Living in Greece

A practical guide to moving, living, working & traveling in Greece, plus musing and misadventures from an American in Athens

Countries that require a visa for Greece

Schengen VisaCitizens from these countries need a visa for Greece

Albania — Non-biometric passport holders ³
Bolivia ¹
Bosnia — Non-biometric passport holders ³
Burkina Faso
Cape Verde
Central African Republic
Cote D’Ivoire
Democratic Republic of Congo
Dominican Republic
Equatorial Guinea
Marshall Islands
North Korea
Northern Marianas (islands)
Papua New Guinea
Sao Tome and Principe
Saudi Arabia
Sierra Leone
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sri Lanka
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
Turkey (all citizens except green passport holders from July 28, 2010)²
United Arab Emirates**

(1) Visa requirement for Bolivian nationals imposed from April 1, 2007

(2) As of July 28, 2010, Turkish citizens with green passports are permitted to visit Greece in summer without a visa thanks to a bilateral Turkish-Greek agreement signed on May 10, 2010. Visa-free travel from Turkey to Chios, Kastellorizo, Kos, Lesvos, Rhodes and Samos runs from May to October for 2013 (Kathimerini). Previous program ended September 8, 2012; and an understanding was signed to accelerate the liberalization of requirements in March 2013.

(3) Albanian and Bosnian citizens may travel visa-free to Greece, only if they have biometric passports.

*Russia and Greece signed a protocol for a future visa-free regime in December 2012, but it is NOT yet in effect. (With recent events in 2014, it may never be). — GTP, RIA Novosti

**European Parliament unanimously endorsed a proposal to grant UAE citizens visa-free access to most of Europe, but it is not yet in effect. — EuroParl Press Release, The National

***Peru and Colombia were approved by European Parliament to join visa-free list, but it is not yet in effect. — EuroParl Press Release

Article last updated January 2, 2015


Palestinian Authority
Taiwan — Only Taiwanese with passports containing an ID number may travel visa-free to Greece and Schengen for 90 days in any 180-day period as of January 11, 2011. Everyone else needs a visa.

Those not recognized as British citizens

• British Overseas Territories Citizens Who Do Not Have The Right Of Abode In The United Kingdom
• British Overseas Citizens
• British Subjects Who Do Not Have The Right Of Abode In The United Kingdom
• British Protected Persons

Questions and Answers

Do I need a visa for Greece?


If you (the visa applicant) are a citizen of one of the countries and entities listed above, you generally need a visa to enter/exit Greece for any reason (tourist, work, business).

How and where do I get a visa for Greece?

If your country is listed, the visa applicant needs to apply for a visa in person at the Greek consulate or Greek embassy nearest his/her residence. They will assess your status, tell you what papers are needed, and issue you the appropriate visa necessary for your trip or stay in Greece. Some may require a short interview before visa issuance.

Do not take advice from articles written by lawyers, a forum, friend or relative because requirements vary by country/citizenship and individual.

Click “Greek Consulates/Embassies Worldwide” to find out when they’re open and follow the application process. You cannot apply online or by post/mail, and the hiring of a lawyer or third party service is unnecessary and may cause delays or do more harm than good.

How much does a Greek visa cost?

Depends on where you are and what visa you get. Contact the Greek consulate/embassy.

By law and in theory, non-EU/EEA spouses and family members of EU/EEA/Greek citizens are exempt from paying fees. However, the law may not be applied due to issues of transparency, variable knowledge and flexible implementation by Greece and its authorities.

How much money will I need to show?

Some non-EU citizens are required to show 50 euros a day for the length of their stay. Others may be asked for more. There is no set amount, as it varies by applicant, country, status and type of visa.

How long does it take to get a visa for Greece?

Depends. On what?
1)  You — Whether your background is clean, if you meet eligibility, which visa you’re applying for, how well you follow instructions, how thoroughly you provide documentation requested;
2) Them — Whether it’s high season (May-September), number of visa applications being processed, number of staff on hand, working hours, how fast they work. Issuance can take from two to 15 days.

The EU says that Schengen member states should deliver a visa within 15 days, except in rare cases. Non-EU/EEA family members of EU/EEA citizens should be given faster processing.

Is there anything I can do to make the visa process go faster?

If you applied for the visa yourself, no. Just be persistent but not annoying in following up.

If you hired a third party to apply for your visa, yes. You can apply for it yourself.

Can I get a visa to stay longer than 90 days?

No, not for travel purposes. There are no Schengen visas with validity past 90 days because of the 90-day maximum stay in any 180-day period. At the 90-day mark, the law also considers someone to be ‘staying’ in Greece and not ‘visiting’ Greece. In order to stay in Greece, non-EU citizens need a residence permit. See “How Americans and other non-EU citizens can get a permit to stay in Greece.”

Yes, for purposes of study or staying in Greece without working for up to a year. Most often, these are national visas that allow the holder to only travel to/from Greece and no other country.

Why do they refuse visas?

Unfortunately, Greek consulates and embassies are not required to disclose why you are refused a visa. They are only obligated to give a reason if you are Greek origin. The most you can do is apply again in the future and hope for a different answer.

Ukrainians report that it remains difficult for them to secure visas to EU countries. A retired schoolteacher alleges the Greek consul made faces at her and punched the air in “Ukrainians face hurdles going abroad.”

I have a sponsor in Greece, does that help?

No. Greece does not grant visas or permits based solely on sponsors. You must meet other requirements.

Disclosing that you have a Greek boyfriend/girlfriend or the support of his/her family member in Greece may actually work against you because authorities fear you’ll overstay your visa or potentially immigrate. That creates suspicion.

I had a visa for Greece, and now I want another. Can I get one?


What does it depend on?
a) Type of visa you were issued previously
b) Length or duration of the visa you were issued
c) How long you stayed in Greece and/or the entire Schengen zone
d) Time that has passed since you were last in Greece or Schengen
e) Reason you were issued the previous visa and also why you need another
f) Your current eligibility.

I advise consulting with the Greek embassy or consulate. Click “Greek Consulates/Embassies Worldwide” to find the one nearest you.

What if my country is not on the list?


If your country is on the visa-free travel list and you plan on being here temporarily as only a tourist for up to 90 days in any 180-day period, you do not need a visa. Americans, Canadians, Australians and many others are included on the visa-free travel list. See, “Countries that enjoy visa-free travel to Greece.”

However, if you are a non-EU citizen with plans to study, work in Greece or permanently live in Greece, you may need a special entry, type ‘D’ visa that denotes intention to immigrate or stay an extended period past 90 days. Check with the Greek embassy/consulate nearest you. I also recommend reading, “How American/non-EU citizens can live and work in Greece.” It contains information not available anywhere else.

If you are an EU citizen, you do not need a visa for any reason and are free to move, live and work in Greece and any of the other 26 EU member states. Restrictions for Romanian and Bulgarian citizens have been removed by Greece.

What if I’m married to an EU/EEA or Greek citizen?

Visas (visiting as a tourist, businessman or student and staying temporarily) are determined by the visa applicant’s citizenship and passport status; it does not matter if the visa applicant is married to an EU/EEA citizen or has relatives (sister, brother, father, cousin, etc.) living in Greece or elsewhere in the world. There is an EU directive that grants special privileges to non-EU/EEA spouses and minor children of EU/EEA citizens and says that passage without a visa may be allowed if accompanied by the EU/EEA citizen, but Greece does not follow this directive.

A spouse’s citizenship is primarily relevant if you are applying for a visa or permit to stay, live and work permanently in Greece. In this case, you would need to enter with the visa, then apply for a residence/work permit within 30 days of arrival. However, be aware that many immigrants still come here on a tourist (Schengen/national visa), then apply for the residence permit before the visa expires.

Can I get a residence visa for Greece?

No, because there is no such thing as a residence visa. There are only national and Schengen visas.

Are there Greek marriage or fiancee visas?

No. Greece does not have a fiancé(e) or spouse visa program; an engagement is treated the same as being single. There are only two types of visas for Greece: Schengen and national. The Greek consulate/embassy nearest you handles applications and determines your eligibility and need for visas and permits.

If you do not know the difference between a visa and a permit, see “What is the difference between a visa and a permit?

What if I have a residence permit?


If you have plans to travel, visit and stay temporarily in Greece, a valid, unexpired residence/work permit/card or permission to stay issued by an EU/EEA or Schengen member state allows you to stay without a visa for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. However, you are encouraged to contact the governmental or ministerial arm that issued the permit — usually the interior ministry, border agency or immigration center — about what this residency/work permit entitles you to do; and/or the Greek embassy/consulate of your current country of residence to confirm if you need a visa to visit Greece. Why confirm? Because people in online forums make mistakes, the EU/EEA is not one country, and it is impossible to know the different and ever-changing laws governing hundreds of visas and permits issued in 28 separate countries and what rights are granted to those who hold them.

If you have plans to move and live permanently in Greece, or stay past 90 days in any 180-day period, it is possible you need both a visa and new residency permit because Greek laws are different from your current country of residence. Check with the Greek consulate/embassy for your specific case. The only time this does not apply is if you have the special long-term EU-wide permit granted to unmarried non-EU citizens who have been living and working in the EU for more than five (5) years, and have free movement privileges. A description is available at, “Long-term EU-wide residence/work permit for Greece.”


EU Europa Portal
Countries requiring or not a visa” — Ministry of Foreign Affairs
EU abolishes entry visas for Macedonia (FYROM), Montenegro and Serbia” – Deutsche Welle
Documents you need to travel” — EU
Schengen visas an obstacle for tourists to Greece” — MINA
Travel visa for Turks considered by European Court of Justice” — Der Spiegel

website metricsRelated posts

Non-EU travelers to Greece need 50 euros a day
How Americans/non-EU citizens can move, live and work in Greece
Travelers to Greece should review earthquake safety


  ashish wrote @ September 10th, 2007 at 18:30

visa required for an indian girl married to greece citizen.

Kat Reply:

Is that a question or a statement? If it’s a question, the answer is in the 2nd or 3rd paragraph, depending on what kind of visa you need.

  sean james wrote @ April 13th, 2008 at 23:14

my friend wants to come to corfu and is unsure how to do so i need to find out why,where and how to get a visa

she lives in trinidad and tobago thanx very much

Kat Reply:

As I say in the article, she must contact and go to the Greek Consulate or Greek embassy in her homeland to apply for a visa.

  Fadi wrote @ June 26th, 2008 at 17:49

Hi again kat.
Thank you for this site. i have a question please. i came to Greece in sept. 2007 on a student visa and i applied for my resident permit and they gave me a blue paper. I finished 2 semester and go back home in 9-May-2008 without getting the real permit.

Now I want to go back to Greece so I went to the embassy to apply for either tourist visa or national visa and they refused my application calming that since I have a permit ready there which was issued in early this month after I left I cannot apply for visa. So I asked them what to do, they said I have to send my passport to be stamped from Greece and this is the only way to go and complete my studies there. I told my friend to ask the municipality if he can do that they said no I have to be there. I told that to the embassy but they refused to help. They are saying that I’v should left before 31-May-2008 (allow period) and now I am stuck and don’t know what to do.

Do you have any advice? Or what can I do now.

Kat Reply:

“They are saying that I’v should left before 31-May-2008″ — Do you mean “should NOT have left?” I also don’t know what you mean by, “send my passport to be stamped from Greece.”

You are getting advice from the embassy and the municipality, and this is the right thing to do. What they say is correct. If there is a valid residence permit, you cannot get a visa. It doesn’t matter if you have it or not. And of course a friend is not allowed to pick it up for you, since you must give back the bebaiosi and sign a document saying you received the residence permit sticker or card. A lawyer can pick it up for you, but you must sign a document (dilosi) here at a Greek police station to assign them this right, then pay. As you are not in GR, I have no answers for you and I am not an attorney. This is typical Greek bureaucracy.

  George wrote @ September 16th, 2008 at 03:26

Hallo! i am a Greek citizen and my girlfriend is a philippino citizen and lives in the philippines.What is the easyest way for the girl to get a visa and come in Greece ? Is there not something like a viancee visa so she can come here and if she like it here we can marry and stay forever here ?
Do you have any advice?

Kat Reply:

Answers are already provided in the article. Please read it again.

  nathan wrote @ September 28th, 2008 at 02:02

I was a U.S. permanent resident deported to Colombia South America.Now in Colombia as a Colombian Citizen what are my chances on flying to Greece for a weeks tourist vacation ?

Kat Reply:

As I say in the article above, you need to go to the Greek embassy or consulate nearest you and apply for a visa. I am not a visa issuing authority and cannot advise you. I am simply giving you the knowledge to help yourself.

  A Abraha wrote @ January 6th, 2009 at 22:20

I have applied in greece embassy in Eritrea for tourist visa on september04,2008. Unfortunatly the embassy has refused my tourist visa to Greece.Yes I have submitted all the necessary documents required by the embassy with sufficient financial documents.So I really want to know why my visa is refused?


Kat Reply:

There’s no way I can know why, as I don’t work for them and cannot examine your file. There are many reasons to refuse a visa, and the Greek Embassy is not obligated to give you one if you are not of Greek origin. Still, you might want to call them and ask, if you haven’t already.

  john wrote @ February 1st, 2009 at 15:32

My wife and I are Canadian citizens who have lived and worked in Switzerland for eight years. We have Canadian passports, and Swiss residency permits, called B permits. Last year, we adopted a little girl from Russia. She now lives with us in Switzerland. She has a Russian passport, and a Swiss B residency permit. We would like to take a family holiday in Greece. As a resident of Switzerland, does my daughter need a visitors visa or some other kind of document to enter Greece?

Kat Reply:

Excellent question. If you or any non-EU citizen has a residence permit from Switzerland (which has a bilateral agreement with the EU) or one of the EU or EEA countries, you do not need a visa to travel to Greece or any other country in the EU or Schengen. Possession of the permit means you have already been granted permit to live legally, and are therefore entitled to rights and privileges on par with other EEA and EU residents.

Have a nice time!

  M Sydney wrote @ February 23rd, 2009 at 11:24


I’m planning on coming to Greece later this year (as an Australian citizen), to marry my fiancee … What’s the best process in terms of applying for a residency permit? Is it best done from here before I leave, or once I land? What will I need for my claim?

Great site by the way!

Kat Reply:

Bring an original long version birth certificate with apostille applied; you’ll need that to get married. The answers to your other questions are contained in, “How a non-EU citizen can move, live and work in Greece” and “Countries that enjoy visa-free entry to Greece” — both articles are listed above in the 5th question. Please read and search more carefully next time. We’ll see you over here!

  Diph Schitt wrote @ February 26th, 2009 at 19:11

Hi kat,

I’m too lazy to read your site. Can you please just email me all the info and then I’ll decide what I’d like to read later at my leisure.

Oh, great site by the way (hope this compliment helps you decide to repeat yourself and give me the info blindly).


  Pravish wrote @ March 12th, 2009 at 19:09

Hi am a Mauritian citizen living in ireland as a student visa.will a need a visa to visit Greece?and also when is the visa excemption for mauritius to enter eu be in force??

Kat Reply:

Visa-free travel for Mauritian citizens had not come into effect on the date of your comment, and the EU did not announce a date in the press release. However, Mauritius indeed entered the waiver program on May 29, 2009.

About your student visa, you need to ask Irish authorities about what your visa entitles you to do. Ireland and Greece are both in the EU, but each country retains its separate laws, permits and visas. You also did not provide enough information to make it possible for me to help you. Good luck.

  chia wrote @ March 16th, 2009 at 20:38

I have a flight booked to Athens on 19th March and we just found out that my boyfriend’s passport is expiring next week! He is an American citizen and we both live in Switzerland (with Swiss B-permits). We probably will not be able to get a passport renewal in time (we are trying at the embassy tomorrow but chances are slim). Would it actually be possible to fly to Greece and enter/exit with only his B-permit? His passport is valid flying in, but not flying back to Switzerland! (Flight tickets are non-refundable, non-changeable, damn Swiss air economy tickets).

Your advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Kat Reply:

There’s no way a passport can be renewed and issued overseas by the U.S. passport authority in three days. Even with expedited handling and an extra processing fee, it takes one-two weeks minimum since this is not a life-death emergency.

Swiss airports were scheduled to end Schengen border checks on March 1, 2009, so it’s possible your boyfriend will not be checked coming into Greece, which is also in Schengen, or going out. However, I recommend you inquire at the U.S. Embassy because it is technically illegal to travel without a valid form of ID/passport. In fact, Swiss authorities should not have issued him a permit for a validity longer than his passport, i.e., they should have either forced him to renew his passport before issuing the permit, or shortened the length of the permit to match his passport.

Though you may not have the same type of ticket, Swiss Air does have economy tickets available that can be changed for 50 euros. I know this because I’ve flown with them for 9 years and have exercised this option. So “damning” them is unjustified — it’s a matter of the choice you made, rather than the airline’s availability. Have a nice trip!

  angel wrote @ August 5th, 2009 at 15:26

Hi Kat, thank you so much for the website, its really informative. Just wanted some clarification on one subject:

I am Greek and my boyfriend is South African. We both live in the UK, not married, but he has the residence permit for 5 years as a family member of an EEA national (UK gave him that permit as we have been together for more than 2 years, as unmarried partners). The greek consulate here in UK told us that he doesnt need a visa to enter greece, but how long can he stay in greece as a tourist? more than 90days?

thanks in advance

Kat Reply:

Hi Angel, that’s right. Because he has a permit for the UK, he is not required to get a visa to visit Greece as a tourist and can be in the entire Schengen zone for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. These answers are in the article above, but I was perfectly fine to repeat this information because you were polite and offered me valuable info in return. Have a nice trip!

  Elli wrote @ September 5th, 2009 at 13:30

Hello Kat,

I assure you that i have read your wonderful web-site top to bottom and back to front. I am just a bit confused about 1 thing and have no idea about another.

I am a Canadian citizen and my boyfriend is Greek. We have been together for 5 years and were originally getting married in August of 2010. We have decided to move up the wedding date and will be getting married in 7 weeks so that we don’t have to continually split our times back and forth and are looking to settle down in 1 country (we have been lucky as we have worked on ships together most of this time).

I have all the necessary paperwork. Long form birth certificate on its way to Ministry of Foreign Affairs to be stamped as well as the paper that says that i am free to marry abroad also known in some countries as ‘non-impediment to marry’. I will have these translated when i arrive in Greece. I will make sure that i have an entry stamp in my passport as well. And of course the ad in 2 newspapers stating our intent to marry.

Question #1: I understand even from my cruise ship days that i do not need a Schengen Visa. But do i need any other type of visa prior to my arrival. I know the steps that i will take to register our marriage and everything else after but just need to know if once we are married will they say that i am missing some kind of visa.

Question #2: This one might be a stretch for me to ask your help answering….can i enter the country on a one-way plane ticket since my intent is to stay or must i have a return ticket that shows a departure out prior to my 90 days. I could not enter the USA one-way with intent to marry. Period. I would just like to know if from your knowledge this will be problematic. I will be honest…i have found a one-way ticket that is $900 cheaper than a return flight one. Money is tight and if it is legal then i will do it. It it may cause me any sort of problems then it would not be worst any sort of risk.

I thank you so very much for any help you can give me and apologize in advance if i missed something in your articles along the way.


Kat Reply:

I have an article pertaining to visa and permits for non-EU citizens marrying in Greece, but it’s password protected due to several plagiarism incidents and commentators asking the same questions. You didn’t miss anything, and I appreciate you taking the time to look. Hopefully, it was a somewhat helpful learning experience and not a waste of time.

I hope by ‘stamp’ you mean an apostille attached to your birth certificate. You only need to have proof of one marriage announcement in Greek from a local newspaper in Greece, but you’ll need two originals of that announcement (one for City Hall, one for your files); they don’t accept photocopies.

Answers to your questions:
1) A person can only have one valid visa at a time, so the answer is ‘no.’ You’re Canadian, so you have a visa-free Schengen for 90 days in any 180-day period. If you haven’t used all 90 days in the past 180 days, you’re fine; that’s enough. If you already used all 90 days in the past 180 days, then you need to ask the Greek Consulate/Embassy what can be done.
2) Since you have intent to marry within a short time after arrival in Greece, you can absolutely have a one-way ticket because you’ll apply for your permit to stay here legally as the spouse of a Greek citizen. No one is going to ask you to show a return ticket anywhere during the process. So go ahead and save some money!

I just wanted to say thank-you so very much for your quick response! You really are a very special person!

Thank you again!

  Leigh wrote @ November 4th, 2009 at 10:14


I am a South African Passport holder and living in Greece with my Husband (A Greek Citizen) for the past year. I hold a 5 year residence permit card, I also have a tax & medical number. If I want to travel to the UK do I need to apply for a visa? The laws for South Africans changed a few months ago requiring South Africans to apply for a visa to enter UK, but since I am a resident here in Greece I an not sure if this applies to me? Could you clarify?


Kat Reply:

Hi Leigh,

I think I know the answer to this question. But this is a question for the UK Embassy/Consulate because you are seeking to enter the UK, not Greece.

  sameh wrote @ November 10th, 2009 at 18:34

hi kat very nice site i hope u help me i did read all this article . i am married to greek woman i am from egypt . i want to come and live with my wife in greece forever, what shall i do ? what visa should i apply for schengen only with the paper of our marriage ? another thing, can the greek say no and not give me the visa to come ? and if they do, what can i do to live with my wife ?

Kat Reply:

sameh/raul – This may be difficult for you to understand, but hundreds of people seek my help every day. I run this website in my (unpaid) free time and have my own life, job, challenges to handle, so leaving multiple messages under different names (same IP address) will only cause me annoyance and make me want to ignore you.

Further, answers to most of your questions are already detailed above and in the article “How non-EU citizens can move, live and work in Greece,” also listed above. Therefore, you need to read them again. Please get used to it. If you make it to Greece, no one will help you once here.

As it says, you will be applying for a Schengen ‘D’ visa (in your case, based on family reunification with a Greek citizen), and they will ask for much more than a marriage certificate. Please go to the Greek Embassy/Greek Consulate nearest you and apply, as I say in the article. The Greek spouse must provide documents (tax statements, proof of current family status, insurance), and yes they can refuse to bring you into the country. There is nothing you can do if they say no.

Follow-up: You tell me, I “ignored you” and “thanks for nothing”? I could not help you or the other 12 people waiting for a reply for the past 10 days because of important events in my life. I did help you, and you were pushy, called me names and said that I wasn’t fast enough. Unbelievable. Read my policy in, “Comments, Questions and Contacting Me,” written two years ago. It states clearly what I can/can’t do.

The linked article indeed mentions Schengen ‘D’ in the visa section. Also, it’s true what I say that you cannot do anything if your Greek wife refuses to cooperate or cannot meet the requirements in issuing your visa and residence permit. Would you prefer that I lie? Plenty of other people will give you misinformation, if that’s what you want.

Why speculate about Greece saying no when you haven’t even applied at the Greek Consulate/Embassy? And if you’re already paying a lawyer for help, don’t you find it hypocritical that you’re asking me to help you for free, complaining about it and then giving the information to your lawyer who is supposed to be competent in these matters? Seems to me you should be upset with the lawyer, not me.

Thank you for your rude and ungrateful behavior. It’s people like you who make it difficult to justify staying up until 2 a.m. in the morning to help strangers I don’t know.

Please refer future questions to your lawyer, since that is why you are paying him. Your wife is also a Greek citizen and speaks Greek, so she should get used to making calls and helping you, starting now. I did everything myself without being Greek or speaking it; you should too.

Goodbye and good luck.

  Αγγελος wrote @ November 20th, 2009 at 17:51

Γεια σας, θελω να σας ρωτησω κατι, εγω ειμαι Ελληνας πολιτης και γνωρεισα μια κοπελα απο την Ταιβαν.

Αποφασησαμε να παντρευτουμε στην Ελλαδα, εδω και ενα χρονο προσπαθει η κοπελα μου να παρει βιζα αλλα το προξενειο μας στην Ταιβαν (στην Ταιβαν μας εκπροσωπει η Ισπανια γιατι η Ελλδα δεν εχει προξενειο) δεν τις δεινει,τις λεει οτι πρεπει να εχει πολλα λεφτα στην τραπεζα για να παρει βιζα.
Τι να κανω ? Μηπως μπορειτε να με βοηθησετε ?


Hello, I want to ask something, I am a Greek citizen and I know a girl from Taiwan. We decided to get married in Greece, a year ago my girlfriend tried to get a visa but the consulate in Taiwan (in Taiwan, Spain represents us because Greece doesn’t have a consulate) didn’t give it to her. They told her that we must have a lot of money in the bank to get visa.

What can I do? Could you help me?


Kat Reply:

Αγγελος –

The Greek Consulate/Embassy has the right to request proof of economic support before a visa is issued, both in cases of travelers and potential residents of Greece. See Dubai Billy’s story in “Non-EU travelers need 50 euros a day.”

When a non-EU citizen wants to marry and come to live in Greece with a Greek citizen without having significant funds/assets of her own, Greece will ask that the Greek citizen produce proof of income for both himself and his spouse because the spouse will be unemployed and therefore dependent. The minimum annual salary is 8,500 euros + 1,275 euros for each dependent (unemployed spouse or child), so that’s 9,775 euros/year in your case, AND the non-EU fiancee/spouse must be added to the Greek citizen’s insurance to cover them in Greece, which also applies to you. If the Greek citizen cannot meet these requirements, the spouse will not be issued a permit and need to leave Greece. Therefore, it only makes sense that the screening process begin before issuing a visa.

Greece asks for these things because immigrants should not be a burden on Greek systems/finances. Many countries have these requirements, not only Greece. Marriage to a Greek is not enough.

  nishu wrote @ December 1st, 2009 at 11:32

Hi, I really appreciate your good work , its really useful. i have a one question, i came from Greece three months ago, and now i want to go again. Is it possible to get tourist visa again?

I ll wait for your reply , thanks so much. God Bless and Happy Holidays :)

Kat Reply:

You did not provide enough information for me to help you. However, please see, “I had a visa for Greece, and now I want another. Can I get one?” in the above article. This addresses your question. Thank you.

  Denisse wrote @ January 11th, 2010 at 19:16

hi,i am from ecuador but i live in uk, i got my residence card and is valid for 5 years. i am married with a greek and we live in uk. if we want travel for holidays in greece do i need visa? thank you

Kat Reply:

Your question is already answered in the article above. Under the question: “What if I have a residence permit?” Any non-EU citizen with a residence permit from an EU/EEA/EFTA country, such as the UK, does not need a visa to visit Greece. It does not matter who you are married to.

Please read more carefully next time, or your question will be deleted per my policy.

  Vasileios wrote @ January 22nd, 2010 at 14:05

How much does a VISA cost…
I have a friend of mine in Moldova and i want to invite her for holidays… Can someone tell me about the prices of VISA???

Kat Reply:

This question is already answered above (3rd question). You cannot invite her (she needs to qualify on her own), and she needs to contact the Greek Consulate/Embassy in Moldova.

Warning to Everyone: Half of commentators have asked redundant questions. I will close the ability to leave questions/comments if laziness persists.

  sukanya wrote @ February 16th, 2010 at 17:08

I have been there once and i would like to turn back to Greece again. i live in Thailand. I am going to apply for Greek student visa. I am nervous because im going to apply for 1 year.

My bf is Greek, and his mom is willing to be my sponsor. i would like to see more places in Greece because of my short time traveling, I would like to go to islands.

my question is …. Would it be possible to take student visa from thailand and … Would it be easier for this time to ask for student visa? thx so looking forward to hearing from u

Kat Reply:

As it says in the post: a) you need to apply at the Greek Consulate or Greek Embassy nearest you; b) having a sponsor is pointless and disclosing that you have a Greek boyfriend may work against you; c) there is no such thing as a one-year visa.

It sounds like you’re coming here to be with a boyfriend and travel, which has nothing to do with studying.
In order to get a student visa, you need to apply and be accepted to a Greek university.

  mohammed wrote @ April 28th, 2010 at 13:19

please i am a Ghanaian passport holder with a Bulgarian visa , i want to enter Greece through the border but i dont now if i have to get a visa again for Greece before i will be allowed to enter.

Kat Reply:

You can only enter Greece with a Schengen or national visa issued by a Greek Consulate or Greek Embassy. Bulgarian visas are only good for Bulgaria.

  Jose wrote @ June 16th, 2010 at 04:08

If i’m greek and i marry a girl from Dominican Republic, can I just bring her to Greese with out a visa ?

Kat Reply:

It’s clear you didn’t read the article:

1. It says that countries on the list need a visa for any reason. Dominican Republic is on the list. Therefore, she needs a visa for any reason.
2. It says that those connected/married to a Greek/EU citizen still need to enter with a visa if it applies. See #1.

If you’re Greek, are you aware that Greece is spelled with a ‘c’?

  zewdi wrote @ June 26th, 2010 at 23:01

i wont tourist visa for greece. what can i do? i am eritrean nationality
Thanks For Your help

Kat Reply:

As it says in the article, you must go to the Greek embassy or consulate nearest you and apply for a tourist visa.

  Jo wrote @ July 1st, 2010 at 18:49

I am British and my husband is Albanian. He has been refused a Schengen visa by the Greek embassy in London, we are going to the embassy on Monday to talk to them, do you know what we can do to overturn this please? Thank you for your response :)

Kat Reply:

As it says in the article under “Why do they refuse visas?” Greek authorities are not required to give reasons why non-Greeks are refused visas. Therefore, it’s impossible to know how to overturn the unknown.

Sure, you’re welcome.

  haidar wrote @ October 7th, 2010 at 16:07

Hello i live in Mongolia and i require a visa, but in my country there is no embassy of Greece can anyone help me i really want to go to Chios.

Kat Reply:

When there is no Greek consulate or embassy in your city or country, you must contact a neighboring city or country to inquire about a visa. From my research, the Greek Embassy in Beijing handles Mongolia. See

  dave wrote @ November 4th, 2010 at 10:50

Hi kat,i have a friend who’s working as a domestic helper there in athens,greece, i asked her if i can visit greece she said i have to pay 300 euro so the greek lawyer can process my paper called parabulom once the paper come out, her employer will sign it and pay a tax of 500 euro then the lawyer will submit and wait for my visa which will take about a month.after the visa has been released i have to pay the lawyer’s fee of 300 euro so they can send my visa from greece to philippines.then i have to go to greece embassy here in the phils.

my questions are: is this how you process tourist visa good for 2 months?do i still need a greek lawyer to process my visa?does my visa will come from there?i have been searching greece embassy here in the phils but i couldnt find one, do u have it here?if ever this is all true, how much money do i need to bring?thank you in advance and i hope you can answer all my questions. reagards,dave

Kat Reply:

Hi Dave,

Without speaking to your friend, I can only guess what she’s doing based on what you told me. My guess is that she’s trying to get you a visa based on work, not on tourism. Why do I think that? A few reasons: a) parabolo (parabulom) — whenever a parabolo is involved, it usually signifies an official bureaucratic process in Greece; b) her employer — for a work visa, an employer in Greece is involved; c) sending a visa from Greece to the Philippines by a Greek lawyer — this is not necessary for a tourist visa.

You need to make contact with the Greek embassy and apply for a tourist visa through them. See, “Greek Embassy in Manila, Philippines” for the address, phone number and email address.

  helen wrote @ December 23rd, 2010 at 12:33

hi there!

good day,

im not u.s citizen yet. but i am u.s resident for 10 yrs or green card holder. i will be in israel for 12 days on jan 2011 and i want to visit greece for 3 days ,do i need to get visa for greece ?

thank u,


Kat Reply:

You did not provide enough information for me to help you, and the answer is already in the article above.

In the first question of the article, it says you need a visa if you are a CITIZEN (not resident, not green card holder) of one of the countries listed. What citizenship/passport do you have? If your country is on the list above, you need a visa for Greece and must go to the nearest Greek embassy/consulate to apply for one.

If your country is not on the list, then you do not need a visa as explained in “Countries that enjoy visa-free travel to Greece.”

  TC wrote @ February 15th, 2011 at 13:31

I am not asking for something, but i would like to complain about Greek Visa Policy. I know that you are not the authority for this :)

As a Turkish citizen, i need to take a visa to enter Greece. I think this kind of restriction between neighbouring countries should be changed. We should not take any visa. Greeks are losing a high amount of tourism income just for this visa policy. Honestly i can take a visa if i apply, but this is obviously humiliating process for applicants. They are even requesting my bank account balance or credit card movements. Instead of going to Greece, most of the people prefer going to South America. The only thing that they are doing is paying a little bit more for flight tickets. Instead of humiliation and paying the fees for visa application, they are giving the difference to buy the ticket to faraway destinations.

Kat Reply:

‘Comments’ is approximately 85 percent questions and 15 percent discussion and contributions by readers who are nice enough to give back to the website. It’s not necessary to ask something, in fact it’s a nice change for me that you don’t. :)

I can understand your frustration, especially since (as you said) Turkey shares a border with Greece, and Turkey allows Greek citizens to visit visa-free. Ironically, I listened to Greek citizens criticize me and my country for 11 years before they were allowed in the U.S. visa waiver program but in that case it was due to Greece’s inability to meet rules and requirements demanded of all countries.

In Turkey’s case, I do believe some of it is political. But on the same day you left your comment, a Ta Nea article said that steps were being taken to make it easier for Turkish citizens to acquire visas to Greece more quickly and with less bureaucracy at dedicated centers opening soon. Visa-free status was not discussed.

South America is a nice destination, with better service and cheaper food and accommodation. Maybe it’s not a bad thing.

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I must go, as it’s late.

  Holly wrote @ March 2nd, 2011 at 13:36

Hi, I’ve read that Albanian Nationals with a biometric passport can travel to Greece without a Visa, but my husband is an Albanian National on a spouse visa here in the U.K. Can he travel to visit his parents from England to Greece?

Thank you for your time

Kat Reply:

You did not provide enough information for me to give a customized answer, but all answers are already detailed above.

It doesn’t matter what UK visas he has; UK visas only pertain to the UK. Being married to you does not grant him exemptions, as I say in “If you are married to an EU citizen.” What matters is what kind of passport he has, as I say in the second sentence of the article.
— If he has an Albanian biometric passport, he may travel to Greece without a visa. Meaning, he does not need to go to the Greek embassy/consulate and apply for one.
— If he does not have an Albanian biometric passport, he must go to the Greek consulate/embassy and apply for a visa to visit Greece and his parents.
— If he has a full residence/work permit issued by the UK, he may travel to Greece with any Albanian passport in his possession without a visa as I explain in “If you have a residence/work permit.”

  Sharat wrote @ May 12th, 2011 at 06:00

First and foremost, I appreciate the advice provided in this website. Very informative.
Now, here come my problem :-(

We are Indian citizens residing in US. We plan to visit Greece and then Turkey in June. We have applied for Schengen visa (Not sure what kind of entry – single or multiple, we will be getting).

I understand that holders of valid Schengen, US and UK visa can get Turkish visa on arrival.

My question is: Assuming we are getting single entry schengen visa. After departing Greece, can we obtain turkish tourist visa at Istanbul airport or need to obtain the visa via the Turkish embassy in US in advance?
Has anyone with a single entry schengen visa obtained Turkish visa on arrival after departing from an schengen territory?

FYI.. We don’t have a US visa since we have filed for US permanent residency.

Also I heard that most schengen visa are given as multiple entry? Is is true?

Thanks in advance!

Kat Reply:

I can’t answer your question about Turkish visas because I don’t live/work in Turkey; you could do a Google search or call the Turkish consulate/embassy nearest your residence to receive official advice.

In reference to the second question: In general, a Schengen visa entitles you to unlimited travel to all countries in the Schengen zone for the time specified in any order you like as long as it’s valid, unless restrictions are listed (i.e., number of entries, countries you cannot visit, etc.). If you don’t know what kind of visa you’ll be getting, of course there’s no way for me to know either.

Follow-up: What was the point of asking me to answer these questions if you didn’t follow the advice, then posting the same questions in a forum, only to get the same answers? If you’re not going to help yourself, let me use the time to help someone else.

  subash wrote @ August 19th, 2011 at 17:41

I am Nepali citizen and live in india ,how to get greece tourist visa for 7 days and what types of requirement?i already visited singapore ,malyasia and thiland.

Kat Reply:

See, “How and where do I get a visa for Greece?” under Questions and Answers. Good luck.

  May wrote @ September 9th, 2011 at 16:48

I have a friend in Greece who invited me to visit his country for two weeks. He is willing to sponsor for my round trip tickets and all. he is not my fiancee since he is married. i was just invited for a leisure trip. is there a chance that i qualify an entry? thank you.

Kat Reply:

You didn’t provide enough information for me to assist you, and it’s fairly obvious you didn’t read the information above.

Having a sponsor will not necessarily help you get a visa, as I say in the section “I have a sponsor in Greece, does that help?” You need to qualify for a visa to Greece on your own by submitting an application, supporting documents and financial proof at the Greek embassy/consulate nearest you. Contact them now.

  Saman wrote @ November 9th, 2011 at 07:13

I came across your website while searching for Greece visas, and I have gone through a lot of the content on this page…Thanks for doing a fabulous job n helping people like us who want to visit Greece.

I dont know if I am asking the right person, but perhaps you would know this. I am a Pakistani national, living and working in Abu dhabi, UAE. I would want to visit Greece for a short break for a week. I just have 2 weeks left before my planned trip. I would like to know if it is wise to apply for a Greece visa and go ahead with the plan? Since the Greece embassy says it will take 2-3 weeks to process visas, and since my husband n I belong to Pakistan, I am not sure if visa will be granted in this stipulated time or not. As you might know, for us Pakistanis, getting visas is a big issue.

Can you advice us on this matter? We can furnish them with each and every requirement for tourist visa, but dont have any idea if that would ruin other vacation plans for us (we plan to visit Turkey, in case this doesnt work)

Thanks and Regards

Kat Reply:

There’s no way I (or anyone) can answer this question because the only way to know is if you apply for a visa and find out. As I say above in the section, “How long does it take to get a visa for Greece,” it depends on many factors, and these factors differ according to each visa applicant (you and your husband) and the location where you submit the application.

In general, applying for a visa two weeks in advance is not enough time. However, it may go faster than you think and, if you are set on visiting Greece, I urge you to make the application as soon as possible at the Greek embassy/consulate nearest you in UAE.

  Nick wrote @ November 12th, 2011 at 02:20

I am a British citizen of Greek origin and me and my wife (Nepali) live in the UK. She is staying in the UK on a UK spouse visa and NOT on a resident permit exercising her rights as a EU family member. Does she require a schengen visa to enter Greece? Will it be easier for us to get a tourist visa or a ‘EU family member’ one? Will the fact that I am of Greek origin and have a Greek surname make any difference?

Kat Reply:

You didn’t provide enough information for me to help you, so all I can give you is general information, all of it already stated above in the article.

In general, all citizens from Nepal require a visa to enter Greece for any reason, as I say under “Do I need a visa for Greece?” The fact she is the wife of an EU citizen certainly helps, but it will be based on why she is coming to Greece and if she qualifies, as I say under “What if I’m married to an EU or Greek citizen?” Your citizenship is British. It’s irrelevant whether you’re of Greek origin or have a Greek surname if you do not have Greek citizenship. If you’re between the age of 19-45, that actually may work against you since you’re considered a draft evader.

As I say above under “How and where to get a visa for Greece,” you need to go to the Greek embassy/consulate nearest your current residence and apply for a visa. They determine what visa your wife qualifies for. There’s no such thing as an EU family member or spousal visa.

  cenk wrote @ January 5th, 2012 at 10:38

im Turkish. I will apply for visa second time to Greece. The first time was for one month. Is it possible to get 6 months visa for this time ? as i ll visit Greece until summer more times. i have also invitation from my Greek friend

Kat Reply:

There’s no such thing as a 6-month tourist visa, so the answer is ‘no.’ Having an invitation from a Greek is irrelevant. Contact the Greek embassy/consulate.

  antonio wrote @ February 28th, 2012 at 00:33

I have a question.
I’m from dominican Republic and I have a permanent creend green card and I wondering if I need a visa to visit to Greece and if what could be the requirement.

thank you.

Kat Reply:

You did not provide enough information for me to help you.

If you are a citizen and passport holder of the Dominican Republic, look at the article and see if that country is on the list. Yes? You need to go to the Greek embassy/consulate nearest you and apply for a visa.

If you are a U.S. citizen and American passport holder, look at the article and see if it is on the list. No? You don’t need a visa.

  Panos wrote @ March 9th, 2012 at 02:05

I am Greek and I live and study in UK. My girlfriend is from Belarus and she wants to come in Greece in the summer for holidays. She needs to have visa. I want to know how to take her visa. We want to go to hotel. Τhe hotel can guarantee for her visa? I want to know if there are ways to obtain her visa? Thank you in advance.

Kat Reply:

Your question is already answered in the section, ‘How and where do I get a visa for Greece?’ All best.

  Toula wrote @ March 20th, 2012 at 10:43

Your comment was moved to “IKA offices in Greece.”

  Kristopher wrote @ June 28th, 2012 at 22:25

Hi, please could you advise. I am married to a ukrainian woman, I am british, we have been married 2 years and want to go to greece on holiday for 1 week. Does my wife need a visa to be able to have a holiday with me in greece? She has just gained her british citizenship and her passport documents/application has been sent for but we are aware this takes time, we are wanting to take our holiday in august 2012 so will she be able to travel on her own passport?
many thanks

Kat Reply:

Regardless of her present citizenship, I assume that your wife has an indefinite stay permit issued by UK authorities based on marriage to you or another reason if she applied for UK citizenship. This alone grants her rights to travel.

In the article above, please look at the Questions and Answers section under ‘What if I have a residence permit?’ — I explain that persons granted residency by EU/EEA member states can typically travel and stay up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa, but you are encouraged to confirm this with the UKBA for the reasons I state.

  aileen wrote @ October 2nd, 2012 at 04:50

hi,how can i get a visa for greece?i have a boyfriend from that country he ask me to come in his place and all my expences he s gonna pay for it.can u tell me what r the requirements?

Kat Reply:

This question is already answered. See ‘How and where do I get a visa for Greece?’ in the Questions and Answers section.

Having a boyfriend in Greece to pay expenses has nothing to do with getting a visa, in fact that may work against you.

  Sadik wrote @ November 30th, 2012 at 10:22

Hi I have got the Indian passport n currently I am living in Australia on a spouse visa I am going on holiday to Paris n have already got the schenegen visa and I do want to visit Greece but my question is they have given me only 3 days visa for schenegen . Do I still get the greeke tourist visa on arrival or not plz reply me ASAP as I am due to fly in 20 days thank u

Kat Reply:

You cannot apply for a Schengen visa on arrival. It must be secured in advance at the Greek consulate/embassy nearest your residence.

  Michael wrote @ December 10th, 2012 at 01:16


We are planning to come to Greece for 1 weeks holiday next year. I am British with a British passport. My wife is Bolivian with a Bolivian passport. She has permanent residency in the UK. Our 2 children also have British passports. Can you please tell us if she requires a passport??? Thanks for your help.

Kat Reply:

All travelers are required to carry valid, unexpired travel documents; and you said she already has a Bolivian passport. Therefore, I don’t understand the question.

If you meant to ask if she needs a visa, please see the last section called “What if I have a residence permit?” in the Questions and Answers section.

  Charles wrote @ February 5th, 2013 at 18:41

I ve a Nigerian passport, but ve got a uk indefinte on it, can I still travel to Greece without a visa?

Kat Reply:

Under the section ‘Questions and Answers’, read the entry for “What if I have a residence permit?”

  Maria wrote @ February 5th, 2013 at 19:09


Do I need a visa if I am going on a cruise? I have a valad valid US passport.


Kat Reply:

If your cruise is only stopping in Greece, see the section ‘Questions and Answers’ and read the entry for “What if my country is not on the list?”

If your cruise stops in other countries, you need to do further research for all of them.

  Michael wrote @ February 10th, 2013 at 19:15

I have read your website from top to bottom, its very informative. Its also very kind of you to give up your free time to help out people like myself.

I still do however have a question. You have stated…

“If you have plans to travel, visit and stay temporarily in Greece, a valid, unexpired residence/work permit/card or permission to stay issued by an EEA/EU or Schengen member state allows you to stay without a visa for up to 90 days in any 180-day period”

The UK is not a Schengen member so can a non EU member with indefinate indefinite leave to remain issued in the UK still travel to Greece without a visa??

We live in the UK. My wife is from Bolivia she has indefinate indefinite leave to remain in the UK. Can we still go on a weeks holiday to greece without a visa for her even though the UK is not a Schengen member state.

Thanks for your time


Kat Reply:

You quoted part of my answer in “What if I have a residence permit?” In that same section and paragraph, it says there is no way that I (or anyone) can know the permissions granted by every single permit issued by all 27 EU/EEA members and I recommend contacting the border agency, interior ministry or local Greek consulate/embassy of the relevant country to confirm.

You could start with UKBA, which is a very rich resource for citizens and residents of the UK. All best.

  Jo Aura wrote @ April 2nd, 2014 at 17:18

Hello…i wonder f you can help me..
I’m fillipino living in UK and holding a fillipino passport. I’m applying for schengen visa for my holiday in Greece. I had all my requirements submitted and nothing has said until the next day. Someone from the embassy call me and said there is no enough found in my bank account. My bank statement has £549 balance on it. I’m only staying in Greece for one week holiday. Do I need to put more money on my account when their saying that you need to have at least €40 per day to stay in Greece. One minute their saying I can sent my bank statement again by email while the other saying I need to post the statement as email is not allowed. I’m really confused about this.. will u be able to help me understand this..Thank you

Kat Reply:

Greece can ask people to provide proof of funds, as described in “Non-EU travelers to Greece need 50 euros a day.”

Greece is a “results may vary” country, in that two people with identical circumstances can have completely different experiences, told different things or be charged different prices that change by the minute. Why? That’s how it is. It’s like that in Greece for everything.

It is also typical for staff at Greek embassies/consulates to discriminate against non-white persons of all nationalities, as reported by dozens of readers worldwide, including Americans, Australians and Canadians. Tourists experience the same treatment.

Therefore, and unfortunately, there is nothing I can help you with. All you can do is be patient and do what they say, or decide to abandon the process. I wish you luck.

  Amanda wrote @ May 14th, 2014 at 21:19

I am trying to help my Egyptian friend to gain a visa to travel to Greece for 10 day holiday.

We have to book plane tickets, and accommodation before we know whether the visa will be granted !

Does anyone know the amount of money which is expected to be in your account when applying for a visa
Need this information ASAP please

Kat Reply:

See ‘How much money will I need to show?’ in the Questions and Answers section. You may also call the Greek embassy.

You’re welcome.

  George wrote @ December 18th, 2014 at 14:08

Hi. I Have a question. I am Greek but live in Canada and my wife is from Russia. Soon she will become a Canadian permanent resident. Will she need to apply for a visa every time we want to go to Greece for holidays? She currently lives In Russia and we are suppose to meet next week in Greece for the Christmas holidays. She Applied for a Tourist Visa through a company called Global Visa about a month ago and was told that she would get a tourist visa in 5 days. We bought airplane tickets and we are still waiting for her tourist visa! She has been to Greece before but under another passport and name (when we got married she took my last name and had to change all her papers). Why does it take so long for an answer? Is there anything that we can do to speed up the process? We provided all information needed along with proof of return tickets and everything.She is suppose to fly next week!

Kat Reply:

That’s three questions (not one), and two are already answered in the article above. In the Questions and Answers section, see ‘Do I need a visa for Greece?’ ‘Is there anything I can do to make the visa process go faster?’ and ‘What if I’m married to an EU/Greek citizen?’

Further, no reputable company can claim to issue a visa in X number of days as each case is unique. Based on first-hand experience examining cases of visas/permits over 18 years, your case raises suspicion for lots of reasons.
a) You don’t live in the same country. If you lived/married in the same country previous to being separated for good reason, then it may not be a big deal because it shows a long-term and genuine connection. If it’s anything else, it’s a red flag. Why? Visas are frequently denied if the applicant is considered a flight risk (aka, has no reason to return home to family, stable employment, income).
b) Many (not all) Russian women have been known to marry men from westernized countries for visas.
c) She didn’t apply for the visa herself.
d) The name change.
All of these will delay the visa process or stop it from moving forward.

Good luck.

  Kat wrote @ December 20th, 2014 at 20:08

Note to Everyone: I closed this post in February 2013, due to more than 75 percent of readers asking redundant questions.

If this persists, I will permanently close this post to questions. This is my final warning.

If you have a question:
a) Check the ‘Questions and Answers” section. Sounds obvious but many don’t.
b) Contact the interior ministry, border agency or other authority issuing stay permits, if your question pertains to an EEA/EU permit and what it entitles you to do.
c) Contact the Greek consulate/embassy nearest your current residence to confirm if you need a visa.
d) If you encounter problems with the Greek consulate/embassy, or encounter discrimination for being non-white, please realize that (sadly) this is completely normal as the same occurs in Greece. Identical people can have very different experiences for no reason whatsoever. Or as I say, “Results may vary.”

I run this website in my unpaid spare time, which needs to be used efficiently. Thank you.

Sorry, comments are closed at this time.