlines are within their right to ask for a biometric Greek passport issued after August 26, 2006. For example, in “Ταξιδεύω στο Ηνωμένο Βασίλειο” (I’m traveling to the UK), Olympic Air says that passengers traveling to/from the UK are required to present the following information at check-in: Name, Gender, Date of Birth, Nationality, Passport Number, Passport Expiration Date and Country Issuing Passport. Half of these elements cannot be provided by a Greek ID alone.

Readers are free to inquire at the nearest UK consulate/embassy to receive advice. However, this is not a foolproof method since different locations and staff members dispense conflicting information.

*Hat tip to readers and commentators for providing first-hand experience, and trusted confidante CEO for sending me links & his private consultation on the above sections.

The “Official” article

My June 2007 article is based on documentation received at the police station before official government websites existed in any language, combined with the first-hand experiences of Greek citizens in my life, then updated over the years with the news articles and press releases listed below and readers’ experiences shared in comments.

After my article was published, the Ministry of Public Order website offered a poorly translated English version, which was followed by an inaccurate page by the Ministry of Citizen Protection and a third version by the Greek police website in late 2010 that does not match the requirements stated in the Greek version.

Official websites, in general, are unreliable, inaccurate and rarely updated. A Wikipedia entry also appeared years after my article and contains incorrect information.


— First-hand experience of three Greek citizens, plus documentation they collected and notes I took while accompanying one of them
— Specific experiences of Greek and non-Greek EU commentators
— Government Gazette circular FEK 1440/2005, which I translated from Greek to English
Article 5 of European Parliament and Council directive 2004/38C —

Updates from:

Σε μέγεθος πιστωτικής κάρτας οι νέες ταυτότητες” — Ta Nea
Ξανά στην ουρά για νέες ταυτότητες” — To Vima
Έκδοση Δελτίου Ταυτότητας” —
Νέα δελτία ταυτότητας για το αστυνομικό προσωπικό” —
Κάρτα του Πολίτη αντί αστυνομικής ταυτότητας” — To Vima
Από σήμερα μέχρι της 12 Δεκεμβρίου η δημόσια διαβούλευση για την Κάρτα του Πολίτη” — Imerisia
Χωρίς ευαίσθητα στοιχεία η κάρτα του πολίτη” — Ta Nea
Cancellation of identity cards” — UK Identity and Passport Service
Ταξιδεύω στο Ηνωμένο Βασίλειο” — Olympic Air
Έκδοση δελτίων ταυτότητας Ελλήνων πολιτών σε Κύπρο και Γερμανία” — Naftemporiki
Σε μορφή πιστωτικής κάρτας οι νέες αστυνομικές ταυτότητες” — Ta Nea
Τον Σεπτέμβριο ξεκινάει η διάθεση των νέων δελτίων ταυτότητας” — To Vima
Γερμανοί αστυνομικοί για τους λαθρομετανάστες” — Ta Nea
Αντιδράσεις Χρυσής Αυγής για την «Κάρτα του Πολίτη»” — Naftemporiki
UK Border Agency
— Government Gazette circular FEK 1253/2009, which I translated from Greek to English
— First-hand information from C.E.O. in 2011 and 2012
— Readers’ contributions below in Comments

In the News

“UK border agency adept in spotting forged Greek ID cards” — Weston Mercury (article no longer archived)
Man arrested in Athens over stealing 9 million files, including Greek ID data” — Reuters
Men caught with fake Greek IDs” — Cyprus Mail

Related posts

Greek passport
Converting to a Greek driver’s license
Certify a photocopy, dilosi or other document in Greece


  Christos wrote @ June 1st, 2010 at 04:22

HI, i have a greek id card and a american passport. if i travel to greece from the usa, can i use my greek id card to pass customs? my greek passport is expired. thank you

Kat Reply:

I see you couldn’t wait for an answer and posted the same question in a forum two hours later. Of course I was sleeping at 4:00 a.m. and couldn’t reply.

You can potentially use a Greek ID to travel within the EU/Schengen zone, but it’s not acceptable between the USA and Greece. For example: If airport previous to landing in Greece is in the EU/Schengen zone, you can use a Greek ID just for that leg. If the airport previous to landing in Greece was in the USA, you cannot.

In “American Greek dual citizenship” under ‘Which passport should I use?’ the official advice given by the U.S. Department of State and Attica Citizen Centre in Greece is those with both a U.S. and Greek passport should use the U.S. passport to exit America, enter Greece with the Greek passport, exit Greece with the Greek passport then re-enter America with the U.S. passport.

However, since your Greek passport is expired, it is perfectly fine to travel on the U.S. passport for the entire time, as long as your trip is less than 90 days. My friend Mitsos is a Greek-American living in Greece, and he’s never had a Greek passport. He says that his Greek ID and U.S. passport do everything he needs.

  Chris wrote @ June 13th, 2010 at 19:20

I’m going to Greece for this exact reason.

I’m foreign born but I have a Greek passport. Are you saying that I still need a birth certificate for an identity card and NOT my passport? Ownership of a passport, by default, assumes the owner already has had his citizenship verified.

Thank you

Kat Reply:

Yes, that’s what I’m saying. This post is based on first-hand experience of my Greek partner and two friends, all born in Greece. It didn’t matter that they had biometric Greek passports and valid, existing Greek ID cards. They still had to get birth certificates from their oikogeneiaki merida that specifically stated they were for the issuance of a Greek ID.

I understand the logic behind your thinking because lots of us think the same way, but the system doesn’t work that way here.

  foto wrote @ June 19th, 2010 at 17:19

My experience this past week (20 june 2010) suggests otherwise. I am foreign born, I have Greek citizenship/meritha/passport, etc…except the tautotita.

My local police station (suburban athens, with no personal connections!) were happy to request via their office the oikogeniaki meritha (so no wasted time running to peireaus) and were happy to accept my greek passport as an alternative to translated/certified birth certificate from australia.

According to my mother’s id card, listing blood type is not mandatory on the card (issued 2004)….and my police official didn’t request that info from me either.

I collect my card on monday – if otherwise I will send an update post. best of luck to all trawling the system – turtle paced, it IS getting better.


Kat Reply:

Your experience doesn’t suggest otherwise; it is exactly as written. The office requested your Greek birth/citizenship certificate from your oikogeneiaki merida to verify Greek citizenship; and your Greek passport was accepted as a secondary identification in lieu of your Australian birth certificate/citizenship.

As I understood the question posed above by Chris, he asked why a Greek passport alone wasn’t enough to establish Greek citizenship in lieu of a Greek birth certificate.

That’s true, blood type is optional.

Whether the system is getting better depends on who waits on you and who you are. Not everyone enjoys equal treatment and competent service.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It helps me learn if things have changed.

  foto wrote @ June 23rd, 2010 at 17:06

Hi all,
Kala nea, tautotita done – NO MORE PAPERWORK!
Xtipa xulo!
About the passport tautotita issue. Actually the official notice at the police station is explicit that original birth certificate is required for first time tautotita. There is no indication that greek passport is sufficient or that even oikogeniaki meritha satisfies the requirement. For a foreign born citizen, that can mean literally Oringinal Birth Certificate from home country, certified translation and stamp from your local greek consulate. That is general path for externally sought paperwork. Thus my surprise when contra to the public notice, the police officer was happy to accept greek passport and faxed thru for meritha. I was also fortunate to come across a pleasant and helpful officer who was working in a crappy, poorly facilitated office. We joked that the back up system to the computer facility was “me xeris?” “se xero!”

On a lighter note, I was shocked when my local photo shop suggested it would take 24hrs to process the tautotita photos. I said to him “I hope you are going to make me look beautiful if you take that long”. I was joking! Anyway, I asked if he would mind doing a little faster bc i wanted to get papers finished and he said “no prob – be back in an hour”. Back in an hour, I collected my photos and was truly shocked when I saw that he had touched up the photos for astinomia!!!!!! The photo was so light on the b/w contrast and soooo washed out and there wasnt a suggestion of a wrinkle – think pale plastered goth!….I never imagined that anyone would dare tamper with official photos!
Tous efage i omorfia tous!

giasas, ’til the next paperwork!

Kat Reply:

The official government circular I sourced for my article and answers to questions is the same one you saw posted by police, and it says that they automatically request your certified original Greek birth certificate from your oikogeneiaki merida via fax or electronically. This is why they faxed your merida. I never said a merida or Greek passport alone is sufficient.

What you encountered with your photo is something I’ve heard amongst many people when getting a Greek ID or Greek passport, which is why I mentioned it in the Greek passport article. Therefore, it isn’t unusual. Their intention is to fix photos to ensure they meet requirements; otherwise, you’d need to take and pay for them again.

  Kleonas wrote @ July 2nd, 2010 at 17:01


I have a dire issue. I live in the UK and have had a Greek Taftotita for some time, but I recently lost it. Do I have to go back to greece to cancel it? Can i do this at the consulate in London?

Please help

Kat Reply:

You did not provide enough information for me to dispense an answer specific to your situation, but I’ll give a general response and hope it sets you in the right direction. When you lose your Greek ID, you need to report this to police in whatever city/country it occurred as a matter of record. Get a copy of the report and then show it to Greek police in Greece when applying for a replacement ID card.

I’ve never heard of anyone needing to report this to a Greek embassy/consulate, since they don’t issue IDs and aren’t a policing authority. Passports, yes. Greek IDs, no. However, you are free to call and ask.

Thank you for your question.

  Jennifer wrote @ July 2nd, 2010 at 22:45

I’m traveling to Greece this summer to complete the process of getting my passport and ID card. I find it easier to take care of as many things as possible in my home country (US), rather than run around my town during August where many stores are closed.

My question is about the photograph for the passport and ID. I’ve found plentiful information regarding the passport photo requirements, 4 x 6 cm, color, no smile, white background, etc.

I have found NO information regarding the photo requirements for the ID card other than I need four and they must be black and white. If someone could provide the size requirement and anything else so I can print them ahead of time that would be most appreciated.

Follow-up: It is possible to ask someone who has recently obtained their ID card to measure the picture so I can take one that’s somewhat close?

And if possible confirm the black and white and not color?


Kat Reply:

Countries are usually more specific about photos for passports because each country has different requirements, and passports are biometric.

This isn’t the case with Greek IDs, and no one amongst people I know have had trouble. Official government circulars and literature posted at the police station don’t give parameters for the Greek ID photo, nor does the police and citizen protection website. If they did, I would have included them above.

Follow-up: As I say in the article, as Greek police say, as the citizen protection website says, it’s black and white. If you don’t believe what’s written, feel free to choose another source.

I spent my unpaid free time translating, researching, updating and making this information available in English for everyone’s convenience, then repeated the same information to answer questions. Seriously? I’m not going to measure my Greek partner’s ID card.

If someone with a Greek ID would like to measure their picture in millimeters (mm) or centimeters (cm), please post a comment with the dimensions.

  foto wrote @ July 11th, 2010 at 17:37

My tautotita was issued in June 2010 and the photo is 35mmx35mm.

Enjoy the August nights and don’t spend too much time on passport – you can always get that done at your home consulate/embassy without time pressure. Keep your humour – always – and remember in August the police and passport people would also prefer to be at the beach!

Kat Reply:


Did they ask you for a local address in Greece when you applied for your Greek ID? Or was your address in Australia acceptable?

I realize the address is not listed on the ID or anywhere on the documents you turned in, but I’m wondering if they asked you for an address on the application. Could you let me know?

  sandra wrote @ July 24th, 2010 at 17:12

I just want to know if children can travel from greece to the uk with their greek id cards, someone told me that children need to travel with passports not id cards, the children are 12 and 14.

Kat Reply:

Hi Sandra,

I couldn’t find any laws prohibiting children from traveling with a Greek national ID, so I suspect they’re telling you a passport is necessary for reasons specified above in the article under “Can I travel in EU/Schengen with a Greek ID?” and “Can I use a Greek ID to enter/exit the UK?”

According to some laws and directives, national IDs are supposed to be valid forms of ID for the purpose of travel within all EU countries. But according to other laws and directives, Greek ID cards are only valid for travel within the Schengen zone, as long as they have Latin letters. The UK is in a gray area because it’s not in Schengen (see “Current Schengen countries“), and the Greek ID is in a gray area because it doesn’t meet EU standards. So authorities are within their right to ask for either.

  Chris wrote @ September 10th, 2010 at 16:48

Hi, (also wrote in June 2010)

I just got back from Greece (Sept. 2010) and if I were to go from what I experienced there I can say that the information that I printed from this site in June is mostly wrong or dated. I went to two police stations, one from my mother”s village and one that was the new headquarters building in a major city. The latter had a poice receptionist (unusual) and an office specifically for issuing identity cards only. So I can only assume the lady working in this office knew what she was talking about. I speak fluent Greek and here is what I learned that was COMMON to BOTH police stations:

1. “Passport” photos are NOT valid. “Passport” implies passport photos and mine were rejected out-right because of the incorrect paper type. You have to get your B & W photos in Greece and specify that they are for an identity card!
This is because the photos are printed on SUPER THIN paper – it is much thinner than we are used to putting in our printers and official passport paper is way too stiff and thick. They showed me examples and indeed the paper was super thin- I’ve never seen paper this thin before. Also the size of you face in an identity card is much smaller than in a passport. For a Greek passport the vertical dimension of your face must be from 30 – 35mm. This was also an issue with my passport photos.30mm seems to be the upper limit.

2. As someone has also mentioned, blood type would be nice but NO LONGER neeeded.

3. You DO NOT need a birth certificate from your non-Greek country (but you never know and it would not hurt to bring one).

Here is what was NOT COMMON to both:

1. The lady who does this for a living at the headquarters building told me that for first time identity card applicants, I must have a WITNESS. A “guarantor” as they say here in Canada – someone who knows you. (This was not required at the village station location).

2. At the village station a FAXED Greek “birth” certificate was adequate (where I’m registered – Father’s village) which must be stamped and certified by the office people receiving it. In other words any government office in Greece can have your certificate faxed to you. (A certified copy at the headquarters location was required which she could have easily arranged if I had my witness).
If you want to save hassles just have the original mailed to you provided it is not older than 90 days (might be 3 months).

3. At the village station I needed to declare in writing that I lived overseas (“monimos”).

Well, in the end I never did get my identity card because I got tired of the whole thing.

Incidentally, you may be wondering why I want a Greek identity card. The reason is that it makes passport renewal in Canada easier. If you don’t have an identity card you need to have this 90 day registration certificate mailed to you from Greece. That’s all.


Kat Reply:

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as an example of how similar people doing similar transactions can encounter different requests in different locations at different times. I remember you.

In response to what you wrote, you must have printed an older version of this article because I don’t see how my article is “mostly wrong” since it doesn’t differ from your info.

Common to both:

1. My article says black and white photos. It does not say passport, but the official government website once used the word ‘passport’ before changing it to “for id” (months after your comment). The dimensions 35mm x 35mm were given to me by commentator ‘Foto’ who successfully got his Greek ID in July 2010.
2. The article does list blood type as ‘OPTIONAL.’
3. Again, this does not differ from what the article says. Some people were asked for a birth certificate, some a passport, others nothing.

Not common:
1. The official website once said “a witness/guardian/parent for minors,” which I mention above. No one else I know encountered this as an adult, but I see the official website has changed their text as of October 2010, requesting that all first-time applicants have a witness.
2. The Greek police website says that a faxed or emailed birth certificate is automatically requested. My article says the same, plus I added through first-hand experience that in some cases people need to get an original through KEP or via mail (though not everyone has a mailing address as you did) from their oikogeneiaki merida if police requested such or there was an issue. The text has always said within 90 days. Therefore, the article doesn’t differ from what you encountered.
3. Never heard of this, and commentators from abroad did not mention it, but I will add this as a sidenote to the article.

Let’s face it. This is Greece. Anyone, anywhere can ask for everything or nothing. I state this in my “Warning and Disclaimer” as a characteristic of dealing with bureaucracy in a country where “results may vary.”

Nothing wrong with wanting a Greek ID for any reason if you’re entitled, but it’s a bureaucratic marathon for some people as you learned. Good to know that it makes Greek passport renewal easier — will add that above. I appreciate your contribution!

  Lazaros wrote @ October 5th, 2010 at 02:26

I have a major problem and i need you to help me out. I’m Greek and i’m studying at Cardiff, Wales. Today i just found out that i have lost my ID and i also don’t have a passport. I want to return to Greece for some days in 2 weeks. Please give me some advice about what i should do. Are there anyways to get a new one from here? If yes, who should i contact with?
Thanks for your time

Kat Reply:

Hi Lazaro,

The only place you can get a Greek ID is at a police station in Greece. If you don’t have a Greek passport, you need to make contact with the nearest Greek embassy/consulate, explain your situation and let them advise you of possible options. Unless your return to Greece in two weeks is an emergency, you may be asked to postpone your trip until a Greek passport is issued.

If you haven’t done it already, you need to report your Greek ID as lost and get documented evidence of it because the Greek police will ask for proof when reissuing another. Sto kalo.

  Tracey wrote @ October 20th, 2010 at 14:50

Kat, firstly thanks for all this info.

I recently travelled with my daughter to Doncaster airport, UK and was told that she couldn’t go through with her Greek ID card although they did eventually let her through as she’s a minor. I was told Greek ID cards are not valid for travelling to any UK airport although my eldest daughter got through, no questions asked, on the same day at Bristol airport, UK!! My son who now lives in the UK has travelled on his Greek ID card for many years with no problems.

After reading all the info you’ve given, I can see that a Greek ID card doesn’t officially cover as a passport to any UK airport as the UK is not a Schengen state. As i’ve many friends who have children travelling back to the UK for holidays in the upcoming weeks/months, I advised them to check this out. Do you know if they can be refused entry if they do travel with a Greek ID card instead of a valid British/Greek passport?

Thank you.

PS. I did contact the both the British and Greek embassies before travelling and was told Greek ID cards were valid to travel into UK with. Obviously there’s a lot of bad information out there!

Kat Reply:

Hi Tracey,

Some Greeks pass in/out of the UK with their Greek ID and no Greek passport; some were denied entry with an ID alone and asked for a passport. There’s a gray area because an EU directive says national IDs are acceptable in all EU countries and the UKBA says either is fine, but there are Schengen and other laws that say otherwise.

Technically and legally, anyone without the proper travel documents can be refused entry. There’s no way to definitively answer your question because it’s not black and white — it depends on who you get, what mood they’re in and what knowledge they have. I can’t imagine they’d refuse to repatriate one of their own, but they are within their rights to do exactly that.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It illustrates the variation in how border authorities are interpreting conflicting laws.

P.S. The accuracy of information coming from Greek embassies and consulates depends on which location you contact and the person you talk to. British embassies and consulates are only required to know the law as it pertains to UK issues.

  Paul wrote @ November 8th, 2010 at 11:07

Hi Kat,

Do you know if you are required to supply a Greek address to get the id card? I’m an Australian born Greek living in France and would like to obtain the id card so I can work here in France.

Also, do I need to go to the police station in the municipality where I’m registered or can I go to any?



Kat Reply:

Hi Paul,

Two excellent questions.

— Do you need a Greek address? I don’t know for certain. Official literature doesn’t say, and everyone I asked is a Greek living in Greece with a local address or a Greek using the address of a relative if he/she doesn’t live here permanently. Being as it’s an ID card associated with designating someone by country, it would be logical to require someone have an address in that country. However, you are a Greek national no matter where you live, the Greek ID does not list an address, and commentator ‘Chris’ above said he was asked to sign a dilosi stating he lived abroad (“monimos”).

— Do you need to go to the municipality where you’re registered? The official literature says, police station nearest one’s residence. Everyone I know went to a police station near their work or home, not where they’re necessarily registered, and they weren’t turned away.

I know these answers aren’t black and white, but I’m sure you know Greece is a “results may vary” country and the experiences of others above you confirm those shades of gray.

Thank you so much for challenging my knowledge and stopping by. I’d be interested to hear your experience, if you fancy sharing it after you have your Greek ID.

  Andrea wrote @ November 10th, 2010 at 19:11

Dear Kat,

I’m writing to you through an open comment to thank you for the enormous amount of information you have made available on the web. It is a priceless resource!

I know very well the amount of effort it must have taken! I lived in Greece from 1970 to 1999. During those years, I was part of several groups — and knew several individuals — who tried to create such a resource. Perhaps some of us even did create the bare-bones prototypes you may have seen, like the old book “Living in Greece.” We all worked from the same heartfelt mission — to make information available, clear up misinformation, and share our experiences in hopes that living in Greece could become simpler and more joyous for others.

Fortunately I found your site — I’m caught in a paperwork nightmare. My Greek “tauftotita” dates back to 1981, I haven’t got an AMKA; I didn’t change my name when I got divorced from my Greek husband, my name still appears in his “oikogeniaki merida” … etcetera. I always planned to sort it out one day.

My wake up call came this week when I received a notice regarding changes in the bank’s processing of my “syntaxi.” For that I need an AMKA — which, of course, is linked to all of the above.

That’s what brought me to your site. Thank you so much for posting so much clear information, all in English. I’ll use it to plan my trip to Greece to sort this all out.

I hope this message reaches you! Congratulations on the astonishing job you’ve done, and sincere, heartfelt thanks.

All best wishes,


Kat Reply:

Hi Andrea,

Wow, that is quite a paperwork nightmare. The good news is you can take care of the tautotita at the police station, then the AMKA and oikogeneiaki merida at KEP Citizen Service Centres. Nowadays, most insurance funds are streamlining Greek pensions by wiring them direct to bank accounts, so everything should go smoothly once it’s sorted.

Though is a work-in-progress because I maintain and expand it in my spare time, I’m happy that it can help and in some way repay you for past efforts on the “Living in Greece” book (mentioned in my “About Me“). It was incredibly useful when I first arrived and still comes to the rescue on occasion when I need to decipher washing machine symbols on clothes.

Thank you so much for taking the time to say hello and let me know who you are. Because you and I have both shared the same mission, your words somehow mean more.

All best and hope to hear from you again,


  Harrys wrote @ November 13th, 2010 at 11:31

Hello there,

I have a question and need some help!!!

First of all i want to travel to the UK. i am in coast guard (Hellenic Republic Ministry Of Mercantile Marine, Aegean And Island Policy Coast Guard) that’s my ID card and it’s also in the other side in Latin (Name Surname, Father’s name, date of birth, ID number), can i travel with this document or i need a passport?

Kat Reply:

Hi Harry,

Some people report that they were able to travel to the UK with only a Greek ID, but some were refused entry and asked for a passport instead. Why? There are conflicting rules, directives and laws, as I list in the article above.

You can take the chance to travel with the Greek ID alone. But most people have a Greek passport on hand. See, “How to get a Greek passport” or if you need help with collecting your documents.

Thank you for your question, and Καλό Ταξίδι!

  John wrote @ December 5th, 2010 at 09:02

I have a greek ID card that looks like the one at the top of this article. I was issued this ID card in 2005. Is there any reason to update my card to a new one? And what does a new one look like?

Kat Reply:

As it says in the article, a Greek ID is good for 15 years. There’s no need to change it unless something significant is different.

As it also says in the article, details surrounding the new Greek citizen ID have not been worked out and an article will be published when the bill is finalized.

  n.s. wrote @ February 20th, 2011 at 13:48

good day,

i live in the Netherlands and i have the following documents
Greek passport
Dutch passport
Greek ( deltion taytotitos) ID card dated 1966

i would like to have a new Greek ID card.

my question is, if it is possible, and what kind of certificates needed, for this procedure and how long it takes.

thank you for reading this message.


Kat Reply:

Everything you need to apply for a replacement Greek ID card is already listed above under, “Replacing an outdated, lost or stolen Greek ID – Documents required.” The article also says how long it takes in the same section.

Please take the time to read the information.

In order to apply for a Greek ID, you must be in Greece as it says under, “Where to apply.”

  Erez wrote @ March 2nd, 2011 at 13:40


I am a Greek citizen and need to travel from the UK to Spain. My Greek passport has expired and I have already applied for a new one today, the Greek consulate informed me that it can take up to 1 month. The issue is I will need to travel to Spain from the UK within this 1 month (probably before I receive my renewed passport). I have a national Greek ID card. Can I use this ID to enter Spain coming from the UK?

Also can I use the Greek ID card to enter France coming from Turkey?

Thank you for your assistance


Kat Reply:

All answers are in the article above, but I’m feeling charitable and will repeat the info. My answer assumes you have the type of Greek ID in both Greek and English.

Between UK and Spain: Technically, the UKBA says you may enter with a national ID or passport. However, you will find people above who had trouble with entering on a Greek ID alone, which is attributed to the gray area of conflicting rules, directives and laws listed above in the article; others say they didn’t. Entering and leaving Spain is no problem since Spain is in Schengen.

Between France and Turkey: Turkey is not in Schengen and the Turkish ministry website says a passport is necessary, so a Greek ID is not an acceptable travel document. You could try using a Greek ID, but authorities are within their right to refuse you entry or exit. Entering and leaving France is no problem since France is in Schengen.

If your Greek ID is only in Greek (no Latin translation), you may use it as a form of identification, but the law as written says you should use a biometric Greek passport to travel.

  Dimitrios wrote @ March 9th, 2011 at 12:39

i have a greek id issued on 2009, can i travel just with ID to Ireland or i need my passport too…

Kat Reply:

The official EU website is outdated, and the Greek Ministry of Citizen Protection says a Greek ID or Greek passport is acceptable. According to the Irish government website and Citizens Information Centre, EU citizens can use a national ID or passport “as appropriate.” What does that mean? The way they explained it is it comes down to the airline, ferry company, tour operator or border authority asking. It never hurts to have both. Kalo taxidi!

Discover Ireland

  sdelic wrote @ March 14th, 2011 at 07:58

According to the Official portal of the EU (EUROPA), travelling to any of the EU states for any EU national is possible with passport or national ID. That is also valid for Greek ID.

I am quoting the following link:

“You will therefore need to present a valid passport or ID card when travelling to the five non-Schengen countries and when entering or leaving the EU at the external borders.”

Specimen of the travel documents issued by an EU country and valid to travel to other EU countries can be found here:

To confirm the validity of any of the statements above, the easiest would be just to call the Irish embassy/consulate.

Kat Reply:

I appreciate these links, but you should know they’re both outdated as if often the case with official websites. How do I know? The EU website says 39 non-EU countries can travel visa-free to the EU. That’s not true. Right now there are 44 countries.

Neither mentions that the UK stopped recognizing certain UK and EEA national ID cards as valid legal documents to verify ID, age or for travel in Europe as of midnight January 21, 2011. I already attributed and linked my UK source in the above article.

The previous comment you left with text from IATA was never published and held in moderation because I contacted IATA staff by email/phone in Greece and Timatic Publications headquarters in the Netherlands and they drew a blank when asked to name their sources for Turkey and Ireland. I also found official information from the foreign affairs ministry of Turkey, plus the Irish source listed in the comment above that contradicted IATA information on file for these countries.

Calling embassies/consulates is not a foolproof method in verifying facts, as many staff are uninformed and different people/locations give different answers. And in spite of having factual information, one’s actual experience can still differ, which Greek/EU citizens state above from first-hand experience. If, for example, someone is allowed passage with an old Greek ID by border authorities because of ignorance or leniency, it only means that law was overlooked. It doesn’t prove the law is non-existent.

  Patrick wrote @ March 24th, 2011 at 18:54

I am Greek and I have just come to the UK to live with my mother, who is English. During the time I have lost my Greek ID card and need to get a new one but I don’t have a passport. Therefore, I can’t go to Greece to do so. How can I get a new one if I am in England?

Kat Reply:

As you read, you can only get a Greek ID card in Greece at a police station. Therefore, your only option is to go to the Greek consulate/embassy nearest you and apply for a Greek passport. See “Greek passport” or contact the nearest Greek consulate/embassy for guidance.

Also, you’ll need to report your ID card as lost and get documentation of this to use in the future. It’s a requirement to get a replacement ID, as it says above.

  katrina wrote @ April 28th, 2011 at 03:59

First of all thank you for all the information available. A lot of work.

I was born in Canada and my father, now deceased, was born in Piraeus Greece. My mother and father lived in Greece approx 3 years around 1963 to ? I know my Mom had an ID card.

  Florencia wrote @ May 13th, 2011 at 14:00


I was born in Argentina, I do have my Greek birth certificate and Greek passport. At the moment, I live in London. My Greek passport is due to expire early August; however, the consulate told me that I would not get an appointment before October.

Is it possible to get the passport and the ID Card in Greece in a shorter time? Would you suggest going to Athens or a smaller city.

Thanks in advance,


Kat Reply:

Greek IDs and Greek passports are both issued at police stations in Greece, so you may be able to apply for both at the same time if you’re prepared.

A Greek ID can be issued in a few minutes, as long as you have all of the items listed above; note that it takes more than a Greek birth certificate. The list is based on people’s real-life experience. Some stations ask you set an appointment; some don’t and can issue it right away.

You can apply for a Greek passport with or without a Greek ID as long as you have all the documents listed and fees paid. See “Greek passport” for details on what’s required, how long it takes and people’s real-life experience. It will certainly be done before October, but some police stations cancel the old passport before issuing the new one so take that into consideration if you need it for ID or travel identification purposes and don’t have an alternative.

Applying in Athens: They have more staff, more experience, longer hours, but more applications. Applying in a smaller town: They have fewer staff, shorter hours, less experience and fewer applications. There’s no way to know who or which location will be faster.

  sdelic wrote @ June 7th, 2011 at 00:28

Update on entering UK with Greek ID: I entered UK today with Greek ID issued in 2004, handwritten in both greek and latin alphabet. I arrived from Moscow, on Aeroflot flight 241 to Heathrow Terminal 4. No questions asked, almost empty EU queue. This confirms that EU citizens (among them Greek citizens) can enter UK with their national IDs.

Kat Reply:

I know you’re obsessed with proving me wrong, which is why you keep coming back again and again with supposed proof over several months, and I appreciate the feedback. But I never disputed that people are using new and old Greek IDs to enter/exit the UK.

As we speak, Greek authorities are enforcing the 2009 by requiring Greek citizens to get an updated ID in English before they can renew their Greek passports. What applies yesterday does not necessarily apply today. What you experienced does not reflect everyone’s experience.

All I do in the article is quote Greek law, Schengen rules, EU directives and Article 5 of the European Parliament and Council Directive as written, plus rules by various airlines, border agencies and ministry websites. I highlight the gray areas created by those conflicting laws, directives, rules and the ID card itself to explain why a Greek ID may not be enough, and indeed some EU citizens report that they were denied entry to the UK with Greek national IDs and asked for passports instead.

It’s not black and white, and I stand by my article.

  Andriy wrote @ June 8th, 2011 at 01:43

I have a bit different situation: a Greek citizen entered Ukraine with a valid passport, but during his stay in Ukraine his passport expired. He does not have his ID with him.
Can he reenter Greece with this expired passport?
Which Greek law allows or prohibits him to do so?
Thank you!

Kat Reply:

A traveler is responsible for ensuring his/her passport or ID is valid for the length of his trip before departure.

You didn’t say whether “he” is flying or making a land crossing, but airlines typically don’t allow anyone to check in without valid ID or travel documents and border/rail authorities normally don’t allow someone to board or cross.

If you’re interested in Greek laws that prohibit or allow “him” to travel without a passport or ID, feel free to look them up. I recommend calling or going immediately to the Greek Embassy In Kiev to get official advice and/or apply for a new passport or get a special paper that allows him to repatriate.

P.S. If “he” is you, you should just say so.

  atif wrote @ June 26th, 2011 at 18:48

i have pakistani passport and i’m living in greece since 10 years legally and i’m taxpayer since 10 years i have ika , afm , amka , and driving licence and language certificate B. pls tell me how I may apply for an id card and can i work in other european union countries , if not pls tell me how to get taftothta of greece. i hope that you will give me good advice. pls give me chance to say thanks

Kat Reply:

As I say in the first sentence, you may only get a Greek Id/taftotita if you have Greek citizenship. If you have Greek citizenship, follow the instructions above to apply for a Greek ID.

If you do not have Greek citizenship, you must go through naturalization. See “Greek citizenship by naturalization” and follow the instructions. After you are granted Greek citizenship, you may apply for a Greek ID and move, live and work in another EU country.

  Amy wrote @ July 16th, 2011 at 13:27

Do you know if the police check men’s military service records when applying for an ID? My boyfriend is anepotaktos (draft dodger) and hesitates going to the police to replace his 16 years old ID. We’re getting contradictory information online, some say they check for it, others didn’t have any problem.

Thanks for any clue!

Kat Reply:

I believe you mean ‘anypotaktos.’

The above article is based on people’s real-life experience. None of them mention being refused an ID for being a draft dodger, nor do the requirements include producing any papers related to that status though police do access the oikogeneiaki merida and can easily check.

Draft dodgers are tolerated, and many hyphenated Greeks living outside Greece continue to get Greek passports and Greek IDs as long as they have a permanent resident abroad certificate or go to the military recruiting office to declare their status.

The worst that can happen is he’s refused an ID and will be told why on the spot. They will not and cannot arrest or conscript him in the station. The military will be notified, and the police will deliver and have him sign a paper that says he must appear within 3 days to give answers about his status. He can choose to not appear and leave the country, then resolve things at the Greek embassy/consulate nearest his current residence.

Also, it is not contradictory information you’re getting. Greece is a ‘results may vary’ country where rules are often flexible, so everyone’s experience can vary.

  Joanne wrote @ August 12th, 2011 at 23:29

First off a huge thank you! You have greatly reduced my headaches. My husband and I just made the move to Athens.

After 2 months of working on it, I finally got my Greek ID just yesterday. I just wanted to let you know my experience at the police station. I needed my oikogeneiaki merida ID paper, my witness and 4 photos (one of which they gave back to me-go figure). I didn’t need to bring a stamp. The police station provided a stamp for .23 euro.

I also had to write on the application that I am from abroad and that’s why I didn’t have a previous ID.

Thank you again. I still have lots of bureaucracy to deal with, and am sooo glad to have this resource available. Next: husband’s Diamoni Card and my Greek passport.

Kat Reply:

Your experience is identical to the info I already provide above in the article, which says: a) Witness; b) oikogeneiaki merida paper; c) photos; d) if you are from abroad, one or all of the papers listed may be requested. In your case, it was a dilosi (1c); others were asked for 1a, 1b or all three.

It does not say you need to bring a stamp. It says that you pay a stamp tax of 0.30 euros.

Just a friendly warning. If your husband is American, you only have until the 90th day since his arrival in Greece/Schengen to finish applying for his adeia diamonis. For example, the deadline is August 28 if you arrived on May 29.

All best, and thank you for sharing your experience. It helps me monitor changes that official sites don’t disclose.

  Stav wrote @ October 12th, 2011 at 16:59

Please Verify, Last time I spent over 5 mths in Greece I applied and was granted an additional 180 Day permit at cost €464. I am considered a dual national Australian Greek. I intend on staying in Greece beyond my visa free period of 90 Days this year but have this time applied for a Hellenic National Identity Card so as to not have to pay the €464.00 fee. I arrived in Greece on an Australian Passport. Its such a pain having to pay so much money to stay for 4 more weeks. Is this OK or will I have to pay again?

Kat Reply:

If you’re a dual national, meaning you’re a Greek citizen, you have the right to stay in Greece as long as you like without applying for a visa extension (not permit) and without paying a fee. The only threat is being drafted into the military if between the ages of 19-45. Because you were previously granted a visa extension and paid a fee, it means you’re not a Greek citizen, or authorities (for whatever reason) did not know you were a Greek national.

But if you’re not a Greek citizen, it means you’re ineligible for a Greek national ID.

Therefore, something about the information you provided is incomplete or inaccurate, and I cannot verify anything.

  E.G wrote @ October 20th, 2011 at 14:50

Comment 1:
I have a layover in Athens on a Sunday for 6 hours and my plan was to go and have an ID card issued. After speaking to the Piraeus station they advised they only do this during weekdays. Furthermore I was told that I need to go to the municipality where I am registered (in this case near Thessaloniki). I have my Pistopoihtiko Gennhsis in hand, so they do not need to ask the regional office for this.

I know this is Greece and anything goes, but has anyone had an ID card issued recently on a Sunday?


Comment 2:
Thanks for the above reply. I am actually a foreign born Greek living outside of Greece. As stated, I had a layover in Athens and was hoping to be able to take care of this. Unf it does not look like this will happen

Kat Reply:

Answer 1:
As I told commentator ‘Paul’ above, all Greeks I know had their IDs issued at the police station nearest their work or current residence, not where their political rights are registered; I know of no foreign-born Greeks not living in Greece who were turned away from a station of their choice. The official website says nearest one’s residence, and some public sector’s offices can be convinced to help you if you show a utility bill in your name.

If you plan on going to the Piraeus station and they will only issue IDs on weekdays and if you’re registered in that municipality, then unfortunately you abide by those rules.

All stations — perhaps even down to the individual officer — interpret/implement the law and set their own rules. In my 13 years living in Greece, I never try to do any business on Sunday since this is still considered a day of rest. Only tourist services operate on Sunday.

Answer 2:
I understand who you are and what you’re trying to do, so I’ve no idea why you felt necessary to repeat the information.

I referenced ‘Paul’ as an example because he also is a foreign-born Greek who asked if it was necessary to go to the police station in his registered municipality. ‘Foto’ is foreign born, as is ‘Chris’ who was helped by police stations both in Athens and in his father’s village.

All I did was quote the law and give you knowledge based on many people’s experience.

  John – Ioannis wrote @ November 8th, 2011 at 15:36

Hi there.

first off thank you very much for this valuable and current source of information.

Using your advice and with some help from friends within Greece, I got my Greek ID card over the weekend on a brief visit from the UK.

I would like to add that the latin characterization of ones name is not a translation. So in my case, Ioannis (in greek text) does not become ‘John’. The issuing office has some lee-way when it comes to letters or letter combinations that make the sound ‘ee’. But that’s as far as they will go.

i would have preferred the translation as this would have mirrored what I have on my Greek passport – Ioannis in Greek and John in English. Even with the passport as precedent they refused claiming instead that the tautotita has even stricter issue controls than a passport. As a foreign born Greek I go by the name John – though because the registration from the municpality shows ‘Ioannis’ they needed to use this. I don’t know what it entails to have ‘John’ on the municipal registration. The silent ‘H’ would present a problem possibly…

I have a question specifically with the card itself. Does it somehow react to specific lights such as UV? Upon my return to the UK, going through border control I watched others go through using their dog-eared tautotites so I thought I would give it a go also. Unfortunately, I was told that my card was not performing as expected and that I should get it renewed. They would not tell me what they expected to see. Obviously I am not going to get another tautotita anytime soon and next time instead of using my Greek passport for entry (as i did upon the border guards request), I will be insisting that the tautotita is accepted.

Kat Reply:

In the section “What does it list?” I say that the English version is a transliteration based on a formula set by ELOT 743. Greek passports are done to show both the transliteration and translation as you know, but I haven’t seen anything change with the taftotites. The much-rumored, and never implemented, new Greek citizen card (kartotita) may change that in the future, but the non-elected government has other priorities at the moment.

The current ID card has security and biometrics embedded, but I haven’t seen one of the newer cards in person to determine whether it reacts to UV light. Border authorities are within their lawful right to ask for either a Greek ID or passport, so you cannot necessarily insist on anything. Also know that Greeks with dog-eared cards will be forced to exchange them the next time they renew their passports.

  Elena wrote @ December 31st, 2011 at 07:20

Hi I am living in UK and i want to go back to Greece in February but the problem is that my passport expires 20th january and i tried to book an appointment with the embassy in london but “Zhse Mah Mou Na Fas Trifili”!!! I ve got my old Greek ID with me and i am wondering if could replace it with the new Latin ID through the Greek embassy in london?

Kat Reply:

Your question is already answered above in the section, “Where to apply,” specifically under Outside Greece.

Greek passports can be renewed up to a year in advance, and many Greeks in the UK come to Greece to do both the passport and ID if they waited ’til the last minute.

  Charity wrote @ January 22nd, 2012 at 12:24

Hi, I was reading with interest all this information you provide which is fabulous~! I just wanted to add to the lost taftotita info. My 15-year old daughter lost hers somewhere and so we went to the police station. They were wonderfully helpful and we ended up getting a new one – with no hassle. But, we were told to go to the tax office (not sure what it is called in Greek) and at one of the offices there to declare the first one lost and the 2nd one validated as the current one. Not sure if that makes sense – but it is one step that is not mentioned above.

Kat Reply:

I appreciate you sharing your experience. However, I will not change my article because going to the tax office (eforia) is not a step in issuing a new taftotita after reporting the previous lost. It’s simply protocol for updating one’s personal information on file, just as a person would report a change of address or new passport number to a public sector office or bank.

  Christina wrote @ February 28th, 2012 at 19:59

can i travel from the United Kingdom to Germany with a greek national ID Card?
thank you for your help and advice

Kat Reply:

You should be able to travel between the UK and Germany with a Greek national ID, but a few people mentioned that they had trouble using their Greek ID cards when reentering the UK, and Germany will usually comment if you’re still carrying the type that’s only in Greek, since Greek citizens should have converted to the bilingual version back in 2009.

All EU member states have the right to request a national ID or a passport.

  Elizampeth wrote @ March 5th, 2012 at 17:22

I am Greek-American Living in the UK. I was recently coming back from Paris with the Eurostar and the english border woman told me that I have to get a passport but i have never had problems travelling with my i.d. in and out of england. I have done that 3 times coming in england from heathrow and from eurostar with the exact same i.d. My i.d. is from 2009 and the plastic wrapping has fallen apart from one side but it was in that condition when I travelled the other times. Now i am going to be travelling to greece in april and i could renew my i.d. then but do you think i really need the passport. As it is quite expensive to do.

Kat Reply:

The UK Border Agency says a national ID or passport are acceptable forms of identification for travel, though other readers report that their Greek ID was deemed unacceptable and authorities were within their right to request a passport, as explained in the above section, ‘Can I use my Greek ID to travel to/from the UK?’

Getting a Greek passport is a personal choice on which I cannot advise. However, you can see the instructions detailed at “Greek passport” if interested.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and all best.

  Laura wrote @ March 7th, 2012 at 22:53

My husband is an Albanian national of Greek heritage. He has lived in Greece since he was 14 and only went back once to renew his passport (which is the non-biometric version). He has a Greek national identity card and lives in the U.S. with a valid Green Card. We want to go and visit his family in Greece this summer but it was recently announced that Albanian passports that are not biometric are no longer valid for international travel. He does not have a Greek passport, but does have the national ID card. Can he travel to Greece with just his Greek ID card or will they turn him away at the border???

Kat Reply:

A Greek ID card is only valid for travel within the Schengen zone or European Union, as explained in the article above. The USA and Albania are not in the Schengen zone or the EU. Therefore, he needs a passport and border authorities have the right to turn him away. He can get a Greek passport according to instructions at, “Greek passport” or he can renew/reissue his Albanian passport at the Albanian embassy/consulate nearest your residence.

  elena wrote @ March 13th, 2012 at 14:37

hi i m greek but i live in n.ireland. i’m traveling with easyjet from belfast to gatwick and gatwick to corfu. i have identity card. can i travel with that card or i need and the passport? if i can travel with the greek card easyjet ask me for details name surname and the expire date. yes but the greek card doesnt has expire date? please can u help me? thank you and sorry for my greek.

Kat Reply:

You did not provide enough information for me to give a custom answer.

In the article under “Can I still travel within the EU/Schengen using my old Greek ID?” and “Can I travel to/from the UK with my Greek ID?” I explain that all Greek citizens are obligated to get the new Greek taftotita in Greek/English as of 2009. If you have this ID, you can travel with that. If you do not, you technically need a Greek passport. You can view instructions at “Greek passport.” You can try to travel with the the old Greek-only Greek ID, but authorities may refuse to recognize it as valid and ask for a passport.

In the section called “Expiration Date,” it says that a Greek ID must be replaced every 15 years, so it expires 15 years from the date it was issued.

Don’t apologize for anything. We understand each other; that’s all that matters.

  Jane wrote @ May 10th, 2012 at 22:31

Hi, I’m living in Greece and planning to go back to the UK in a few months for a month with my family, Greek husband and three small children, I know I need Greek passports for the children which I will be attending appointment tomorrow to fix, I have my UK passport, but my husband has only his Greek ID, which he got the new version a few days ago, In a nut shell would you risk it to go to the UK with the new ID or would you advise to get a passport, as I’m hearing from this end you can go with your ID, but then I’m hearing you might get problems back in the UK, I need to be certain.

Thanks so much.

Kat Reply:

As I say above, there’s no way to be 100 percent certain. Some of my readers say their Greek ID/tautotita was fine. Others say it wasn’t, and they were asked for a Greek passport.

Because it’s better to be safe than sorry, I would recommend your husband get a Greek passport. Should his Greek ID be insufficient, it will be near impossible to get a passport in the UK as a lot of Greek citizens complained it took them several months to book an appointment with the Greek embassy in London at “Greek passport.”

Wishing you all the best.

  Tasos wrote @ June 1st, 2012 at 16:38

Hi, I’m greek citizen with a valid identity card (greek and latin typed characters) and I’m interested in visiting UK this summer. I read your previous comments about the “gray areas” of doing so. Do you know of any cases of people being DEFINETELY definitely refused entrance ?

Do you know of any relevant laws in the UK ?
Thank you in advance.

Kat Reply:

I am not a Greek citizen and use my passport for everything. I am not a UK citizen and have never lived in the UK, and therefore do not know their laws. Everything I know has been detailed above and consistently updated since 2007 with official sources and readers’ contributions.

  emma wrote @ July 21st, 2012 at 13:58

I live in the uk, I am Greek. i had to register my marriage and child’s birth here with the consulate. i need to get my surname changed on those certificates but the embassy wouldnt do this because i didnt have the councils decision to change it though the reference number was on the oik meritha, my question is can i get this done at the special registrations office in athens when i get there next week. i need to get a new id card with the new name too to get my passport renewed as well whilst there.

Kat Reply:

You cannot change your name on marriage or birth certificates unless it’s a misspelling.

People are allowed to indicate alternative spellings on Greek ID cards and Greek passports. However, women in Greece cannot take their husband’s surnames after marriage, so there’s no easy registration procedure for this as far as I know. If I’m wrong, please come back and tell me what they required.

  Katerina wrote @ August 29th, 2012 at 02:33


I am a Greek/Canadian dual nationality student, studying in London under my EU passport. This has recently expired and so I had to enter the United Kingdom (coming from North America) on my Canadian passport and explain the issue at hand. I have now started the process for renewing my Greek passport here in London and have been told I won’t get a new one until March 2013 (!!!!!!!). My problem is that I have to leave the UK for a weekend trip to Italy and then RETURN to London. I also come and go between Brussels and London fairly regularly so I have to be able to get back into the country. Can I still re-enter the UK on my Canadian passport or is the Greek Tautotita+expired passport+explanation (and apology) for ridiculously long waiting time for issuance enough, please? The Greek Embassy in London is refusing to issue me an official document stating that I am awaiting renewal (and that it takes forever!)

Many thanks for your help!


Kat Reply:

You didn’t provide enough information to receive solutions specific to your situation.

A Greek passport (not EU) can be renewed/reissued up to a year in advance of expiration. The scarcity of appointments and long wait time in London are known, years-old issues, which is why many Greeks fly to Greece to get a passport as it only takes a few days with the right documentation. It’s all explained in the article and comments from Greeks in the UK on “Greek passport.”

Therefore, border authorities are within their right to turn you away, especially if none of the travel described is for medical or emergency reasons, which is why the Greek embassy won’t (and shouldn’t) issue you an official document. Reasons and apologies have nothing to do with the law, and you are accountable for your actions and any consequences.

Canadian passport holders are allowed temporary stay (without a visa/permit) in the Schengen zone for 90 days in any 180-day period.

Traveling between the UK and other EEA/EU countries is possible with the right tautotita as explained above in sections, “Can I travel within EU/Schengen using my old Greek ID?’ and “Can I travel to/from the UK with my Greek ID?’

  Kosta wrote @ November 18th, 2012 at 20:20

Hey guys, I wanted to know if on the Greek ID cards you identify yourself only as Greek or Greek-orotdox??? Can you help me with this question? Thanks!

Kat Reply:

Your question is already answered in the section ‘Yesterday and today,’ where it says Greek ID cards no longer list religious affiliation.

Only people in possession of taftotites issued previous to June 2005 still have it.

  hari wrote @ November 22nd, 2012 at 18:46

Your questions were moved to “Long-term EU-wide residency/work permits for Greece.”

  Debbie wrote @ December 5th, 2012 at 21:21

Hi, Just to see if anyone can help me???? My son has got a British passport but he was born here and he is finishing lukeio next year. His dream is to study at the merchant navy academy but as we know he needs a greek identity card for that. We handed in all the papers and everything seemed to be running smoothly until the government froze all new citizens from taking the identity card..It seems severe considering hes from the EEC. Thankyou.

Kat Reply:

The freezing of all procedures pertaining to Greek citizenship applies to all persons of non-Greek origin. It doesn’t matter if the person is an EU/EEA or non-EU/EEA citizen, they were born here, etc.

All I can say is Edo Ellada.

  aggeliki wrote @ December 9th, 2012 at 23:15

geia sas tha hthela na mou peite akrivos mporw na paramhnw sthn germania monhma me thn elliniki tautotita efoswn exei ekdwthei to 2006 kai taxidepsa to 2010 sthn germania edw kai 2 xronia den eixa thema alla tora mou lene oti den einai ekgiri epidi den exei hmerominia lixeis auto einai dekto? kai parakalw uparxh nomothesia mono gia thn paramonh kratown sthn ee me ellhniki tautotita kai an nai pou mporw na thn vrw euxaristw polu

  Vas. wrote @ January 11th, 2013 at 04:21

Hello, I am Greek, now live in Taiwan and have 2 kids, 15 and 10 years old. My kids have 2 nationalities, the Greek and the Taiwanese. My son has also a Greek ID. He got it around 2010 when he was ~13 years old. He now studies in an American school and the authorities here request a valid passport to accept his registration for next school year, to prove his Greek citizenship (the foreign one). His passport expires in a few months (thanks Greece to give kids only a 3 years validity passport) so the school said that he very probably needs to renew his Greek passport. Until here okey, but the problem is that our beloved country, for political reasons, doesn’t recognize Taiwan and there is no Greek Office here. The only solution to renew his passport is to go to Greece or to a Greek Consulate like in Hong-Kong (both parents and the kid, and a parent to come back later to take the passport !). Thank you Greece again ! So, I was thinking that I will try to convince the Taiwan authorities that my son’s ID, with latin characters, proves his citizenship. Can you provide me some advice: which internet link or other information to provide to them ? Thank you.

Kat Reply:

Possession of a Greek ID is proof of citizenship, but authorities are within their right to ask for a biometric Greek passport. A birth certificate is proof of Greek citizenship if he was born in Greece, as is the pistopoiitiko issued upon granting of Greek citizenship to a foreign-born child of Greek origin through an ancestor born in Greece.

A three-year passport is not unusual, as it’s an attempt to keep records and photos updated and prevent child abduction should the parents divorce.

All the links, translations, research, news updates, advice and first-hand details I offer for free are contained in the 4000-word article above. If you need something more, please contact the Greek consulate/embassy nearest you or the Ministry of Public Order and Citizen Protection, which has authority over passports and taftotites.

  ermal wrote @ April 7th, 2013 at 06:22

Hi. I arrived in uk for life , and l wanted to ask can l open a worke permet with greek taftotita , thexh

Kat Reply:

You didn’t provide enough information for me to help you.

Also, this website about Greece. The EU is not one country with one set of rules, and UK immigration and labor laws are very different. You should have done research before moving. See:

  Tim wrote @ July 25th, 2013 at 21:35

Hello, What an amazing website! such a wealth of information. A good friend of mine has just finished the process of becoming a dual US/ Greek Citizen and is eager to move to the UK. He obviously needs either a passport or ID card to enter the UK as EU citizen but gaining his proof of foreign residence in order to delay military service is proving a very lengthy process from the USA. He obviously needs this to apply for a passport but does he need it, as a foreign resident, to apply for an ID Card?

Kat Reply:

To complete the Greek citizenship process, he was required to register with the military. If he flies to Greece to get a national ID card, they’ll send for his status, see there’s no exemption on file and alert the military of a ‘draft evader.’ That means he can also be assessed a fine of up to 6,000 euros, which he’ll need to clear by providing the exemption.

Doesn’t it make more sense to do it right than invite additional problems due to impatience? And define “very lengthy process.” First, all Greek bureaucracy is lengthy. Second, read the stories of men who did the permanent residence abroad certificate and Greek military exemption in the UK at “Greek citizenship by ancestry” — it took years because the London location is booked solid.

  jamie wrote @ July 26th, 2013 at 14:04

Question 1:
Hi there
I came to the UK from Greece in March 2009 on my Greek ID card which is both in Greek and English. Actually it was issued in the summer of 2008. Now I haven’t traveled back since but planning on going back for holidays this month and was just reading through some info that you have posted. Do I need a new ID card to travel back? if not do I have to have a new one issued while I’m out there to travel back to the UK?
Please help!!!!!!

Question 2:
I only asked because of the new electronic IDs that you mention. In one article it says that as of September 2012, all Greek citizens will gradually have to hand the old ones in and exchange them for the electronic ones. Therefore since I’m going next month will I have to have one new one issued to travel back?

Kat Reply:

Answer 1:
As it says in the article above, the Greek ID cards in Greek and English are good for 15 years. Therefore, I don’t understand why you would need a new one.

Border authorities are within their right to ask for a biometric passport as all Greek IDs still do not meet the Schengen or EU standard. There’s nothing you can do about that ’til Greece finally complies.

Answer 2:
Right, that’s already covered in section, ‘New Greek police identity cards.’ They’re primarily targeting Greek citizens who still haven’t swapped for the newish Greek/English one you have (aka, those carrying around IDs with photos of themselves as teenagers).

If you don’t accept the information translated directly from the Ministry of Citizen Protection, please inquire with the police station while here. All best.

  mahsin wrote @ February 19th, 2014 at 00:55
  Jorgo wrote @ March 21st, 2014 at 10:57

I am Albanian, but I have got greek citizenship (greek of origin).
Currently (2014) i have just got greek ID, taftotita.
I live in Albania.
I got a job offer in denmark.
Can I travel,move and work to denmark, from albania, with only my ID card (taftotita)?
Thank you

Kat Reply:

EU citizens enjoy free movement within the member states. However, I advise calling the Danish embassy/consulate to ask and confirm before leaving Albania.

  Dimitra wrote @ March 28th, 2014 at 19:07

Hi I am greek and I live in Germany. I am going to fly to Polland Poland but for the very first time flying company asks for the expiry date of my ID as an obligatory field. In my greek ID there is no expiration date, there is only the date, the issue date. Is there any solution or I should cancel my flight?

Kat Reply:

As it says above in section ‘Expiration date,’ the Greek ID expires 15 years from the date it was issued.

There are people who somehow managed to travel with Greek IDs that are old or have photos from when they were teenagers, but (as you can see in Comments above) others did not and were asked for a Greek passport instead.

Whether you cancel or keep your plans is a personal decision, as I cannot be responsible or held accountable.

  Jay wrote @ May 10th, 2014 at 12:39

I would like to know if I register my name in my parents ikogeniaki meritha will I get my taftotita before the army calls me for duty. The reason is that I would like to travel and work in the EU till they call me for duty. I was born in the USA and I did travel to Greece offen sometimes stayed for longer then I was supposed to but I registered for a athia paramonis at the police station. I came and gone with no problems.

Thank you for responding back. So if I’m registered only with the oikogeneiaki merida I can’t get a taftotita when I go to Greece?

What if I got a AFIM AFM? Is it ok to get that personal number before registering with them?

Kat Reply:

To get a Greek national ID, you must have Greek citizenship. To get Greek citizenship, you must already be registered in the oikogeneiaki merida and with the military. Since it could take months or years to finish the Greek citizenship process, of course this will be completed well before you’re eligible for a Greek ID.

When the military calls you up depends on the waiting list. Nobody knows when.

A Greek ID can be issued right away, IF all documentation is submitted correctly. However, issuance can be refused or delayed if records show irregularities or outstanding fines, holds and violations.

2 & 3:
Repeating my first answer and quoting the first sentence of the article above: “Everyone with Greek citizenship is entitled to a Greek national ID.” No citizenship, no national ID card. See the definition of ‘national‘ at Merriam Webster.

An AFM is a Greek tax number and has nothing to do with citizenship or residency.

  Vitaliy wrote @ June 2nd, 2014 at 15:59

Can I come in go to the uk with my Greek id cart card with Latin litters letters and I can bring my driver license like second id and my bank card, I’m reed many web said and I not find any answer. My Greek passport is no valid and I need wait for new one 3-4weeks, my girl friend have a bird day birthday and live in London and I’m reed in uk border said for travel need passport or ID card. (or) wot what is this? If some one comes in uk with Greek id please help mi with info!

Kat Reply:

Please see section, “Can I use my Greek ID to travel to/from the UK?” in addition to all replies given to commentators who asked the same question. All best.

  Eleni wrote @ October 23rd, 2014 at 10:20

Your comment was moved to “Greek passport.”

  Paschalis wrote @ November 2nd, 2014 at 21:17

Hi there i would like to know i have the old Id card wic one it in top of the page can be used or need urgently to apply the old one thank you

Kat Reply:

You didn’t provide enough information for me to give an answer specific to your situation. Read sections ‘Expiration date’ and ‘Can I still travel within the EU/Schengen with my old ID card?’

  Niko wrote @ November 18th, 2014 at 00:50

I am a non-EU citizen whose father is Greek. I applied for the Greek nationality in the Greek embassy of my country and they gave me 90 days “homogeneous” visa in order to go to the police station in Greece and to apply there for the nationality. Is this ID card what should I apply for?


Kat Reply:

If you want an answer specific to you, you need to provide specific details. To help you, I would have needed to know: a) your current citizenship; b) which is “my country”; c) where you are in the Greek citizenship process; plus the ability to look at your file and visa.

Also be aware that nationality and citizenship are different things, and the Greek national ID card (taftotita) and Greek nationality are different things.

The only people familiar with your case is you, the Greek embassy and the Greek government. Therefore, you need to inquire with staff at these places if you don’t know the answer yourself. My taxes pay for them to help you.

  Steen wrote @ December 20th, 2014 at 12:00

Your comment/question was moved to “Greek citizenship by claim of ancestry,” which is the same link mentioned in the above article.

  Frank wrote @ January 4th, 2015 at 20:16

How is it possible for a Indian who has resided in Greece for 20 years to obtain Greece nationality to travel to the U,K,

Kat Reply:

On Greek citizenship, see “Ways to get Greek citizenship,” the same link offered in the above article under section ‘Non-citizen residents of Greece.’

On traveling to or working/residing in the UK, which has nothing to do with Greece, see “Check if you need a UK visa” from the UK government website, which I found via a Google search.

  Andi wrote @ January 18th, 2015 at 20:26

Your comment/questions were transferred to the post, “Greek passport.”

  andreas wrote @ January 26th, 2015 at 09:44

Can i travel ro greece from cyprus with my old greek id ? I didnt make the new one yet

Kat Reply:

You can try, but technically the old style Greek ID is invalid and the airline and Cyprus aren’t obliged to honor it. Many people who get away with using old Greek IDs have them checked by ignorant border authorities.

Getting a new Greek ID only takes a few minutes and costs next to nothing.

  Eleni wrote @ March 12th, 2015 at 17:42

hello my name is eleni im in greece i was planing to go to the usa recently but 3 days before the flyte i lost my greek ID and passport.
i just got my new greek ID but going to get my passport i was told that seince it was not expired i need atlist three months so now im planning to go to my brother in th UK or my sister in Germany. SO MY QUESTION IS :
Can i travel to the uk with my ID
If not how about Germany just with my greek ID

Thank you so much for your help. im sorry for asking the same question but i was panicing for the loss of my passport. very grateful for people like you helping others in such a nice and simple way for us to understand.

many thanks again Eleni

Thank you in advance

Kat Reply:

Because you have the newest version of the Greek ID, you should be fine to travel to Germany.

As it says in the article above and previous comments, UK authorities have refused to recognize Greek IDs and instead asked for a passport. But this is not consistent, and I don’t know the circumstances of each case. They have the right to ask for either one.

Don’t be sorry, I understand how it is with all things Greece. It can be confusing, things change without warning or notice, and sometimes it’s good to get some reassurance. It’s a pleasure to help nice people like you. Travel safe! :)

Your comment

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>