Living in Greece

A practical guide to moving, living, working & traveling in Greece, plus musing and misadventures from an American in Athens

Certify a dilosi, photocopy or other document in Greece

Υπεύθυνη Δήλωση/ypeythyni dilosi — May not be reused

Living in Greece is synonymous with bureaucracy, and at some point everyone will need to certify a statement of facts or Υπεύθυνη Δήλωση/ypeythyni dilosi, photocopy or other document.

*Article last updated January 2, 2014

Image has been Photoshopped to prevent forgery.

Where to buy an ypeythyni dilosi

A dilosi can be purchased at a kiosk (periptero) or sometimes an office supply store.

A public sector office or KEP Citizen Service Centre may have photocopies of blank ones provided for free, but this is not guaranteed.

How to fill it out

If the name in your passport is in Latin letters, you fill out your name in Latin letters on the dilosi; if the name in your passport is in Greek letters, fill out the dilosi accordingly. Essentially, the dilosi and passport/ID must match or you will be asked to fill out another. Everything else must be in Greek.

Leave the signature blank until the officer or official instructs you to sign in his/her presence.

Where to certify a dilosi, photocopy or other document

If you are certifying a photocopy, you must bring the original document from which the photocopy was made for inspection.

1) At the Police Station

Find a police station by looking in your map book from the kiosk (periptero), call ‘11888’ or use the List of Greek Police Stations from the Greek Passport Center website, which provides the address, map, phone number and hours of operation for each location:

* Arriving at the police station, there may be an officer inquiring about the nature of your business before allowing you to enter. If you don’t speak much Greek, you can just show him the document and make a stamping motion with your hand, and he’ll give you directions to the office.

* Show the dilosi, document or photocopy to the police officer. He/she will read it, perhaps ask a question.

* You will be asked for identification, which will be a Greek ID for citizens and a passport for non-Greek citizens; sometimes non-EU citizens are asked for their residence/work permit, but it is not a requirement. If everything is in order, your transaction will be recorded in a register, stamps will be affixed to the document, ink stamped a few times and signed by the officer.

* For this service, you could be charged anywhere between .10 cents to 1 euro.
I’ve had the same document stamped at the same police station by the same officer and been charged very different prices. Sometimes I’m allowed a freebie for reasons unknown.

Some police stations will not certify photocopies of foreign birth certificates or anything else they can’t read and try to point you to the Foreign Ministry’s Translation Office even if you don’t need a translation. If the photocopy is of a birth certificate, they should certify and accept it as long as you have the original to show. If they won’t do it or give you trouble for whatever reason, you can:
a) Leave willingly and go back to the station another time in hopes of getting a different officer who will perform the task; or
b) certify the photocopy on the 3rd floor of the Foreign Ministry’s Translation Office. See “Official Translations to Greek” for the address and hours of operation.

2) At a public sector office

Any municipality office (nomarxeia, dimos, eforia, etc.) that requests a photocopy or dilosi can certify it for free, as long as you bring the original. The only time this untrue is when instructions specifically state that you must have it done by a police station, lawyer or KEP.

3) At Kentro Enimerosis Politon (KEP)

The Citizen Service Centre (KEP) is also authorized to certify dilosis, photocopies and other documents for free by bringing them and your ID/passport to any location. To locate one nearest you, call ‘1500’ or see:

4) Lawyers

Lawyers can also certify a dilosi, photocopy or other document for higher fees, but for some documents it is necessary if the police station and KEP refuse.

5) Outside Greece

Greek consulates/embassies also offer this service, if you are living in a country other than Greece. Some locations charge a fee; some do not.

Plagiarism note

In March 2010 this article was plagiarized by a UK INFOrmation source that rewrote my experiences as their own, then published them and my information in a competing article. They twice refused to do the right thing and enforce their own copyright policy.

In May 2013, the UK Foreign Office also copied details from this post and refused list the source.

Be careful who you trust.

Related posts

How to get an apostille
Official translation of documents into Greek

website metrics

No comments yet

Sorry, comments are closed at this time.