Living in Greece

A practical guide to moving, living, working & traveling in Greece, plus musing and misadventures from an American in Athens

Countries that enjoy visa-free travel to Greece

EU/Schengen passport control –

All citizens from EU and Schengen countries enjoy travel to Greece without a visa, plus certain non-EU citizens from countries with which Greece has signed an agreement.

Visas are determined by your passport and your citizenship only. Marriage to an EU/Greek citizen and/or the passport of your spouse does not matter; blood relationships also do not matter.

Travelers should have a passport or other travel document valid for at least three (3) months past the intended departure date.

All citizens from these countries do not need a visa to visit or travel to Greece.

*Article last updated January 2, 2015. However, answers in Comments reflect a person’s specific case and whatever laws were in effect at the time.

Schengen member states as of January 2015

Citizens of 26 Schengen member states do not need a visa.

Czech Republic
France and Monaco

EU countries

Citizens from these EU countries that are not part of Schengen may also visit Greece without a visa.

Croatia as of July 1, 2013
United Kingdom

Non-EU Countries

Citizens of the following non-EU countries can travel to Greece without first getting a Schengen or national visa from the Greek consulate/embassy and can stay a maximum of 90 days within any 180-day period as a tourist. During this time, (s)he is not permitted to work in Greece or any EU/Schengen country without first securing a work permit; and (s)he is not permitted to stay longer than 90 days in any 180-day period without first applying for a residence permit.

If you are not a citizen from one of these countries with the proper passport, and you do not have a residence permit from the EU or Schengen countries listed in previous sections, stop now. You need a visa.

Albania (biometric passport holders, as of December 15, 2010) *There are reports of discrimination at the border.
Antigua and Barbuda (added May 29, 2009)
Bahamas (added May 29, 2009)
Barbados (added May 29, 2009)
Bosnia (biometric passport holders, as of December 15, 2010)
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Holy See (State of the Vatican)
Hong Kong (blue and red passports)
Macao (holders of Região Administrativa Especial de Macau)
Macedonia/FYROM (as of December 19, 2009; reports of discrimination at land border)
Mauritius (added May 29, 2009)
Moldova (biometric passport holders, as of April 27, 2014)
Montenegro (biometric passport holders, as of December 19, 2009)
New Zealand
St. Kitts and Nevis (added May 29, 2009)
San Marino
Serbia (biometric passport holders, as of December 19, 2009)
Seychelles (added May 29, 2009)
South Korea
Taiwan (only holders of passports containing an ID number as of January 11, 2011)
Turkey (Green passports only, as of July 28, 2010; certain persons who are members of associations and sports clubs. Visa-free travel for Turkish citizens was discussed in March 2013, but nothing approved.)
United States

Turkish citizens may also visit the islands of Chios, Kastellorizo, Kos, Lesvos, Rhodes and Samos for 15 days without a visa between May and October for 2013 (Kathimerini, Agelioforos). Pilot program in 2012 ended September 8. Many travelers said that the “visa-free” process was highly bureaucratic and the same as applying for a Schengen visa (Today’s Zaman).

Future visa-waiver candidates

The European Union has proposed that the following nations enter visa-free status in the future.

China                           Saint Lucia
Colombia                     Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Dominica                       Samoa
Grenada                         Solomon Islands
Kiribati           Timor-Leste
Marshall Islands                   Tonga
Micronesa                          Trinidad and Tobago
Nauru                          Tuvalu
Palau                            United Arab Emirates
Peru                         Vanuatu

As of last update, citizens from these countries still need a visa and should apply at the relevant consulate/embassy. Citizens should not depend on news sources that report hopes, votes, agreements and approvals, which is the not the same as official real-life implementation.

Frequently asked questions

1. If you have a residence/work permit 

In general, non-EU citizens of any nationality with a valid, unexpired residence/work permit/card or permission to stay in an EU or Schengen member state listed above can travel to Greece without a visa for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

You are encouraged to contact local authorities — usually the interior ministry, border agency or immigration center — about what your residency/work permit entitles you to do; and/or the Greek embassy/consulate of your current country of residence to confirm if you need a visa to visit Greece. Why confirm? Because people in online forums make mistakes, the EU is not one country, and it is impossible to know the different and ever-changing laws governing hundreds of permits and visas issued in 27 separate countries and what rights are granted to those who hold them.

2. If your country is not on the list

If your country is not on any of the lists above and you do not live in the EU with a residence/stay permit, you are required to go to the Greek consulate/embassy and apply for a non-immigrant Schengen or national visa that grants you entry, so a sticker or vignette may be placed in your passport. You must inquire directly with official staff regarding:
a) If you need an appointment,
b) opening hours,
c) documents you need to bring,
d) fees (if applicable); spouses and children of EU citizens should not be charged fees)

Click, “Greek Consulates/Embassies Worldwide” to find the one nearest you or call information or look in the phone directory.

3. If you are married or related to a Greek or EU citizen

The citizenship of your spouse, parent or child has no bearing on your travel visa status. It only matters what citizenship, passport and residency/stay permit you have and what they entitle you to do.

  • If you are a non-EU citizen living in the EU, you should have a residence/stay permit. See the above section, “If you have a residence/work permit.”
  • If you are a non-EU citizen living outside the EU and your country is not on the “Non-EU Countries” list, the citizenship of your spouse or blood relative does not grant special privileges or make you exempt from securing a visa for travel and temporary visits to the EU as a student, businessman or tourist. It only decreases the number of documents required and exempts you from paying a fee if you are the non-EU spouse or minor child of an EU citizen.

There is no such thing as a fiance(e) or spouse visa for Greece.

4. Staying longer than 90 days in Greece

EU citizens staying longer than 90 days in Greece are required to register at an alien’s bureau in cities or the local police department in rural areas to secure a permanent residence certificate. Croatian citizens need a residence/work permit to enter the labor market in Greece through July 2015.

Non-EU citizens with plans to immigrate permanently to Greece or work in Greece must consult with the Greek consulate/embassy in their current country of residence to understand if a special ‘D’ visa is needed — do not rely on a friend, relative or forum, or you may receive improper advice, enter an illegal status, be fined, jailed and/or forcibly deported to your homeland. Upon landing in Greece, you are required to apply for a work and/or residence permit within 30 days.

If you intend to work illegally in Greece or do not have an avenue to get a permit, which is explained in “How non-EU citizens can get a permit to move, live and work in Greece,” please see “Overstaying a 90-day visa in Greece” to understand possible penalties.


Visa requirements for nationals of non-EU member countries” — EU portal
EU abolishes entry visas for Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia” – Deutsche Welle
Albanians, Bosnians celebrate visa-free travel to Greece and Schengen” — Reuters
EU looks at lifting visa for Chinese, Russians” — AFP
Visitors from Turkey may visit Greek islands visa-free under pilot program” — AMNA
Turkish visitors can acquire visas at ports” — Greek News Agenda
Visitors from Turkey can visit Greek islands” — Kyiv Post
EC proposes visa-free travel for citizens of 16 island nations” — European Commission Press Release
Russia, EU move toward visa-free travel” — Reuters

Related posts

Non-EU travelers need 50 euros a day
How Americans/non-EU citizens can move, live and work in Greece
Summer jobs in Greece

Photo from


  Viktor wrote @ July 5th, 2009 at 08:35

Hello ! i’m non-EU citizen have 2 weeks Greece Schengen travel visa and have plan to sail from Turkey to first anchor Limnos. Where can i find passport control office to stamp “entry” ? the last Greece anchor plan Samos, the same question – where can i find to stamp “exit” ?

many thanks for any advice about passport control for non-EU sailing around Greek islands.

best regards, Viktor

Kat Reply:

Hi Viktor. This is an excellent question, and thank you for asking. As I understand, you need to fly a courtesy Greek flag and ‘Q’ flag until Port Authorities in Limnos (port of entry) come board and check the ship’s papers and your passport. They’ll issue a Transit Log that allows you to sail in Greek waters, and it may be inspected by Port Authorities in other places you land. However, Immigration will not stamp passports on entry to Greece or on exit when abroad a private boat/yacht.

  dennis wrote @ July 17th, 2009 at 16:49

please can somebody in serbia and montenegro travel to greece without visa?

Kat Reply:

Do you see Serbia and Montenegro on the visa-free list? No. Then the answer is no. Please read more carefully or future questions will be deleted per my policy.

  Constantine wrote @ July 24th, 2009 at 19:55

The section “If you are married to a Greek or EU citizen” is incomplete – it’s worth mentioning that being married to an EU citizen gives you the right to preferential treatment in getting tourist visas for visits up to 90 days. Spouses of EU citizens can get tourist visas for free, without the need of presenting an itinerary or proof of funds. Depending on the consulate involved, you may not need to have a health insurance as well.

Kat Reply:

It is not incomplete. By law, EU directive and in theory, spouses of EU citizens should enjoy preferential treatment. However, in reality this is not necessarily true, and I can give at least two dozen examples in my circle alone where that was not the case.

In short, “it depends” on several factors like many things concerning Greece. This is one reason I encourage people to check directly with the Greek Consulate or Embassy, and I point out that “results may vary” in my Warning and Disclaimer.

  Margaret wrote @ August 9th, 2009 at 08:40

Please note that the Bahamas was added to the visa-free list effective 2009.

Kat Reply:

You’re right. A number of countries were added on May 29, 2009 to the Schengen visa-waiver list, and I amended all relevant articles accordingly. Thank you for pointing it out.

  patricia wrote @ January 22nd, 2010 at 20:37

Somos chilenos e iremos de vacaciones y tb pasaremos por Grecia unos días ,donde me dirijo para obtener la visa turística en el aeropuerto de Atenas ?,gracias

We are Chileans who will be going on vacation in Greece for a few days, where can I obtain a tourist visa in the Athens airport? Thank you.

Kat Reply:

No necesita la visa turística para Grecia. Disfrute sus vacaciones!

You do not need a tourist visa for Greece. Enjoy your vacation!

  Nancy wrote @ December 1st, 2010 at 12:16

I have a student visa for a whole year in greece, it is different from my friends who only get for three months. I will stay in greece about four months to finish my classes, so should I apply for a residence permit?

Kat Reply:

The student visa entitles you to live in Greece, without applying for a residence permit. If it is a multiple-entry visa, then you can travel outside and re-enter for as many times as it lists. However, if it is a single-entry visa and you plan on traveling and re-entering Greece a second or third time time, then you need to apply for a residence permit.

You would also need to apply for Greek residence permit if you plan on working in Greece. A student visa entitles you to a residence permit allowing you to work part time for up to 6 months. But if you have no plans to work here, no need to apply for a permit. Just enjoy yourself.

Thank you for your question. It was a good one.

  Nancy wrote @ December 22nd, 2010 at 15:49

Thanks for your answer! One more question, my student visa is D type, I think it is not schengen, because I cannot find “schengen”, so can I travel around?

Kat Reply:

It should say clearly if it is Schengen.

If it is not a Schengen visa, then it is a national D visa that only allows you to travel to/from/within Greece. Therefore, you must secure visas from the consulate or embassy representing the country to which you would like to travel. For example, if you wish to travel to Italy, you must go to the Italian embassy/consulate in Greece and apply for a visa.

  Nancy wrote @ January 16th, 2011 at 18:45

Hi Kat – at the risk of getting yelled at – honest – I have read and re-read your fantastic articles – but still need clarification on a Schengen question. Forgive me – but you have a remarkable gift for being crystal clear and writing on arcane laws in a digestible way. As you and I both know, if I ask the Greek consulates, I will get various answers – your answers are clearer and more reliable.

I am a Canadian citizen (retired/independent means). I go to Greece annually – from 1 to 3 months at a time (for 25 yrs now). Last year, I started the process to buy land and am in the process for getting approved for that by the Grk govt. I am going to spend 76 days in Crete this winter. Feb 17 to May 4. I may want to come back in October to oversee the building progress. My confusion is over whether I have to stay out 90 days or 180 days. By October, 180 days will not have passed – does that mean I only have 14 days on that original 90 that started in February? Or will I be Ok. I am entering and exiting the Zone through Frankfurt.


Kat Reply:

Hi Nancy,

Please understand that I am firm with people who have plagiarized, slandered, threatened or heckled me previously — usually for not being Greek — and (ironically) used my information. And even then, I’m still nice. My policy says I delete redundant questions, but I often show forgiveness, publish them anyway and repeat myself. I may soon enforce the policy as written because I cannot continue to stay up until 3 a.m. to help people. It’s not necessary to compliment me to receive help.

The Schengen rule is a maximum of 90 days in any 180-day period. The 180 days starts on the day you enter the Schengen zone. Assuming your Frankfurt layover is not the day before on February 16, your 180 days starts running on February 17. That means you can stay in Schengen (including Greece) for a maximum of 90 days until August 17, which is 180 days from February 17. You’re in the clear.

By the time you come back in October, the maximum 90 days in any 180-day period will not be a factor. It would only be a factor if you came back before August 17. So if you arrive on October 1, you can stay another 90 days until approximately April 1 2012, which is 180 days from October 1.

Can you see how the maximum 90 days in any 180-day period works? It’s not a matter of staying out for 90 days or 180 days. It’s a matter of how many of those 90 days was used in any 180-day period.

The itinerary you have planned will not cause you to overstay your visa in Greece, so enjoy your trip and best of luck with the house. Hope to see you here again! :)

  Rhonda wrote @ March 14th, 2011 at 12:34

My son is travelling on an Australian passport, he has spent almost 3 months in Norway. He has been told he has to leave for 3 months before he can return to any of the Schengen countries. Is this correct, is there any way he can return any earlier if he wants?

Kat Reply:

Hi Rhonda, this is true.

As I detail above, Australian passport holders can be in Schengen for a maximum of 90 days in any 180-day period. So if he’s been in Norway for 90 days, he needs to leave Schengen for 90 days before he can return. The only way around this would have been to apply for and be issued a long-stay visa before he departed Australia and/or qualified for a residence permit in Norway or another Schengen country to stay longer.

If he tries to come back sooner, he will almost certainly be denied entry.

He could stay longer than 90 days, but he’ll be fined for overstaying his visa upon leaving Norway/Schengen and penalties are quite steep, plus possible blacklisting up to five years.

  Keynan wrote @ March 19th, 2011 at 13:01

I’m holding a somali passport and have a resident permit in bosnia, so can i visit in holland without visa, or i need to apply visa schengen?

please advice.

Kat Reply:

In order to travel visa-free to The Netherlands (or, as you called it, Holland), you must be a citizen and have a passport from one of the Schengen, EU or non-EU countries listed above; or have a residence permit from one of the Schengen or EU countries listed above.

Somali and Bosnia are on none of these lists. Therefore, you need to go to the nearest Dutch embassy/consulate and apply for a visa.

  Eloise wrote @ April 8th, 2011 at 23:15

Hi, I have two questions.

1) I am a South African passport holder with” indefinite leave to remain in the UK” (married to a British citizen) do I need a visa to visit Greece for a 2 week holiday? Is this the same as an unexpired residence permit?

2) If I do require a visa, am I able to get it before I book my holiday?

Thank you

Kat Reply:

Under ‘Glossary‘ and ‘Completing application SET(M) as the husband/wife of a UK citizen‘ at the UK Border Agency, it says indefinite leave to remain (ILR) is “permission to stay permanently (settle) in the United Kingdom, free from immigration control.”

Under ‘Travelling Abroad,’ it says “you are free to travel abroad and return, provided you can show the immigration officer evidence in your passport or travel document that you have indefinite leave to remain.”

Then under ‘Visas for Foreign Citizens‘ at the Greek Embassy in the UK, it says “Family members of EU/EEA/CH nationals who are holders of the relevant British residence documentation (photo) do NOT require a visa in order to enter Greece, under the condition they are accompanied by the EU citizen or they are going to join him/her.” Please click the link I gave, look at the photo and check through the list of answers to frequently asked questions. I suspect you do not need a visa for Greece, but I cannot see what residence document you have.

I found these answers with a simple Google search, even though I am not living in the UK or the spouse of a UK citizen. Take advantage of the UK’s ample resources and helpful Contact offices.

Have a nice trip!

  Alp wrote @ April 15th, 2011 at 12:22

Hi, I am holding a Turkish passport and I have a long-term residence permit for Romania, which is in EU but still non-Schengen. Does this residence permit allow me to visit Greece without visa? thank you in advance for your advice.

Kat Reply:

The answer to your question is in the article above under ‘If you have a residence/work permit.’

You provided insufficient info for me to help further, I know nothing about Romanian work permits, and I do not speak/read Romanian. Through a simple Google search, I found the Interior Ministry of Romania and a link on this page:

…which led me to this page about permits. Look under ‘Cetateni non-EU':

Contact local authorities for more information about what rights you have been granted with the permit.

  eufenil wrote @ May 6th, 2011 at 23:28

My husband and I are planning to visit greece for 1 week this coming summer. He is a cypriot but i’m from philippines, do i still need to secure a tourist visa to enter and visit greece for 1 week?

Kat Reply:

Is Philippines on the list of visa-free non-EU countries? No.

Being married to a Cypriot, see “If you are married to a Greek or EU citizen.”

  jorge wrote @ May 9th, 2011 at 15:18

Hi, I live in Usa,I am from Cuba with passport from Cuba and I have permanent residence(green card) of Usa.
I want travel to Greece for holidays. I need visa?
Thank you.

Kat Reply:

Is Cuba on the list of non-EU countries? No. Is the USA on the list of EU/Schengen countries? No. You need a visa.

  Candice wrote @ May 10th, 2011 at 23:32

Hi Kat,

My apologies for making you repeat yourself. But i am very unsure of what to do. I am a South African passport holder with Indef leave to remain in the un and been living here for 8 Years. Do i need a visa for greese if i am going on a 2 week holiday

Many Thanks for your help


Kat Reply:

You did not provide enough information for me to help you. However, If you mean the UK, then please see the same answer I gave commentator ‘Eloise’ above as she’s also a South African passport holder, holds the same type of permit and asked the same question. All best.

  Aune wrote @ May 16th, 2011 at 17:48


I am a Namibian National married to a British Citizen and in possession of a 2 year spouse visa/Residence Permit. However, I would like to know whether I need a visa to go for a week on holiday to Greece. My holiday to greece is booked already to go in a week’s time, there is no answer at the Embassy and I need clarification please, before I turn up at the airport. Please urgently advise. Thank you.

Kat Reply:

As I said to Candice and Eloise who asked the same question, I am an expert on Greece. I am not versed on UK laws or UK residence/work permits, and I don’t have time or desire to learn, so I do not know what this permit entitles you to do or if it replaces the need for a visa. Other than the Greek embassy, you can take advantage of the UK’s ample resources by following the links I provided in response to Eloise and/or inquire at the UK Border Agency Contact Offices.

The typical way to plan a holiday is to first see if you need a visa, then book tickets and accommodation, not the other way around.

  samroon wrote @ June 16th, 2011 at 22:35

i’m somlian and i live in uk i have a permanent certificate of identity travel document to stay in uk i have been in uk 3 years and 10 months i’am not yet citizen but i’m married to a citizen woman and my child is citizen too do i need a visa thankz

Kat Reply:

Please read the advice I give under, “If you have a residence/work permit” and contact the UKBA All best.

  Ruslan wrote @ July 3rd, 2011 at 14:10

Hello, i´m living in Finland by oleskelulupa A status, but this moment my documents at töyvoimatoimisto for a waithn long stay permit visa.

For me needed going to the Greece for a meeting by business trip for a short time, for 10 days-how can I get a visa?

Kat Reply:

See my answer under, “If you have a residence/work permit.” Call Finnish authorities about what your legal status entitles you to do, and call the Greek consulate/embassy nearest you to inquire if you need a visa.

  Francisca wrote @ July 5th, 2011 at 13:31

I would like to travel to Crete like tourist for one week in July. My Chilean passport is valid till the 26th of September 2011. I have a French residence card valid till 2018.

Can I travel on vacations without problem?
Thank you for your answer.

Kat Reply:

See my answer under, “If you have a residence/work permit.” Call French authorities about what your residence card entitles you to do, and call the Greek consulate/embassy nearest you to inquire if you need a visa.

Note to All: If people keep asking questions that are already answered in the article above, I will close this post to comments.

  trine wrote @ August 16th, 2011 at 23:45

Hejsa :) Min kæreste og jeg, vil gerne på en uges ferie til Grækenland. Min kæreste er fra Somalia, men har fremmedpas og permanemt opholdstilladelse i Danmark. Skal han sige Visum for at komme ind i Grækenland eller hvordan ?
Mvh Trine

Hi:) My boyfriend and I would like to go on a week vacation to Greece. He is from Somalia, but has an aliens permanent residence permit in Denmark. Should he get visa to enter Greece and how?

Regards Trina

Kat Reply:

Danish is not one of the four languages I speak or write, so please translate.

As I say in the article above under “If you have a residence/work permit,” most non-EU citizens with a permit issued by an EU country can travel to Greece without a visa. However, I advise you to confirm information with your government and the Greek embassy/consulate nearest you.

I found this with a simple Google search: Danish Immigration Agency

Embassy of Greece in Denmark:
4, Hammerensgade 3rd floor 1267 Copenhagen
Tel.: +45 33 114533

  Lucy wrote @ August 22nd, 2011 at 19:29

Hi, i am confused about one thing- i am a bulgarian naional and my husband is an Iraqi naional but he holds a valid one year residence permit card/family member/ issued by Bulgaria. Would that be enough for him to travel together with me to Greece for one day or does he need a visa? Thank you in advance!

Kat Reply:

Best answer and advice I can give is already listed under “If you have a residence/work permit.” Please confirm with local authorities.

  joseph wrote @ August 28th, 2011 at 21:04

dear sirs,
I am a canadian citzen and i hold a canadian passport however my passport expires on januray 2012. i was planing to go for vacation in greece from 10 september 2011 for 2 weeks.

Do i have to renew the passport before travelling ? i hear some countries require minimum validity of passport of 6 months. pls advise.


Kat Reply:

I’ve seen people travel with less, but technically your passport is supposed to be valid for at least three (3) months after the date of departure. So if you’re departing September 10, your passport should be valid until December 10. You’re fine. Thanks for your question.

  Rhea wrote @ August 29th, 2011 at 23:03

Hi ,
Me and my mates are going to greece for 2 weeks. I am just wondering if i still need to apply for a visa to go to greece if i am a philippines passport holder but i have a uk permanent residency visa ?
thank you

Kat Reply:

A residence visa or a residence permit? Please follow the advice I give under ‘If you have a residence/work permit.’

  gambo wrote @ December 5th, 2011 at 02:10

i am from africa with ghana passport but i have romania citizenship do i need visa to go greece??

Kat Reply:

Question is already answered in the above article.

  dee wrote @ March 31st, 2012 at 18:21

Hi i am british and my husband is from jamaica, but has the indefinate stay to remain in the uk stamped in his passport. we wish to travel to greece for 6 days on holiday,

but does he need a visa to enter, greece

Kat Reply:

Quoted from the section ‘If you have a residence/work permit':

“The EU is not one country and it is therefore impossible for me to know the different and ever-changing laws governing every permit issued in 27 separate countries and what rights are granted to those who hold them. You are encouraged to contact local authorities — usually the interior ministry, border agency or immigration center — about what your permit entitles you to do; and the Greek embassy/consulate of your current country of residence to verify if you need a visa to visit Greece.”

Please contact the UKBA or the Greek Embassy in London to confirm.

  emannuel wrote @ April 21st, 2012 at 01:51

hi i have a ghanian passport ive been living in the uk for about 20 years as i have been given leave to remain in the united kingdom for an indefinate period my partner is greek and would like to to go greece for a holiday for about 3-4 nights do i need a visa?many thanks

Kat Reply:

Please read the answer I gave ‘Dee’ right above you.

  anouk wrote @ May 6th, 2012 at 23:30

im a south african citizen. living in the netherlands for 10 years now!
i have a perminent residence permit. Passport got stolen couple of months ago, i have a emergency passport now valid for a year!
original passport takes 35 weeks to be processed!
am i allowed as a permanent resident of the netherlands with an emergency pasport to travel without visa to greece?
can you answer asap? that would be great!

Kat Reply:

I do not know what an emergency passport entitles you to do. Please seek advice from the SA embassy/consulate. Do you need a visa for Greece? Please see my advice under “If you have a residence/work permit.”

  sheryl wrote @ May 7th, 2012 at 14:29

Hi I’m a filipina, I have working permit here in cyprus and I would like to have 10-15days holiday in greece? do I need to apply vist visa for greece. can u also kindly write the requirements ill be needing to visit greece? do I still need certification or any kind of letter from my employer here in cyprus..thank u..


Kat Reply:

Please see my advice under “If you have a residence/work permit.” All best.

  billy wrote @ May 14th, 2012 at 13:19

i am from cameroon married to a bulgarian
i have a resident card and i would like to visite cyprus and greece
do i need a visa?
which countries more can i visit visa free
thanks in advence

Kat Reply:

You did not provide enough information — I do not know which residence card you have, what it entitles you to do or where you live. You or your spouse can ask local authorities where your permit allows you to travel or call the Greek embassy/consulate nearest your residence, as it says in the article above.

  Kat wrote @ May 22nd, 2012 at 18:17

Your article is very helpful and explains a lot, but i guess, every case is unique. I’ve got a few points mentioned in your article which are clear to me separately, but I can’t work out how it works if a few different ones apply. I understand that I need a VISA to go on holidays to Greece as I’m from Russia. The only thing is that I do have a Student TIER 4 visa in the UK which has a “residence permit” remark on it. I’m going to travel with my husband who’s from Republic of Ireland – which is EU. Could you, please, tell me if I still need a VISA???

Thank you very much,

Best regards,


Kat Reply:

Traveling with your spouse grants no special privileges as stated in the first sentence of ‘If you are married to a Greek or EU citizen.’

Under ‘If you have a residence/work permit,’ please see advice given in the second paragraph. All best.

  Sandy wrote @ May 28th, 2012 at 01:17

Hi, I am an Indian passport holder, Permanent UK residence permit, living here for 16 years (in Glasgow, full time employed etc), married to a UK citizen. Planning to go to Greece in July with wife and two kids. A bit confused as to visa regulations. Will I need to get a Schengen visa even though my wife (UK passport holder) is accompanying me? thanks for your help.

Kat Reply:

Please see the same answer I gave ‘Kat’ right above you.

  james wrote @ May 29th, 2012 at 18:28

Hi i please like to ask you i was born in greece 52 years ago live in australia now from 1971 both of my parents a deceased i hold a australian pasport and iam also australian citizen have i lost my rights in greece due been australian citizen ? as i get stories that i may have lost any rights now please could you help me understand as i left chalkida evia when i was 11 years old and i dont know where i stand as to how long i can stay in my birth place thank you for your help wait for your kind reply.

Kat Reply:

In reading your question, I could not understand what “rights” you mean — travel, visa, health coverage, citizenship?

If you were a sketo Australian citizen, you are allowed 90 days stay in any 180-day period the Schengen zone, which includes Greece.

However, because you were born in Greece and have Greek parents, it’s possible you are a Greek citizen, can renew your Greek passport and stay indefinitely as you are past the age of military draft. There’s no way for me to know based on the information you gave, though you could find out by accessing your oikogeneiaki merida located (possibly) in Chalkida.

Australia and Greece allow dual citizenship, so you could not have lost one or the other for this reason.

  victor wrote @ June 8th, 2012 at 14:47

Hi, i am a Nigerian, i am living in cyprus with my family, i have Cyprus residence permit, and my wife is from E-U, i want to travel to Greece for ten days[10] my question is, do i need a visa?

Kat Reply:

As it says in the article above, you need to inquire with the Greek embassy in Cyprus on whether you need a visa and/or the interior ministry of Cyprus about what your residence permit entitles you to do. There’s no way I can know the laws and rights of thousands of permits issued in the EU.

  Stanley wrote @ June 11th, 2012 at 15:16

My name is stanley i am from Nigeria and i live in Greece 4 yrs, i married a Romania woman (my wife) and have a VOC resident paper waiting in Greece, and i applied for a visa in Romanian embassy and they give me a 90 days visa D as a family, now i am in Romania with 5yrs Resident permit and remaining one month visa. so my question is can i travel back to greece only me without my wife with a remaning visa or my 5yrs permit? thanks, waiting to hear from you

Kat Reply:

As I say in the article above, you need to inquire with the Greek embassy in Romania on whether you need a visa and/or the Romanian interior ministry on what your resident permit entitles you to do.

Kat is a woman’s name, so I am not a sir.

  Janet wrote @ June 18th, 2012 at 18:59

My Mom is booked to come with me to Greece for three weeks, I am a UK citizen and my mom is a South African Citizen but with settlement in the UK and leave to remain in the UK, does she need a Shengen Schengen Visa for Greece? its all so confusing, i have read and re-read. Please can you help, i would be eternally gratefull.
Thanks so much
Janet xx

Comment 2:
Thanks so so much for your help, I eventually tracked down the SA embassy in Athens and if my mom is travelling with me( UK / EU passport holder) and she has a UK/EU leave to remain/settlement UK permit, she does not need to have a shengen Schengen visa for Greece or any other Shengen Schengen State.
Thanks again and thanks for your wonderful Website.

Best Wishes

Janet xxx

Kat Reply:

Answer 1:
As I say above, her citizenship and type of permit are the only factors that determine whether she needs a visa. To answer your question, you need to consult the Greek embassy nearest you or ask the UKBA if her permit allows it.

I cannot give more specific information because I’ve never lived in the UK and it’s impossible for me to learn laws governing thousands of permits issued in countries worldwide. It’s the same answer I’ve given in the article and to other UK commentators asking the same questions.

Wishing you all the best.

Answer 2:
What you were told is only partially correct, which isn’t a surprise since SA staff have no expertise on UK permits. Your mother need not be traveling with you if her permit allows it, and you will be standing in separate lines for passport control — you’ll be in the EEA/EU line, and she in the non-EEA/EU line.

Have a good trip!

  Nursen wrote @ June 26th, 2012 at 12:48

I hope you are doing fine.

I am a spouse of British Citizien and I have an indefinite leave to remain in the UK. My nationality is Turkish.

I would love to travel to Greece for a week with my husband but I am not really sure whether I need a schengen Visa or not to get in Greece.

I would be happy if you help me.

Many Thanks

Kat Reply:

Please see the section, “If you have a residence/work permit.”

It’s the same answer I gave to the same/similar questions concerning non-EU citizens connected to EU citizens in the UK. See commentators above you: Janet, Sandy, Kat, Emmanuel, Dee, Rhea, Samroon, Aune, Candice and Eloise.

All best.

  Kat wrote @ June 26th, 2012 at 13:26

If you have a question, you have three options:
— See the section “Frequently Asked Questions” in the article above.
— If living in an EU country, contact or visit the web page of the border agency, interior ministry or immigration department to understand what your residence/work/stay permit entitles you to do.
— If living anywhere outside Greece, contact or visit the web page of the Greek embassy/consulate nearest you to confirm if you need a visa.

I opted to close Comments after 25 of 36 questions received were redundant. I run this website in my unpaid spare time, and it needs to be used efficiently.

Thank you :)

Sorry, comments are closed at this time.