Greece ranked third unhappiest in EU

Sad faceDenmark, Finland and Ireland are home to the happiest people, while Italy finished at the bottom just behind Portugal and Greece.

Dr. Luisa Corrado, who led the University of Cambridge poll of 20,000 respondents said, “The survey shows that trust in society is very, very important. The countries that scored highest for happiness also reported the highest levels of trust in their governments, laws and each other.”

Well that explains it, doesn’t it? Greece is one of the most corrupt countries, ranks 3rd on the terror list and is the EU’s most prolific violator of laws and directives.

Happiest Top 5

1. Denmark
2. Finland
3. Irish
4. Sweden
5. Netherlands

Unhappiest Top 5

1. Italy
2. Portugal
3. Greece
4. Germany
5. France

Click here to read about the award-winning report on the BBC.

Greece vs. EU and USA: Health Care
Doing business in Greece vs. the EU, Canada, Australia and USA
Benefits of living abroad in the EU vs. USA

melusina wrote @ April 18th, 2007 at 23:15

Well, we know why the Netherlands are in the top five happiest list. ;)

Still, I never tend to equate my overall happiness with the adeptness of the government under which I am living. I might if I were living in a completely oppressive society, but aside from a major irritation in politics – both here in Greece and at home – I don’t consider that it hampers my happiness.

But maybe I’m wrong, I just don’t realize it.

Kat wrote @ April 19th, 2007 at 10:23

;) Yeah, anyone want a brownie?

I talk to some people, and you’d think they were eating dirt, never going out and earning 100 euros a month. Then it turns out they’ve got an apartment their parents bought them, out nearly every night, earning double my salary. I spent 5 weeks in India where people ate very little, slept in mud huts and earned less than 1 euro a day. And they are happy!

Indeed Mel, you’re a wise woman. Happiness IS a state of mind. :D

Megan wrote @ April 19th, 2007 at 14:34

How shocking that Germany is number four. :-) I would have expected them to come in ahead of Greece. Half-empty-glass-mentality is a national pastime.

christina wrote @ April 20th, 2007 at 09:14

Oh oh. But I can’t say the rankings surprise me, especially for Germany. And after just a short visit to a tiny slice of Denmark, I can also imagine how the Danes got their top position on the list. It has a lot to do with the mentality of the country, I think.

Great news about the inflatable bananas though! That should at least make *some* people in Greece happy. :-)

Ann wrote @ April 21st, 2007 at 12:13

Doesn’t surprise me that Italy made pole position. True happiness is a state of mind, but when the state of the country is in such a mess, tends to have a trickle effect. If one is able to find a full-time PERMANENT job, average salary, 800 euros a month, apartment paid for by mommy and daddy, if not living with them everything paid of course.

Kat wrote @ April 21st, 2007 at 13:44

Megan – I actually thought Greece would place second behind Italy. You should see the drama and turmoil that ensues after waiting 30 seconds for a coffee or not smoking for 30 minutes. I’d hate to see these people if something truly traumatic happens.

Christina – My friends in Denmark have no complaints, except that the cost of living is so high, which I suspect is part of the reason quality of life is quite good.

Ann – Greece, like Italy, has a high unemployment rate with the minimum set at 600 euros a month, and a bunch of 30ish children who choose not to accept a job they feel is beneath them. Anyway, they’ve no reason to work when everything is provided for them. I hear you, I’ve had a hard time staying positive over years of constant bureaucracy and mistreatment as a “foreigner.” Nevertheless, it’s helped me develop iron-clad patience and increased gratefulness for small things. ;)